Interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine24, Jul 2, 2014.

1. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

Hi everyone :)
    So, I never heard back from my interview from last week and am chalking it up to a loss but interview experience :(

Anyways, I got a call this morning for an interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. The position is for a 4th/5th grade 12:1:1 Special Education teacher. I'm really excited because I love 12:1:1 classrooms (did my student teaching in one), but am a bit nervous because of the 2 grade levels in the class. Does anyone have experience with this type of setting that can shed some light and give me some tips on what to be prepared for in the interview? I really need to rock this one and land myself a full time job!!

Thanks!

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 2, 2014

Good luck with your interview! I teach 3rd/4th self-contained. Teaching two grade levels in one room sounds daunting, by you'll most likely be ability-grouping, anyway, so I wouldn't worry so much about multiple grade levels. I group by ability rather than grade level. It makes much more sense.

Be prepared to discuss how you'll be differentiating by ability and grouping your students, utilizing your para, managing behaviors, using whatever assistive technology is available, and using assessments.

BTW, I'm a bit envious of your 12 student limit. I'm due to have 16 little ones next year. :)

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

Thanks for the info and the tips! I'm a bit nervous but am gathering up questions and answers as I type.

Ha...I'm kinda excited by the thought of such a small class for my first year of teaching.

5. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 2, 2014

Just wanted to wish you good luck! Your portfolio handouts (from the other thread) sound awesome and is really impressive. Remember the admin are just regular people like you or I. Don't be intimidated by them. Answer your questions thoughtfully and relate your experiences to your answers.

Put it out in the universe that you're gonna land this job!! Keep us updated. :)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

Good luck!

7. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 2, 2014

Another interview?! You lucky duck!!! Good luck!!!

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

Yay good luck! I've taught a 2/3rd combo class before but it was all gen ed. I would take the advice jersey girl said.

Fingers crossed for you!

9. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

Froreal3: Thanks for the tips! I am nervous, but not as bad as last time lol. I'm going to try to walk in there calm and confident. I am definitely going to leave my usual packet/folder behind, but will not be doing the flash drive this time (too much $ for every interview & not enough time).

giraffe326: thank you :)

teacher gii: thanks! I wasn't expecting another interview so soon either. I was hoping that a few calls may come in next week after the holiday, but I don't know. I'm worried that interviews are going to be hard to come by.

Bunnie: Thanks! The two grade grouping has me a little freaked, but I am really going to try to stress differentiation and ability (rather than grade level) grouping, like jerseygirlteach suggested.

10. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

UPDATE: I just got back from the interview. I think it went okay. I wasn't as nervous as last time and I don't think my face got too red lol (although I was wiped out from climbing 8 flights of stairs). I did notice myself talking fast and some "ummm's" coming out, so I tried to calm down and focus. The principal was great and I would love to work for her. The school environment seems like a great match for me as well.

The principal said that she will be making a decision by mid-week next week. So, fingers crossed that this is it. I cannot take much more interviewing and desperately need a job for September. Also hoping that some more schools call for interviews next week, so that I at least have some stuff scheduled before summer runs out.

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 3, 2014

sunshine24 that sounds great! Perhaps an even better fit and environment for you.......fingers crossed!

I find myself talking fast in interviews as well :(

12. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 3, 2014

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. Sounds like you did better in this interview. I have to say I totally get the being worn down from the interview process. We both need to find something soon before we get too worn down by this process!

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

That sounds promising :)

Keep us posted.

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

Thanks everyone! Will update when I hear something, but I'm not expecting any news until Tuesday or Wednesday. I was praying for a phone call yesterday, but it never came lol. I just figured: if it really went well and she wanted to hire me, I would have heard quickly, but who knows. She seemed interested and even went so far as to show me the school yearbook at the end,which I kind of thought she didn't really have to do if the whole interview wasn't going well, so I took that as a good sign? I drive myself crazy analyzing every move made during an interview. Nothing to do now but wait :(

hep223: Exactly! The process is just so mentally and physically draining. All the preparing, the nerves, and then the dreaded wait really takes a toll on a person. I am trying to convince myself that "I WILL have a job for September" because I cannot afford not to and cannot keep going through this each year. I hope that this is our year to land jobs!

15. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 4, 2014

That sound great! Honestly in terms of the interview process the more you go on the more calm you become. Honestly it really depends on the vibe you get from the hiring committee which can put you at ease.

For the job offer I got I totally had a few umms for questions or had some rambling answers because I had a brain fart lol. But at the same time I found a way to relax and joke here and there with them and show my personality.

Always just be yourself! Personality matters and you have your degrees so you know your stuff. Just tell yourself if this is meant to be it will be!

16. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 4, 2014

It sounds like it went well! Keep yourself busy and the waiting game won't seem as bad. I've been on many hiring committees this year, and there have been many candidates that we'd love to hire on the spot but have to wait until we finish up all of our interviews, hence the wait. Keep us updated!

17. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

Bunnie: Thanks, I agree about the vibe from the interviewers. This principal was so relaxed and laid-back that it helped ease my nerves a bit.

LMichele: Thank You. I'm hoping that is the case here, although I can't help but think that someone better (or at least not as nervous) will be interviewing at a later date and I'll get the dreaded rejection email lol.

18. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

Sunshine, I echo what LMichele is saying. When I was first looking, I got a call to schedule an interview and they gave me a three week range of dates to choose from. I chose one of the last ones (because it was several hours away and I was hoping to get a job somewhere else so I wouldn't have to do the drive/hotel, ha. Didn't work). Anyway, I ended up getting hired at that school, along with two other people. When I first applied, there were two positions, but the principal had a feeling another one would open up due to numbers. I was one of the last people interviewed, but I still had to wait a few days for everything to go through, and HR is the one who calls to do the offers in that district.

The other two people where interviewed during the first two weeks, so they had much longer waits!

A lot of people do walk out with an offer, but there are also a lot of people who have to wait a while, too! You never know what is going on on the other side!

19. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

monkeyrun: That's true. I know that waiting is usually part of the process, but since I have yet to have a good outcome from the waiting, it drives me nuts. And so many principals are just flat out rude and unprofessional when they do not get back to you either way...especially when they specify that they will! I just find it so uncalled for and kinda mean to leave applicants hanging...you never fully get closure from that interview, ya know?
    Thanks for the advice :)

20. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 4, 2014

Hi! You and I both have got to start thinking positive. We just have to calm down, relax, and let ourselves be great in our interviews as we are good teachers! :)

21. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 7, 2014

Update:

I know that it is only Monday and that the principal said that a decision won't be made until mid-week, but I am already contemplating my status email lol. I was really hoping to hear back by now and am now thinking that I will be getting the dreaded rejection email or nothing at all. I start out on the kinda positive side and then I slide right over to negativity :(

I am thinking I will send the status email tomorrow night or Wednesday and will continue to hope for the best. Recent familial events have made it clear that I NEED a job for September and I am praying that I get good news with this one.

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

I know it's hard but keep the faith! I wouldn't send a status email until Friday. Since they didn't give you an exact date it might be because they need to coordinate schedules for other interviews and a meeting to discuss who to hire.

Personally I wouldn't even send a status email at all, my thought is if they want to hire you they will call with the offer!

Still sending positive vibes your way!!

23. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks for the positive thoughts !

That was always my thinking as well re: the status email, so I never used to send one. But then I was talking to some teachers a few months ago and they said to send one because it shows just how interested you are in the position. Idk, I always flip flop on it. I sent one for my last interview and never heard a peep. I figured it cant hurt to send one for this one either, but maybe I will keep thinking about it.

24. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

Yeah I know what you mean. I think showing up for the interview shows interest enough. I think people who aren't interested decline an offer or email the principal to take them out of consideration.

If you are going to send a status email I would wait a few days from when the said they would make a decision up to about a week. So if it were me I would really send one out next Monday or Tuesday. If you send one before they said they would come to a decision it shows a level of impatience along with interest and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Know what I mean?

25. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 8, 2014

Think positive... it could be they were out today still on a long weekend or in but catching up from last week. I would send the status email, but agree with Bunnie, wait a day or two after they said they would let you know. I would send it this Thursday after 5 or Friday morning.

Sending positive thoughts your way! :)

26. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

Bunnie: Thanks. I do understand what you mean. If I decide to send one, I will wait until a later date. I'm just hoping that I get news (good or bad), so at least I will know for sure and wont have to think about sending the email

hep223: Thanks for the good thoughts. I agree, I will probably wait if I decide to send one. I'm really hoping for news today or tomorrow.

27. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

Update:

I GOT THE JOB!!! I really cannot believe it but I am soooo excited. The principal just called to offer me the position and my info is being sent in. I have to wait for an email with my next step. The job ended up not being the 4th/5th grade position, but rather a 4th Grade General Education position. Either way, I was happy to accept!

28. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

Jul 8, 2014

Congrats, sunshine!!! You're going to have the best day today just enjoying the fact that the job search is finally over:D

29. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

vateacher300: Thanks! Yes, today is shaping up to be a great day for me! Just hoping that everything goes smoothly now!

30. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 8, 2014

Oooh that is awesome sunshine24 ..... I am so happy for you - Congrats!!!!!!!

:celebrate:

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2014

Congratulations!

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

Congratulations!!!

33. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 8, 2014

Congratulations! So happy for you!

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2014

Congratulations!

35. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

Thanks everyone! I still cannot truly believe it. It feels surreal. I already received my nomination email and completed my electronic forms. I will be going to the HR building tomorrow to verify some info and then I wait for my next step (which I have no clue what it is lol).

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2014

Hope you are planning to celebrate tonight!

37. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

I'm so happy for you!!! And jealous that your paperwork is being processed faster than mine!! Lol

38. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

MrsC: hahaha a little tonight, but most definitely this weekend!! It's been a long time coming!

Bunnie: thanks! lol I know. I wasn't expecting it to get started so quick, but after getting some info verified tomorrow, I am not sure of the next step (i.e. contract signing, salary paperwork). Did you get the email of nomination yet (I don't remember)?

39. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

Nope. Nobody has reached out to me today in regards to my nomination. No email, nothing, but the HR person for my network isn't in today.

I did get an email from the person from the investigations dept. In regards to a few questions I sent last week. They were on vacation so I was happy to see they responded although at this point my question was answered.

So tomorrow after work I plan on making some phone calls to find out what's going on.

I believe once you go down to the HR walk in center you finish your paperwork and get your ID. So put on some makeup and have your hair done nicely! :) Then after that your background check gets started. But it's pretty much official once you get the ID. I would ask them while you are there. And let me know how the process goes after you are done. :D

40. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 8, 2014

hahaha no problem. Well the email give you steps regarding fingerprints (if you haven't had it done by the DOE yet), your certifications, and then links you to some applicant portal. From there, you electronically submit a few forms and then are told to go to the walk-in center to finish background check paperwork. I don't know what's next but will follow up with you when I do lol. I'm kinda hoping that all other paperwork is done at the school or online...I would hate to have to wait at the HR building more than once.

I have a DOE ID card already for subbing, so I don't know if I will have to get another? But, I will try to look presentable just in case lol

41. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 8, 2014

Yeah you will get another ID. They may use the same pic or maybe not...guess you'll find out. I don't think there's much paperwork after that other than filling out direct deposit and choosing your health insurance which I believe is done at the school or online.

Usually they have a new teacher orientation the last week of August where all newly appointed teacher go to the Jacob javitz center and listen to presentations and get a bunch of free goodies.