interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by soldier86, May 8, 2012.

1. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 8, 2012

Hi everyone,
    I recently met the state requirments in Arkansas to begin teaching as a seondary social studies teacher. So far I have had only one interview. Tomorrow I have an interview at another Public Charter School. The first interview I had went well. I was extremely nervous at first and stumbled over some really simple questions.Like when I was asked to introduce myself. But as I got more comfortable I think I did well with the more elaborate questions. Surprisingly many of the questions dealt with disipline. Appreantly that charter school focuses on strong disipline and classroom managament. I am not anticipating tomorrows interview questions to focus as much on disipline. I am sure I will be asked about the common core as Arkansas is transitioning to that. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should focus on when talking about the common core and what a good study guide would be? Also I know my weakness is my inexperience in the classroom. Does anyone know how I should approach this? At my last interview I was straightforward and said that I know I lack traditional classroom experience but I make up for it with my dedication and commitment to making an impact on students. Do you think this was a good approach or should I sort of sugar coat my experience and explain all the times I gave classes in the military as a Sergeant? Thanks for the help! Also my neighbor who was a teacher and works with the department of education has connections at the school I am interviewing at tomorrow. She emailed the principal and said some really nice things to me. Do you think this will help, or do you think it was a little to pushy? Don't get my wrong I am very greatful she put her name out there for me.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

www.corestandards.org for the common core. Also check out your department of education website. See the literacy standards for social studies, etc.

As for experience, I would share both of your examples above.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

Good luck!

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

Good luck tomorrow!

I think the other teacher emailing the principal will help.

I'm also not sure if saying inexperience is your weakness is the best idea, but other people may disagree with me there.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

Good luck!! :)

7. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 8, 2012

Thank you all for the advice. Last question. I was recently accepted into a Master of Education Program. Should I mention that I start in the fall? Will they think I am taking on to much responsibility as a new teacher and that I should be focused on teaching and not my graduate degree?

8. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

May 9, 2012

Speaking as a current 1st year teacher, I think I would have completely keeled over in exhaustion if I'd started master's classes this year...haha! If you do really want to get started on that right away, would your program allow you to just take classes in the summers?

9. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 9, 2012

Honestly if I get hired on with a school district I will put my Master's on hold for atleast a year. I know my first year is going to be extremely difficult. But this is part of the reason why I want to teach. I want the challenge of pushing myself for the reason of benifiting others.

10. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 9, 2012

Good luck! Social studies is a TOUGH area to land a job in, so if you get it then consider yourself very lucky indeed.

I think emphasizing your military experience is a major plus. I worked with a teacher who was in the military at one time and he used a lot of his prior experience on the job.

11. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 9, 2012

Thanks this interview I just had did not go very well. You can read my experience on my recent post called apathetic interview. I am really hoping to hear back from the first school I interviewed with last Friday. It is an inner-city charter school and the administration and teachers seem so dedicated to making positive changes in the community. This is the enviroment I want to teach in.