Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jaz, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I have viewed the posts here often and enjoyed the feedback so I decided to join!

I have an interview tomorrow with my home district. I have worked in this district as an aide, student teacher and substitute teacher over the past 6 years. I am so nervous. I have interviewed with them before (the past 2 summers) but haven't gotten a permanent job yet. What does it take? The candidates hired the past 2 times were younger than me (I entered the field later than most) or related to someone in the district! I am getting very frustrated subbing and being at their beck and call but not being deemed worthy of a job! Anyone have the secret?:confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

Hi and welcome!!!

Don't sweat those people who have already been hired; they're not in competition for the job you're up for.

This is all about what you can do for the district. As I read it, you're in a position to do a lot. You know the district, its strengths, its weaknesses, a lot of the personnel... it's up to you to sell all those things tomorrow.

Do you have a pamphlet or something else visual you could hand out? Do you have concrete examples of the work you've done that has been particularly creative or effective?

This is the time to go in and SELL them on the idea that they've known all along-- that they want YOU in there educating their kids!

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

If they weren't interested in you, you wouldn't have an interview at all (there are a lot of people subbing in my district who never get an interview there).

Read up on this forum on possible questions for your interview, and go in with a positive attitude.

What grade is the position?

Keep us posted!

5. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Good Luck and keep us posted!!

6. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Jaz, I completely understand how you are feeling. I too am in PA and I too have fought for several years to a get a job. After many years of LTS positions, I chose to leave the district. Now I don't know if it was the right idea, I was just tired of school board members relatives getting the job. You must be great at what you do for them to keep having you back. Good Luck tomorrow and knock their socks off with your knowledge!!

I wonder if it is the same school? I too have an interview at my "childhood" school.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

Good luck!

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2009

Good luck!

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Welcome! I wish you good luck! It really does sound like you are doing everything that you could. Maybe if you are interviewing with a principal that doesn't know you, you could provide a resume to him or her that way they could see you have lots of experience in the county.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

Ditto on Alice's advice about the brochure- change something up about your interview this time...bring an updated portfolio, or sample lessons, or a brochure...Make yourself stand out, make them take notice of something they didn't see in you before.
    Good luck!!:angel:

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 12, 2009

1) Dress professionally and WEAR a smile. Greet them with warm handshake and look into their eyes as you greet them.
    2) They will probably ask you about yourself - Keep it professional and talk about your experiences with children. On a side note let them know that you are a people person and if you are married and/or have children, I would also let them know that.
    3) Be honest. Let them know you are excited and nervous to be there, but you are thrilled to be interviewing in their school.
    4) Always relate their questions back to children. They are looking for kid friendly answers.
    5) If you don't know the answer to something they ask - Let them know that you are a go getter and that you will ask the appropriate persons for help when you have questions... a mentor teacher, a teacher on your unit, an administrator.
    6) If possible, bring in some humor... If they ask for a weakness, say something witty like, "interviewing," I am so nervous right now because I really want to work at this school.
    7) Have your portfolio or brochure ready to illustrate your answers to their questions. If possible include lots of photos in your portfolio or brochure of you in action with children. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    8) Be articulate, creative, and expressive. But, do not babble. Practice some of the questions posted online. Just pretend someone is talking to you so the answer will be on the tip of your tongue if you are asked. Familiarize yourself with some of the questions if you feel silly practicing.
    9) SMILE, SMILE, SMILE
    10)I they ask if you have anything you might like to share or ask, talk about some of the classes you may have taken, or some strategies that you have used, any technology skills that you have, or any innovative training that you may have acquired.

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!:):):)
    Let us know how it turns out. We all care.

12. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I have LTS in this district 4 times. This past year was almost the full year so maybe this will be the charm! It is a 4th grade position. I was told last year that I would be perfect for lower Elem. K-3. Of course that is where most of my experience is so I guess I just have to show that I am flexible/experienced enough to succeed in any grade! I will keep you posted.

13. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

Jaz, I live in PA too and I am very aware of how tough it is. I am curious what district you are interviewing with? PM me!

14. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Make sure you are using education buzzwords as you explain how you will make your classroom into an appropriate environment of best practices. Maybe spend some time today reading some articles about cooperative learning, technology, authentic assessment, etc. You can show that you are current in the field and that you care about research-based practices and professional growth.

15. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

Close

Think bout this: you must be close to being hired or you wouldn't have been able to stay associated with this district for so long. Stay positive during your interview. Good Luck!

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Best wishes to you and keep your hear head up. I was once told when they ask about your weakness make sure you say something positive. Dedication is a weakness for me at time because I am at the school for many, many hours then I work on things at home. You have to have a balance. Again, I hope that this is your year.

17. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Welcome, and good luck! Let us know how it goes!

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

Oh, I forgot to say welcome!!

19. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2009

PA girls: Good luck to you all! Here in central PA, most districts are heavily into Learning Focused Schools (LFS) which emphasize essential questions (like an objective in question form), graphic organizers, and group activites (think pair share). PM me with specific questions or about districts.

20. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Good luck!

21. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I, too, have been a sub and long term sub for many years in my "home" district. I have had many interviews with them but never offered the job. I wish you luck!

22. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Keep your chin up! You are super familiar with the district and remind them of that! Say something along the lines of, "I feel like I have grown up professionally at this district. I was an aide, ST, and LTS. I want to stay a part of this community, and I want to show you what I can do in the classroom setting."

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

Remember to keep it all about what YOU can do for THEM. How your background in the district makes YOU their best candidate!