Interview Tomorrow!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by maebowler, Sep 11, 2007.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

I am interviewing for a 2nd grade position tomorrow. I'm really excited, but nervous. I worked in the same school last year as a LTS for 5th grade. The principal called and told me about the position before it was posted. He said that he thought that the 2nd grade class would be a better fit between teacher and students.

I have worked with almost all the students when I was a paraprofessional two years ago, when they were in kindergarten. I know a lot of the parents as well. Last year, before switching jobs, I worked with 1/5 of the 1st graders and guessing about 1/5 will be kids from that classroom, but I was also out with the 1st graders at recess and know a lot of them through there.

Any ideas or things I should prepare for in the interview. I know they use Everyday Math, which I've taught and had experience with, and the reading curriculum is new to everyone, so we are all in the same boat.

One last question, if you were/are a principal: would you hire a teacher with background of the parents/students, knows the school, and you have seen do good work or would you hire a teacher with years of experience?

3. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 11, 2007

Good luck maebowler!
    If I was a principal I would like someone I knew had a rapport with the parents and the students....but I'm not. I can't tell what goes on in their heads!

He called you before the position was posted - that's a good sign. Just go in and sell yourself!!

MsSub

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 11, 2007

Good luck!

5. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 11, 2007

Yea, i agree with mssub, he called you so that's DEF a good sign.

However, that's a toughie. Choosing between knowing firsthand what you can do (maybe @ a different grade level) and someone who has the exact experience @ that grade level. I probably would choose someone i KNOW, but that's a toughie.

I wish you well, and do your best and say a little prayer for the right words. You'll do fine.

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Sep 11, 2007

Good Luck! You need to sell the fact that you know the staff, students, and parents! In the interview they usually ask if you have any questions, see if you can find a couple that really show you know the district. I would suggest Waxler's srticle if you haven't read it yet on interviewing!:2up:

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Sep 12, 2007

You've got LOTS of advantages on this interview. The principal seeked you out and you didn't have to apply/follow up like other candidates might have. You also know the school, students, and parents. That is always a plus because you can answer questions with first hand experience of the school. Like cmw said, play it up that you have all these experiences with the school. I have good feelings about this for you! Think happy, positive thoughts and good luck! Keep us posted!

8. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 13, 2007

I didn't get the job. I kinda feel like, if I can't get this job, I won't be able to get any job. I am really frustrated. The principal said I did a great job and he wanted to other principal there to see me. URGH.

9. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 13, 2007

aawww, i'm so sorry mae. have a daiquiri..

on the positive side, at least the waiting game is over for you and you KNOW. i don't know why people around here don't call you and keep you posted or give you a heads up or something!

10. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Sep 13, 2007

I'm Sorry Mae

That same thing happened to a friend of mine. The principal asked hm to interview, so he did....and didn't get the job:confused:

This is a tough market. Keep looking and don't lose your confidence. Many of these jobs are earmarked for specific candidates, but still have to be posted and interviewed for.

Hugs

11. Lucynsky

Lucynsky New Member

Sep 17, 2007

That haapen to me. The principal I did my student teaching at asked my to interview and than I was told by the district office that I pretty much had the job then a week later they told me they gave it to someone else. I was so hurt. The only reason I could think of is I have my master's and the district didnt want to pay extra for a first time teacher.

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 17, 2007

Good Luck. You will love second grade.