Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 30, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 30, 2017

I have an interview tomorrow at 9am. A high school about 50 miles from home. I didn't write any letter of interest for that position but the principal called me about an hour ago to ask if I were interested. It's the same school system that has the half and half positions at two schools. Ironically, I sent a letter of interest for that one. The deadline for applying doesn't even close until June 1st and I'm already getting called for a position I didn't apply for!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 30, 2017

Best of luck! I truly hope you take the time to research the school and decide if it is a good fit for you.

4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

May 30, 2017

50 miles is quite a drive. Would you be willing to move closer if you were hired? Didn't you have a bad experience this year partially due to a long commute?

SageScience and mathmagic like this.
  5. Daniellya

Daniellya Rookie

May 31, 2017

How'd it go??

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2017

50 miles is a lot. Wasn't commute one of your issues? I would definitely try to stay under 25 miles. It doesn't hurt to interview, and have a last choice just in case, but you don't want to end up like last time, driving hours every day.

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 31, 2017

It would be nice to shorten the commute but the math jobs around my hometown aren't open. I didn't mind the commute for my last job. It was more a failure of classroom mgmt. and I just need a change of scenery. There's a relatively large school district 50 miles east that has openings for math and science but I don't want to drive into the sun both ways! My 3 interviews previous turned up empty. Ironically, the interviews I've had aren't from systems using the state online application. I guess my name is getting filtered because of non-renewal.

8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 31, 2017

I think it went OK. I kinda surprised him by saying I didn't apply for the position and got called anyway. He said he got my name from the super. I guess the super gave the P my name and didn't read my letter? We really didn't conduct a formal interview. I was expecting his writing notes using a set of questions. Instead, he talked about what courses I would be teaching and what classes I had just taught. Then, he asked if I were familiar with software that they use and I said no. We walked into a classroom that contained the software and clicker-remotes and he told me how they are used. Before that, he showed a classroom where maintenance was waxing the floor. He said something like, "This would be the classroom you'll be in. There's a projector and computer." We continued talking in the hallway about how the poverty levels in his town and where I worked are very similar. He also said he likes hiring male teachers because of the lack of father figures. Most of our interview, if that can be called that, was spent walking and talking. He then told me to go to Central Office and write a letter of interest for his school.

Afterwards, I went to the district's BOE and asked why and how my name was sent to the P even when I didn't write a letter of interest. The secretary really didn't know but told me that there weren't many applicants for the place I went to and the 1/2 and 1/2 schools.

So, after all this, I went home. Sent a letter of interest to CO and a thank you to the P.

9. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 31, 2017

Why did you keep questioning the interview? You were called, you went, so just go with it.

anon55 likes this.
  10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

May 31, 2017

I like to understand why and the process. ;)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 2, 2017

I interviewed at a Catholic school once and then 3 other Catholic schools within 20 miles of each other called me for an interview. Apparently, they all talk to one another and share candidates (they told me without me having to ask). I ended up not going to the other interviews because I decided to stay at my current job and start grad school but I thought it was interesting to be called even though I didn't apply to all of those schools. Saved me some stamps!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2017

UPDATE: The P replied to my thank you letter asking the following:

"If you're offered the spot, will you not back out?"

Has anyone seen this from a P before?

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2017

Maybe that P is a member of these boards?;)
    Seriously, the P knows that this will be a long commute and he can figure out that your last job, that you are leaving, is a long commute. You also did not specifically apply for the job. He is trying to be proactive and offer the job to someone who actually wants it.

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2017

I'm having trouble answering the e-mail. Saying that I will commit still doesn't mean he'll offer it to me. So, if I say I commit, then I'd be in a holding pattern until he offers. Then he could offer it to someone else and I'd lose time. If I say I won't commit, then it'd be over.

15. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2017

I guess you could say that you would commit if offered the job, but you will continue to apply for jobs in the meantime.

16. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 5, 2017

I wouldn't stop applying until I had the offer. I read that as if would you commit if I offered the job now.

17. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 5, 2017

It's time to think long and hard about if you really want this position. This isn't the time to commit simply because a job is better than no job. Clearly, this principal wants somebody who will be there for the long haul. If you tell the P you would commit if offered, then if the position is offered you would need to accept and stop interviewing other places. You would need to put 100% effort into making this job work long-term--that includes your lesson delivery, attitude, involvement in school activities, etc. If you are not willing to be an active part of this school community in every way, then I would back out of the situation now.

K6TEACHER19 and Luv2TeachInTX like this.
  18. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2017

After discussion and thought with da wifey, weighing pros and cons, I replied saying I would accept if offered and will not back out.

Today, he replied back with an offer and I accepted!

19. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jun 6, 2017

Congrats!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  20. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2017

Congratulations! Now go enjoy your summer!!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  21. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jun 6, 2017

Congratulations! Now you know what to prepare for next school year. Here's to a good school year!

Pi-R-Squared likes this.
  22. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2017

Thanks everyone! I feel very relieved knowing I can start preparing early in the summer instead of 4 days before inservice.

I left my position at a poor white school and will work at an even poorer white school. 70% of children under 18 lives below the poverty line. I had a year of experience trying to teach in that atmosphere. This could be much more challenging.

23. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jun 7, 2017

Congratulations on getting the job!!

24. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2017

Private messaging does still work, but I don't know what the criteria are to be able to access it.

25. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2017

I sent a private msg to you.

anon55 likes this.
  26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 9, 2017

I hope it is a fulfilling year!

27. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2017