Interview tomorrow. I'M FREAKING OUT!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 14, 2014

I have my first teaching interview in over a year for tomorrow and I am freaking out. Interviews are not my strong suit at all and I feel like I am unprepared. It would have been for Thursday morning, but I couldn't do that one, so they had to change things around a little bit and make it tomorrow afternoon.

The funny thing is is that with this district, this school was not one of the ones I emailed about an opening. I was telling my friend who works for the district (not that school), they must have just pulled my info and she goes, "No. Someone had to have recommended you or something because I can tell you, they don't just pull. 90% of the time, people get interviews in this district because someone knows someone." And then she told me that at her school, there were 97 applicants, but only 7 were interviewed because someone at the school had put in a word for them.

SO...I have no idea now how to act. I have no clue who would have put a word in for me (if that is how I got an interview that is). The only thing that could be a possibility is that my coordinator at the school I am teaching summer school currently, she works at that school that I have an interview with..so maybe when she observed me for a couple of minutes last week, she recommended me? I doubt it..but it would be cool if that were the case.

Sorry about the long post..I am just super nervous now and I know I am going to be a wreck tomorrow going in to teach summer school for a couple hours and then having the interview shortly after. I need some words of encouragement..advice..I'll take anything!!!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2014

first of all.....CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR FIRST INTERVIEW EVER!!!! WOW...Wouldn't it be perfect if you got the job and no longer had to interview? Sounds good? Great! Now, calm down. You are as prepared as you can possibly be since it is tomorrow and you need to work in the morning first. I am excited for you! And I have a feeling this might be meant to be!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2014

Stop worrying about someone possibly recommending you and start focusing on the interview. It doesn't matter who put in a good work- your rocking the interview is the only thing that matters!

Good luck!

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for the positive vibes! I am my own worst critic..I have been going through questions I have had and researching other questions just in case.

I've asked this before on here, but never really got a straight answer..I know (and I try to do this) you are supposed to research the school that you are interviewing for, but what about if there is not a lot of information? I've looked at the school website and the report card from the state DOE, but it does not state specifically, for example, what the school's goals are.

6. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

just go in there and act like you own the place, ok, maybe not quite like that, but dont be afraid,

7. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 14, 2014

:lol: Its like..I know the answers to questions, but once I get in there I get all flustered. Granted, I have improved greatly since my very first teaching interview, but there is always room for improvement. I always get tripped up in the, "Why should we hire you?/Why do you want to work here?" I just feel like every one is going to give a similar answer, so I get a little worked up about trying to come up with something completely different from what someone else may say.

Another thing I get a little tripped up on is when they ask me if I have any questions. I know it is good to have questions, but I feel like depending on what it is, I would seem like a little cocky? I dunno.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 14, 2014

I ask about extra duties, time for collaboration among teachers, what struggles teachers in the school face, and what they like best about working in the school.

9. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 14, 2014

I HATE that question so much because I feel the same way. I'm also terrible at "selling" myself. However, I think if you answer genuinely from the heart it will go so much farther than someone who has rehearsed, so to speak, that type of answer. Pick two qualities that are really important to you/you feel you are amazing at and talk about that.

Take a deep breath, you are going to own this interview! Breathe before you answer each question so you can gather your thoughts. Most importantly, before you go to bed and when you wake up..visualize yourself in that interview (I mean, visualize down to your hair) answering everything to the best of your ability. I did that before my last interview and ended up getting the job.

GOOD LUCK!! You got this! :thumb:

10. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 14, 2014

I am no good at interviews either. I completely fall to pieces and I fumble my responses. The only advice I can give is to do your best to prepare (have some scenarios in mind for certain questions; know some background on the school) and to try to think positively. There is no way to predict every question that will be asked, but try to come up with some general responses that you can use in a multitude of answers. Also, I try to really have my answers down for the questions I know I will almost certainly be asked (What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Tell me about a time you worked with other teachers. Tell me about your best lesson. Tell me about a lesson that did not go as well as planned and what did you do?) Since I basically memorize my answers to those, I don't seem to get as flustered when these questions come up.

For the last interview I went on, I really tried to focus on calming myself down when I realized that I was talking too fast/too much. I just took a deep breath and made it seem like I was thinking about the question asked (meanwhile, I was telling myself to get it together lol). I ended up getting that job!

I know how stressful this process can be :( Up until last week, I truly believed that I would never do well enough to get hired. But, just try to breathe and do your best! GOOD LUCK!!!

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

I completely froze during my first teaching interview. What is your teaching philosophy. I froze.

But I went in there completely nervous, 8 hour drive. And just froze on that question.

I've set in on some interviews and the big thing is confidence. If you don't know something it might hurt your scoring, but if you are figity or come off as someone who can't hack it you get the death score. That is when the evaluators ask themselves if they would want their kid in their. So don't be too cocky or no it all, but don't be a figity mess. Best of luck

12. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2014

Answer with your heart, and not what you think they want to hear. Then you will feel more confident! Rock it!!

13. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 15, 2014

Had my interview..It was actually an interview for two schools. Both the Ps there were at each other schools this past school year and were switched for the upcoming one..so I guess they decided to collaborate and do all their interviews together.

It wasn't a terrible interview, but of course I walked out thinking, "I should have said this..OH MAN..I should have said that.." I feel I fumbled a bit on a couple questions, but overall I answered each question to the point that on each of their sheets (6 person panel) they had written so much in the space, they had to write up and down the side of the paper and one even had to get a piece a scratch paper for more notes..the interview lasted about 30 minutes, but it felt longer. I don't know if that is good or bad..I feel like I went longer than they wanted or they weren't interested because I managed to get to ask a question at the end..but it was like I was limited to just that one because right after, they were like, "It was great meeting you. Thank you for coming.." So I don't know if it was just a time crunch because they were actually late 15 minutes for my interview..or if they didn't like me and wanted to get rid of me.

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

I'm sure you did great!

It sounds like you had a lot to say and answered thoroughly. I always feel like they rush things along after one question also, so you never know. It may have been a time thing or maybe a lot of people only ask 1 question so they tend to wrap up after that? I always left my interviews beating myself up for things I did wrong or for things I should have said. I even did it after my last interview and ended up getting hired, so you never how how the interviewer(s) will interpret it.

Did they say when you might hear back?

15. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 15, 2014

Don't beat yourself up! You did your best. Hopefully they take notice and select you to move to the next round, or hire you! Send your thank you emails out tonight.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2014

You made it through the interview and now, you will over analyze the responses you can recall and worry you've missed a called or an email. This is a normal process and one all of us go through when looking for work. It will all work out. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

17. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

Good luck! And try not to obsess too much over the interview. Focus on preparing for the next one. Go over your resume again and tighten where you can, redo your cover letter. Anything to put the focus on the next interview.
    Sheilah

18. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you all. Yeah..Windy I am definitely going through those stages now lol. There are many different things that I would/could/should have answered differently..but even though I was nervous, I tried my hardest to answer with enthusiasm and my humor. We shall see. The coordinator I work with now is a teacher at one of the schools and she said that she would put in a good word for me based on what she has seen me do thus far.

Sunshine - Since there are multiple positions for both schools, they said they will be interview the rest of this week (which is really only tomorrow and Thursday since they are closed Fridays in the summer), and possibly some next week. She said they are hoping to have a decision by the end of next week.

19. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jul 15, 2014

It sounds like it went really well TeacherGii!!! I missed the chance to tell you good luck but I am so excited for you!

I personally would rather them have to get more paper than not write down anything at all. If you overdid it they wouldn't write it all down. The fact that they did that shows that they were truly interested in my opinion.

Good luck! Don't stress too much! Let us know when you hear back! Did you send thank you cards?

20. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 15, 2014

It sounds like it went well! What I have been doing is writing down the questions I feel like I struggled to answer when I get to my car and then I go over those questions before my next interview.

Sending positive thoughts your way! :)

21. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 16, 2014

I'm going to send out thank you cards today! I am hoping I won't have to worry about a next interview lol, but yes plan on going over a couple of questions that I feel I could have answered better.

I guess the stressful thing for me is, this is the FIRST interview I have had all year for a teaching position and it's almost August..so I had all but given up hope that I would get anything because I had contacted over 100 schools in my area, and absolutely no bites. The P from this school, I emailed back in the beginning of June..so I don't know if that got me the interview or not.

22. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 16, 2014

Awesome!!!!

Good luck....fingers crossed for you Teacher Gii

23. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 17, 2014

I need to stop thinking about it..the more I think about it, the more I am thinking that maybe I didn't do as well as I thought..especially when I had to explain why I resigned from my previous position..it wasn't anything bad, but still..if they called the bully..I mean P from that school, they are going to get a completely different story.

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

Teacher Gii stop stressing, plus by law I think all that can be asked of the P is if you worked there and would they rehire you.....now if you are NOT on the non rehire list for the DISTRICT then the P can not say no.

(unless perhaps you did something illegal for the reason for termination)

25. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 17, 2014

I checked with HR a while back and they said I am eligible for rehire in the future..which is good.

26. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 17, 2014

That is good so don't panic....lol.

27. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Teacher Gii any updates?

28. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 23, 2014

Hello!! I haven't heard anything from this interview, BUT I had an interview today that went pretty well (or at least I think so.)

It was a last minute interview. I emailed the principal yesterday evening and he wrote back right away telling me that he was going to pass my info on to the AP because they would be the one doing the interviewing. So, I get a call this morning, but they had to leave a voice message because I was teaching summer school. So right after school today I check my message, and they wanted me to come in this afternoon. I called back right away and the slot was still open.

There are a few positions at the school available, so I am hoping I am one of the lucky ones to be selected

29. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

Well that sounds promising! Hoping that you hear back soon!! Keep us posted

30. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 30, 2014

Its been a while..so I thought I would update..

I GOT AN OFFER TODAY FOR 4TH GRADE!!!! I interviewed last Wednesday, and it was a last minute one so I had no time to really research the school and prepare at all.

Here's the thing. I actually had an interview yesterday for a school I have worked at as an assistant. Long story short, the P that is there now knows me personally because he was my old HS science teacher. He knew I wanted to work there last year, but I didn't get hired. Well, when I did a LTS back in April at the school, he asked me what I would like to teach and I did tell him k-2. Fast forward to now, a position came up unexpectedly so he called me in to interview..He said he had a few more interviews today and would hopefully make his decision by the end of the week.

I know officially HR really has to make the offer call, but at the same time I feel like if he really wanted me, he would at least tell me. I don't know. I had to call a few people for opinions before I called the lady back because I wanted their input. They pretty much all said I should accept the offer.

If there ever an instance when two schools in the same district want to hire you? I just wonder if the 2nd grade offer came, would HR tell them I accepted elsewhere, or would they call me and ask me to choose which one? No papers have been signed as of yet..

Sorry I word vomitted!! I am excited, but at the same time is hasn't fully sank in yet!!

31. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

When do you have to accept the 4th grade offer? Hope you can stretch it until you hear from this last school.

Either way...congratulations!

32. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 30, 2014

THANK YOU!!!

The HR lady wanted an answer by 12 tomorrow..BUT at that time I would be teaching summer school (last day) so I don't think I could make the call during school hours lol. I called her and left a message because she never seems to be at her desk or is just always swamped and never answers her phone when anyone calls.

33. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 30, 2014

Yes that is what I would do at least give an answer say on Monday since they are closed Friday.

Congrats!!!!!

34. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Congratulations!!! I just got my first teaching job on Tues so I know how excited you are to get a job!!!!!!!

35. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Jul 30, 2014

Congratulations!!!!

36. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 31, 2014

I'm freaking because I feel like there is so much to do now and I know absolutely nothing!!! Like I never even went to school for 5 years lol

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 31, 2014

Congratulations, Teacher Gii. What you're feeling sounds pretty normal, actually. Don't forget to breathe, okay?

38. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 31, 2014

Thanks guys! Its official. I signed my contract and got my badge today!

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 31, 2014

Wonderful! Have you heard anything about being mentored? Hoping you have someone to turn to in a pinch, but you will always have us.

40. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 31, 2014

New teacher orientation week begins on the 11th..I am going to meet my building mentor the first day I think..This particular district also provides retired teacher mentors as well, but I didn't see any info about who that would be. I am hoping to find out some time during orientation. I am definitely looking forward to having a mentor. I also know that I will be coming on the boards a lot too!!:)

41. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 31, 2014

Virginia
    Substitute Teacher

Time for some updating, I think. Congratulations!