interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by scienceteach82, May 3, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 3, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow at a school that is a bit different than my current one. I am now at a private catholic school...and will be interviewing at a private methodist school. I've never seen so many questions about my personal faith in Jesus Christ on an application...but apparently my answers were ok enough for them to invite me to meet them.
    How do I explain that I want to be at their school ?(I am Catholic)
    For those that haven't followed my story...I was let go after a horrible year of trying to live up to their standards...and even though I met them...they still told me I wasn't good enough. What should I say about that when they ask me why I want to leave the school? I resigned in lieu of being fired basically...Principal told me that way he could still give me a reference...and say 'it wasn't a good fit'....or some BS like that...
    How do you explain to a potential school that it wasn't a good fit? My mom says that I should say I was let go due to economy...which would make sense to most...but...I'm worried that they might call my current school and ask...

any advice would be much appreciated! thanks :)

3. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

May 3, 2009

oooh....definitely don't lie!! They will most certainly contact the old school and it is a christian school,,,so you will most certainly not get hired..I would guess anyway. Especially after what you said about the application process. I would be honest. Sometimes it seems a school especially private is not always the perfect place for everyone :) GOOD LUCK

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 3, 2009

I agree to not lie, because they'll probably call your old school. The only thing I can come up with is to say something about how it's not a good fit because your philosophy doesn't match your current school and then explain how it does match the school you're interviewing in. Good luck, st!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 3, 2009

I wouldn't lie. I would just say that the school was not a good fit for you and your philosophy on teaching. I wish you the best of luck tomorrow!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 3, 2009

Good Luck with your interview :) While I haven't followed what has gone on with your job this year, I do remember your passion, confidence and knowledge at the beginning of this school year. Don't let this shake your confidence - you are a great teacher. Smile, look everyone in the eye and give a firm handshake.

Good Luck and I'll be sending good vibes your way tomorrow :)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 3, 2009

Good luck tomorrow st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree, don't lie and I think explaining that it wasn't a good fit for you and yur teaching philosophy is the best way to go...and thats true, so you should be safe! I'll be thinking about you tomorrow!!! :hugs:

8. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

I agree with everyone ..just wanted to say

GOOD LUCK!!!! :) :) :) :)

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 3, 2009

Good luck!

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 3, 2009

thanks...the thing is...stupid school did fit with my teaching philosophy....
    I don't know how to answer the question :(

they basically have the same mission/goals....

11. smalltowngal

May 3, 2009

Then I would say something like, "Even though the school's mission and goals aligned with my own philosopy of teaching, the way the school carried them out did not fit with how I think they should be carried out."

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 3, 2009

nice, stg...thanks :)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 3, 2009

I agree with stg!!!

14. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 4, 2009

Best of luck today ST! Go in confident knowing you are the BEST person for this job.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 4, 2009

Thanks for the support. I just finished updating some thing in my portfolio...hopefully I will get it!

16. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

Or, "I didn't feel like my strengths were being utilized." or "I was ready for a more ____ environment" (technologically involved, collaborative learning, etc something unique about the school.)

17. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 4, 2009

It is possible to have the same goals as a school but to want to go about them in different ways. This is how it was for me at my last school. I was hired by one administration and another took over the next year and while they did not change the mission of the school, they went about the mission in a different way. I left last year after enduring 4 years of conflict and turmoil. Good luck on your interview today! You are going to be a great teacher in the right school for you!

18. smalltowngal

May 4, 2009

Good luck today, st!

19. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 4, 2009

eh...
    Apparently he knows my principal, and the school I am at very well...
    I had a hard time trying to tell him that it wasn't a good fit...and stuff like that...
    I spoke to him for about an hour...but I just don't have the best feeling about it :(
    He said he is interviewing a lot of people...and there are still 2more rounds to go. He also asked if it was ok to contact my references...and my current principal...-sigh-
    I wanted to cry when i left...this has been the only interview from a school I have gotten since I sent resumes in january...

I tried to give examples...show him my portfolio...he notes that some of my answers were 'good'....or nodded a lot.

I didn't get the same feeling at that school as I did when I interviewed with my current one. I am so angry at current P and admin...and stupid department head...and myself...
    I wanted to stay here...

20. smalltowngal

May 4, 2009

:hugs: st. I'm sorry that you didn't get a good feeling from the interview. It might have gone better than you think though. Will you have another interview with them if you are moved through, or is this it? Crossing my fingers for you, and praying for good news!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 4, 2009

I'm sorry that you don't think that it went well, st. But it might have gone better than you thought that it did.

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 4, 2009

this was initial interview...then he will bring back people to meet more admin team...then cut to final 2 to meet with president of school

23. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 4, 2009

Sorry to hear it didn't go as well as you had hoped. Think positive though, it could have been better than you thought.

24. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 4, 2009

:hug: Gosh, I'm sorry the interview was rough. It's amazing how much principals talk, admins chat from the different districts, and they all compare notes. I think if you were honest and doing your best during the interview and displaying your professionalism, you did well. I may be thinking too deep about this, because I'm all for you getting the job, but he did call you for an interview so that's something, right? :)

Thinking good thoughts for you!

25. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 4, 2009

thanks...just a bit bummed

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 4, 2009

:hugs: I'm sure it went better than you thought. My fingers and toes are crossed for you :)

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 4, 2009

:hugs: st

28. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 4, 2009

:hugs: I am sure it went better than you thought Scienceteacher we are always are own worst critic- :hugs:

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 5, 2009

thanks for the encouragement