interview tomorrow... finally!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by FootballGal, Jul 16, 2008.

1. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Hey everyone. I have been waiting for 3 weeks now for an interview with an actual school district. After the whole preschool thing, I was bummed. Well, the personnel director emailed me and asked if I had a job yet. (I had been emailing her and pestering her about any job openings.. lol) I told her no and she said there was a 3rd grade position at a not so good school... ok a horrible school... that was open and needed to be filled. If I was interested, I could interview tomorrow with the principal's guidance counselor and head teacher. Of course, I said I was interested so I have an interview tomorrow.

The only problem is that it's in the 3rd grade. I have already decided after many hours of field experience in 3rd grade that I don't like it. But it's still a job. The school is not on the top of the list but once again, it's still a job.

What would you do if you were in this situation? I had applied to a k position in a nearby district but they stop taking apps on friday and then will call next week for interviews. I am just soooo tired of waiting and want my own room! It just sucks that it has to be in the 3rd grade at a not so good school!

3. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

I'd go on the interview. You would be surprised at how wonderful 3rd graders can be!!

Any really... what is a "not so good school"? Perhaps you could be the "change agent" to make it a good school. Never sell yourself short, you could be the answer to that school and to those students.

4. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

Congratulations on the interview! Any interview is great learning experience! As far as the school, have an open mind. My practicum site was at a school on an improvement plan, and was considered the "not so good school" of the county wide school system, however it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my career. The teachers were great, open to anything that motivated the kids and helped them improve, and the students love having us there. Like the PP said, reputation might be one thing, but inside it's another. Good luck!

I took a job in third grade last year, because it was a job...but I have fallen in love with the age group! In fact, I've read that over and over on posts here...third grade is such a fun age!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2008

Good luck with the interview! I student taught in third grade and loved it; you may really grow to like it. Also, maybe the school isn't that bad.

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

Good Luck!!!

7. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 16, 2008

Good Luck Footballgal!

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

3rd grade wouldn't be my first choice either, but as my sister is just now going into the 3rd grade (big age gap) I'm getting more fond of them. :lol:

Oh, and an interesting fact: aforementioned 3rd grader said she would love to get a letter or postcard from her teacher because "It shows that she's friendly". :) (She was jealous of the postcards I was buying my future students.)

Enjoy your interview & good luck! :)

9. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 16, 2008

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am now a little more excited about it. I have soooo many ideas I want to use in my classroom and to be honest, they would work best in the 3rd grade. I just finished making some examples of things I want to use for my classroom economy. I haven't brought any things with me for the past 6 interviews I had. This time I am bringing a portfolio, a sample F.R.O.G.S. book, and a sample of the things I want to use for the classroom economy. I hope I'm not overdoing it.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Good luck! Keep us posted.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

I don't think you can ever "overdo" the passion, excitment, commitment and love you have for your profession :2up: Remember to keep an open mind about the grade level and the school.

Good Luck tomorrow and keep us posted

12. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Well, the interview went awesome!! I think this is the first time it's actually gone so well. I brought all the things I mentioned. She LOVED the classroom economy idea and the FROGS book. She said I would be a wonderful teacher and is recommending me to the principal. I should tomorrow or Monday. I am so excited. Everyone was right to say that I shouldn't judge it before going there. The neighborhood was not that bad and everyone was so nice there. I hope I get it so I can stop looking for a job because it sucks!! lol. I am actually looking forward to being a 3rd grade teacher. Who would have ever thought? I'll let everyone know if I get it or not. Keep your fingers crossed!

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 17, 2008

I, too, didn't not want to work at a particular school, and I did everything I could to avoid interviewing there. I decided to send a resume and ended up getting a job there and I LOVE IT!! Right now--I hope I never leave. God knew what was best for me better than I did!!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

Congratulations on the good interview! I hope you get the position!

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 17, 2008

I'm glad you went to the interview! It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Good luck!

16. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

Yay! Sounds great!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2008

Good luck!!! Sounds very promising!!

18. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 17, 2008

Thanks everyone. Now, I'm just waiting which I hate!!

19. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 18, 2008

All of job searching feels like hurry up and wait.

So glad you liked the school. I was in your exact same shoes last year with both grade level and school. Third grade is awesome!! Older kids rock.

20. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 18, 2008

Good for you!! Congratulations... can't wait until you get the official call!

21. Tay

Tay Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Go on the interview. You never know what may come of it. I student taught 3rd grade and absolutley loved it. You can really start to get into some important and interesting topics with them. And they UNDERSTAND!!!! They also are starting to get a sense of humor. You can joke with them and not hurt their feelings.

I have the same mindset as you....right now...a job is a job is a job. You'll do great!!!

22. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 18, 2008

What kind of questions did they ask you in your interview?

I might have an interview for a 3rd grade position next week. I too am coming from a Pre-K position.
    I am so nervous and I agree, the waiting and worrying sucks.
    Good luck.

23. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Sending you good vibes!!! Can't wait to hear your news :)

24. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 19, 2008

This interview was the most laid back one I've been to. She mostly talked about the school. I added my thoughts in but she talked a lot. After showing her the economy sample, newsletter sample, and frogs book, she told me she was very impressed and those things had answered some of her questions. The only questions she directly asked me is if I were familiar with putting lesson plans online, positive behavior system, and what experience I had. The great thing is that at the school I student taught at, they did all the things she asked about so I was familiar with them which I think made her impressed as well. She also asked if I could give the principal at least 3 years since she likes to have teacher stay for at least that amount of time if possible. Another hopeful sign that I may get the job... hopefully! Sorry I couldn't give you more questions but she didn't really ask the normal routine ones that I hate to answer. So HOPEFULLY monday I will be getting a phone call. I swear, I carry my phone around with me as if I might miss hearing the thing ring. lol.

25. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

Sometimes it's the kids in the "not so good" areas that have the most desire to learn :) I'm sure you'll be great wherever you go! Best of luck!!!

26. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

Football Gal,
    Sounds like you hit one out of the park. The waiting is the hardest part. Best wishes!

27. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

Good Luck :D

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2008

Footballgal, it sounds like everything went so well for you! I love teaching third grade. They go through so much growth in the year and really start to transform academically. My fingers are crossed for you that we hear official good news soon!!!

29. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Well, she said she would let me know last Friday or today but I still haven't heard anything. Now I'm starting to think they hired someone else. I'm deciding whether I should call the school and see if they made a decision yet but I don't want to be annoying. lol. ughhhhh I hate waiting! I have another interview tomorrow for a kindergarten position in a different district but I am dreading going to it. The district that has the 3rd grade position pays like 8,000 dollars more and it just a better district all around. Oh, the stress of getting a job!

30. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 21, 2008

Did you send a thank-you note? If not shoot over an email thanking them for the interview and re-expressing your interest in the position.

If you did, give them till tomorrow and then call them.

31. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 21, 2008

Sounds promising. Did you send a thank you note or email?

32. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I did send a thank you note the day of the interview. They should get it today. As for an email, they don't have an email address that actually works otherwise they would have gotten that as well. I will give them until tomorrow even though I want to call sooo bad! lol. Thanks for the advice.

33. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 21, 2008

Best Wishes

Hope you hear yet today. Waiting is tough on the nerves.

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

take your phone with you everywhere...even in the bathroom! :D

I got a good feeling on this one!

35. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 21, 2008

lol I do take my phone everywhere with me. I just went to the bathroom and my phone came with me. lol yea well I'm starting to get nervous since I still didn't hear anything. I hope your good feeling turns out to be true!

36. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I would call first thing in the morning!

37. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 21, 2008

I will be calling first thing in the morning. I would rather know that I didn't get the job than sitting here and wondering all day long. I just need to know! HOPEFULLY, I did get the job but they were too busy to call, hopefully. I am trying to be positive but it's sooo hard for me. I always look at the bad side of things. Anyway, I will definitely call tomorrow morning!

38. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

Hello,

I am FG, and I interviewed for the postion... (pause)

I was wondering if I was still being considered as a candidate... (pause)

(some non-specific answer given)

Well, thank you for your time, please let Ms. Princpal know I am still very interested in the position, thank you. My number is 777-9311.

39. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 21, 2008

Thanks Master Pre-K! I was wondering what I should say to her but that sounds perfect!

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2008

you're quite welcomed!

I like to pause.. thinking positively...so they can say, oh..wait, hold on a second... :D

41. FootballGal

FootballGal Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I called at 9 and there was no answer, so I'll be calling again at 9:30 which is like right now. Of course, of all the days, they won't answer the phone just because I want to, need to know.