Interview... tomorrow?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thegirlinaz, Nov 22, 2010.

1. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

I don't post much, but I would love some advice :)

I am currently student teaching (I will graduate in 3 weeks). Basically, I got a call today from a principal and have an interview tomorrow for a 2nd grade teaching position, which I am extremely excited for!

What advice do you have for me? I am not prepared at all! I am going to go through the interview questions that are posted on the sticky post here, and I will bring my resume/coverletter/recommendation letters with me, but what else?

Thanks.

Ps. I do not have any sort of portfolio. Is this needed? I do have my student teaching binder with my hours, a calender, info from meetings I've attended, lesson plans, etc.... but, I can't imagine bringing that, would I? Should I print a few of the lessons I've done and bring them?

3. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 22, 2010

Do you have any sort of portfolio prepared?

4. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

MissAnt, I actually just added that info in my original post. I do not have a portfolio. What would I need to include in it if I put one together? Is this something I would give them, or just show them? This is my first teaching interview ever and I just want to be prepared.

5. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 22, 2010

I was still in my student teaching when I had my first interview and had something similar to what you have. This will become the basis for your portfolio. I would bring what you have, you'll appreciate having the lesson plans (and student work if you have it) to show as examples of what you've accomplished.

Your portfolio will ultimately include lesson plans and associated documents (ex. I have games that I used for a unit as well as student work). If you search the threads you'll find the various things people include in their portfolios. For now though, since you're pressed for time, I would make sure what you do have is organized and any extra stuff is taken out.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2010

I would put together a real simple portfolio with some lessons that you've done, student work if you have it, resume, etc. Good luck!!!!!

7. thegirlinaz

thegirlinaz Rookie

Nov 22, 2010

Thanks! I am doing that right now :)

8. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Nov 22, 2010

Best of luck to you!
    PM me if you have any questions, I had 10 interviews this summer and know how nerve wracking they can be.

9. roll

roll Rookie

Nov 23, 2010

We need to create a portfolio in order to graduate from our program. It includes the major projects we completed throughout the program, as well as documentation of our field experiences and of course student teaching.

10. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Dec 7, 2010

Good luck! :D

I am not sure if your state requires a portfolio for graduation (mine does) and I have found I can pull a lesson plan that helped demonstrate a key idea I have. By creating the portfolio I have everything together to use. When I have asked numerous teachers and principals whether or not they use their whole portfolio in an interview the overwhelming answer was no. They just want a few documents that highlight main ideas.

Hope that helps!

11. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

Wow - good luck! That's so exciting!

12. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

Hey, how did it go? :)

13. glitzeyes

glitzeyes Rookie

Dec 15, 2010