Interview Tomorrow, Help! LOL

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by vateacher757, Jul 7, 2015.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 7, 2015

:up: Finally, finally, finally I have an interview in the field I have been trying to get into for the longest (CTE) and at the school I am currently working at as a SPED Aide. :) Those positions are so hard to come by but finally after a few years I have an interview.

Now to my issue.......my entire time in education, 5 years, has been in Special Education (as a teacher and as an aide) but my background prior to education was all business......I am nervous about the types of questions that may be asked and how to answer since I have no time in the classroom as a Business teacher. :help:

Any pointers, suggestions, anything I should take with me to the interview.

TIA.......I am so happy! :D :D :D

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2015

I think you'll be fine since you have experience as a teacher and in the real world of business :) No need to be nervous!

4. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2015

Update:

I didn't get it and I so frustrated and bummed.

Once again I was passed over for a person(younger) who has the classroom experience teaching the subject matter.

Since I am new to education than most I don't understand how experience in the subject matter takes a back seat to having taught the material in the classroom. Anyone can teach from the book but experience (real world), imo, is always a better teacher. I also wonder if age has anything to do with it as well. *shrug*

I have no clue what I need to do to land a teaching position in CTE without the teaching experience in CTE, call me perplexed.

So unless I find something before the start of school I will be back at the school as an Aide. :(

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 22, 2015

I suspect it is about teaching what you know to their standards and pacing, appropriate assessment, and creative ways to turn the work world into the education world. Have you sat down and created an entire unit, lesson plans, assessments, formative and subjective, rubrics, pacing guide, goals and objectives - the whole thing? You may find that it is harder than you think. There is a kind of rhythm that develops the longer you are in the classroom, and if you could show that you appreciate the subtle nuances to that, you may get the nod.

All of that said, hugs and hoping that another position presents itself for you. Each interview is a learning experience in and of itself, so keep that in mind. I wish you the best of luck on that next interview. :hugs:

6. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

Have you been a classroom teacher before becoming an aide
    ?

7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 22, 2015

oh noooo, sorry to hear :(

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 22, 2015

Yes but not a CTE classroom teacher and it was still special education but more of a work skills classroom for high school students.

9. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

I do not believe age has anything to do with it. but from the older paras I have worked with, they sometimes can be very set in their ways and do not want to change things because they have been doing it that way for years. IMHO I would prefer to work with someone open minded. I am not saying you came across that way in your interview, but be mindful that while the hiring committee value experience, they are more interested in how well you will work in a team.

10. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 23, 2015

^^^
    I have no problem with working as a team I am very personable, flexible and go out of my way for staff and students. I am not set in my ways I welcome new ideas and other opinions and views and ways of doing things I am not a "we have always been doing it this way" kind of person. I do not look nor "act" my age.

Now I work with a few older para's and omg, you are right...one even interviewed for a sped position and when I asked her how it went she went on and on about one of the people interviewing her was a "young boy" yada yada yada....the 2 older para's I work with always say things to me about not knowing or understanding because I am younger, lol.....I may not be as old as they but I am not as young as they think.

But I am finding most new hire teachers that I see are young, under 30 and female.

Oh well such is life and I will survive this and move on.

ETA: this hiring team knew me, I work there and 2 of my references are employed there, one a sped teacher and one an AP.

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 12, 2015

UPDATE: :thumb:

Well got a call this morning offering me the position. YEAH :D

So excited and nervous all at the same time.

New teacher training/orientation is Aug 24 and 25.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2015

Congrats!!