Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach2heart, Aug 30, 2007.

1. teach2heart

teach2heart Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Hi all, Has anyone ever been hired for the school year at the last minute? I have an interview tomorrow morning (Friday) and school starts Tuesday! So if I get offered the position I will have 3 days to get ready. I guess I should just be thankful if I get it and have at least more than 1 day, tee hee :) Last year I got a long-term sub position late in September and started teaching 3 days after I got hired. Plus I didn't have any time to prepare in the classroom! Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if you have any get-ready for the school year quick ideas?! Thanks :)

3. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 30, 2007

I haven't gotten hired late in the year, but unfortunately I've been a reason why schools have had to look late in the year (I resigned this late in the year last year even though i knew way beforehand-i know, how wrong). So it's definitely possible. I'm a professional procrastinator :) so last minute getting things together (not 1am last minute but like a day or the weekend kinda thing) is right up my alley!! And you figure Tues will be all about rules and routines and getting to know you type things. So really all you will have to do is sit down and gather your thoughts enough to get some rules & maybe fun games or activities for that. I know at my first job we went back tues and weds but the kids went back on thurs. So it may be the same for you as well. And that tues and weds was when the classroom decorating began. I mean, worse case scenario, you could make classroom decorating an activity and have the kids help you. Then they would feel like they were part of it and contributed to their learning environment. Get what i'm saying? Or you could try and get in on a weekend (if it's not done by the end of the week) or early in the morning or just stay later a couple days this week. Because I know sometimes kids want to come into an environment that's already set up. So......... That's all i have to say. Hope this helps! I wish you well tomorrow.

4. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Aug 30, 2007

Last minute... yes. I was hired thirty minutes before I met my students. The first three days this week have gone pretty smooth the teacher on maternity leave left me notes for the first three. This weekend I will be cramming to learn the reading program they use and make lesson plans. Here's my tip... take it one day at a time.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  5. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

Teach2Heart - Good luck tomorrow. I am sure you will do well. I myself am waiting to here tomorrow if I was the lucky one chosen for the position for a school district that has already started. Sending good vibes your way!