Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dkjackson, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Well, I have an interview tomorrow afternoon. It's for a middle school Read 180 position that just opened up. I've got my interview outfit and portfolio ready to go. I'm feeling really good about this one, not to jinx it. Before I even got the call, I'd done a bit of research on Read 180 because they use it in the district I live in, where I was first applying. And honestly, the more I read about it and hear about it, the more I explore their website and take product tours, the more excited I get about the program! I've always been so passionate about reading, so to be able to share that passion with struggling readers, and help them improve their reading skills and get them excited about reading... Excited just really doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling!

I just hope my nerves don't get in the way tomorrow. This is only my second teaching interview ever, and while I know I know my stuff, I sometimes just get so nervous when I first get there. I just hope that I can calm myself down on the drive there (it'll take me a good 45 minutes to get there), and that my passion and my excitement for the program will shine through any nerves I might have.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2009

Good luck!!!! Let us know how it goes:)

4. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 1, 2009

Yes, dk, I know how you feel about interviews. I haven't had very many either even though I have taught for 14 years. I taught for 12 years at the same school till a new P came and ruined it.
    You would think the experience would be an advantage, but not so. I am really shy and get so nervous when talking to "adults" that I rattle on and say stupid things.
    I really think that to be a good interviewer you have to sale yourself and I can't sell anything!

5. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Interviews are definitely all about selling yourself. And while, after three years in the jewelry business (and five years total in retail), I could sell you a diamond you probably don't need if you sat down and gave me ten minutes, I still have not learned to sell myself.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

Good luck!

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

Best wishes to you. Let us know how it goes.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

Good luck!

And make sure that some of your excitement about the reading program shines through, including the fact that you had started to research it BEFORE you found out that they were using it.

9. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Thanks everyone! Alice, I will make sure to work that into the conversation :)

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2009

Wishing you more good luck!!!! Alice is right, as usual :)

11. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Hey, if you can sell diamonds, surely you can sell yourself!
    go in thinking I am going to make

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 2, 2009

Good Luck dk :) Let your passion shine through :)

13. smalltowngal

Jul 2, 2009

Keep us updated on how it went!!!!

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Let us know how it went!!!

15. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Will do! I'm heading out soon, so expect an update when I get back!

16. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Well that was weird.

So I got there about fifteen minutes before my interview was scheduled to begin. They were running a little late, which was fine. I sat and talked to the secretary (such a sweet lady, she will definitely be getting a thank you note!) until a little after three. The interviewers came to get me about ten minutes after three and took me into the office and the interview started. And this is where it got weird.

They didn't start with "Tell us about yourself." In fact, they never even asked it! It totally threw me off! Well, not totally, but it struck me as odd, that's for sure. We talked about my subbing experience, the classroom management techniques I'd been able to practice during my subbing assignments and my overall classroom management approach, and then lesson plans came up. They asked if I had experience with lesson plans, and I pulled out my portfolio with samples because the only experience I have is from my ACP classes and the ones I did for my portfolio. Well this brought up technology, and they were impressed that I seemed so comfortable with technology (apparently every student at this school is issued a laptop, so they are huge on technology). We talked about involving parents in the class, getting students motivated, and assessing their improvement. I was excited (maybe overly so) and really tried to incorporate examples from my subbing and ACP classes. But I have to admit, I didn't watch myself when it came to gesturing. I was pretty animated and expressive... but I couldn't help myself, I was just so excited!

And then... "Do you have any questions for us?" Yeah, that was it on their end! So I asked my few questions (they'd already answered a lot of them in our opening conversation about the class). When I asked about extra-curriculars, I asked particularly about publications and they were both very excited that I have pretty extensive yearbook experience because they lost their yearbook sponsor recently and didn't have an actual book last year (just a DVD version of the yearbook that, I think, a lot of people didn't really like too much). This whole thing took all of fifteen to twenty minutes. I'm not exaggerating. Which has me terrified! I've gathered that these interviews should really last longer than that...

BUT BUT BUT!!! There's a but. After I asked my questions and they told me the timeline for making a decision, they offered to take me on a tour and show me the classroom! Which I've gathered from the threads on here is a good sign! We spent some time in the classroom looking at books and things, and they told me the basic layout of the rest of the school and how the library schedule works and things like that. I really loved it...

I just got such mixed signals. The interview was so short, but then I got a tour. The language they were using was also different from my first interview. And I probably shouldn't be analyzing their language, but I can't help it! At my first interview, it was all hypothetical-sounding ("You would be teaching..." and "Your duties would be..."), but this time their language seemed a lot more certain ("You'll be teaching"... "You will definitely get training, and our old Read 180 teacher will be here to help you..."). I know I shouldn't be analyzing things like that, but like I said, I just can't help it!

Anyway, they seemed to like my answers and my portfolio, they took me on a tour, I really liked everyone I met there... it was just such a short interview! They said the job is posted until July 10, and they think they have a couple more interviews to conduct early next week. They'll make their recommendation to HR on July 13, who will then contact the candidate they choose for the position. Someone will contact me either way, but I shouldn't expect to hear anything until after July 13.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

When I conducted interviews, I don't think I ever asked the 'tell me about yourself" question. I wanted a conversation with the person I was interviewing-- a feel for how they would fit in-- and not a canned response.

It sounds as though your interview went incredibly well.

18. smalltowngal

Jul 2, 2009

I've had short interviews as well. In fact, both interviews I had that led to my offer were less than 30 minutes long. The AP after the first interview gave me a brief tour, but she knew I had already subbed there so knew my way around.

19. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Oh no, now you're getting my hopes up, STG! Haha! I really got some good vibes, I just don't want to get too hopeful, you know?

20. smalltowngal

Jul 2, 2009

I understand!! With this job, I honestly felt that I had the job even before they called to offer me the job. So good vibes and hopefulness is okay!

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 2, 2009

:)My interviews were not terribly long either. It sounds like you did well, felt relaxed, and they already had done their research about you. It sounds good! Be positive!

22. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Not really. I have had short interviews (15 minutes) and longer interviews. I think that it really depends on how long they have for the interviews. My short interview was due to time. They completed all the interviews in one day. They had candidates back to back with little time between them. I think they kept the interviews short so that they would have time to discuss between them.

I think that showing you around your potential classroom is a really good sign that you may have the position.:)

23. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

Sounds like it went well!!

Keep us posted!!
    Good Luck!!

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I would say if they gave you a tour, that is a very good sign.

25. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Jul 2, 2009

Ahh, I wish I didn't have to wait so long!! I hate to say it, but I really just got such good vibes off my interviewers, the secretary I spoke with, and just off the whole experience! I'm feeling so good about everything but the time issue, and from what you all are saying, that's really not as big an issue as I'm making it. I don't want to get my hopes up, but... Ahhh!!!!

26. smalltowngal

Jul 2, 2009

My dh would be the same way. He says that if you don't get your hopes up, you can't be let down. Well, I tell him.. :p It sounds like everything is falling into place!

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 2, 2009

I agree that a tour is a really good sign. Best of luck! :)