Interview TOMORROW, low function ASD room

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Sep 22, 2015.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2015

I need a lesson on teeth brushing, handwashing something along those lines or a other basic life skill.

HELP!!!!!

It means I can leave detroit and go home!!!!

Where do I look for a step by step lesson plan (even if I rewrite it, i need to know how its done for such a low level group)

Thanks

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 22, 2015

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2015

No words of advice on the lesson, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

5. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Sep 22, 2015

How low is low? Do you know what age level? I was thinking something along the lines of a grocery shopping trip with VERY simple math. It doesn't even have to involve the math part- maybe just having the kids get items on a list with play food/items?

If it were me I wouldn't find a lesson plan online- although you could by googling it I'm sure- id write it myself. Good luck!

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2015

msmac21--

I know one of the students in the room, handwashing will be difficult for them. Some are non verbal and most have little to no self care skills.

I don't want to find a plan online to use, just one to get the jist of the flow and pacing, since this is new for me.

Thanks for the well wishes....my current school is terrible.

7. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Sep 22, 2015

Right, I understand, sorry didn't realize this was new for you. That is really tough especially since they're non verbal. I would make pictures for everything you're going to say/do to hold up as you teach.

What about something with getting food in the cafeteria? You could set up a makeshift "cafeteria line" with food choices. Make a schedule for them: 1. grab tray 2. pick food 3. pay cafeteria lady

Go over the schedule with them on what to do and then model going through the "line"- grabbing a tray (maybe you could make paper trays?), grabbing food (play food? pictures of food?), and handing money to the "cafeteria lady" (I would just give them each $2 in paper money or something).

Then walk them through it, prompting as needed. As an assessment you could have them walk through a second time on their own.

This might be too much since it's the night before your interview- but hope it helps!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2015

Well I went with a handwashing lesson, with suggestions from a parent of a child that used to be in that class. I taught the interview team.

It went really well, they loved the lesson and that I got parent input.

I find out early next week.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 24, 2015

Sounds good. Hope it works out for you. I know you've had a lot of issues with the last few places you've gotten a position in.

Is this job through the company you currently work for or from the school itself?

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2015

No its not, but the company I am with has been helping me look for a new job so they have given an recommendation.

How is it I keep finding the worst people to work with???? I have such rotten luck...and its always just one or two people.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 25, 2015

Yeah that stinks. You are long overdue for a decent position with awesome staff and students.

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2015

So I didn't get that job, but it lead to an interview in an self contained EI room, which is tuesday.

So wish me luck again??

Another demo lesson.....ach....just realized.....

Social Skills lesson anyone for k-5 kids?

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Sep 27, 2015