Interview today!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, May 11, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Ok, technically it's still Sunday here, but it's Monday for most people. I have an interview with that creative school is approx. 10 hours. My interview outfit is in the dryer. Dh promised to iron it for me since I put the dishes away (score! I suck at ironing).

I'm hoping all goes well, and I get called back for an 'official' interview. Although she predicted tomorrow would last 45 minutes, so I'm not sure what else I'd talk about if I were called back. It would be lovely if we finished up, and while I was shaking hands, she offered me the job. I'm going to think positively like that. So many great things would come of getting this job. I don't need it, but I would love it.

In related news, I found a small iron street lamp on Craigslist tonight. Which is strange, because I've been dying to do a Chronicles of Narnia theme, with a streetlamp and a wardrobe full of fake-fur coats... a sign, perhaps?? If I hear back from the guy, I'm going to play the classroom card and maybe he'll let me have it for a song...

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Good luck Jem. The interview is the first step to employment.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Good luck, Jem!

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

Jem, I am pulling for you, best wishes to you.

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

Good luck!

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 11, 2009

Good luck! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

Sending good vibes up your way!

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 11, 2009

Hoping all goes well at the interview!

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Thanks for the well wishes, guys! I think it went awesome.

I walked in, and the kindergarten teacher/founder literally grabbed me and dragged me to her room to show me her 'kindness castle'. She was dresses in a mid-evil dress, and the whole room was filled with herbs, tapestries, a fairy corner, etc. So awesome. The kids were awestruck by the visiting storyteller.

I went back to the office and the first thing the director said when she saw me was 'I love your hair! How did you DO that??'. So cool.

We spent about 45 minutes talking about philosophy and what the schools needs. They want to beef up their science program (check), bring in technology (check), get equipment (check), bring more project-based learning to the middle school (check), etc. I'm all of the things they need. At least I think so. ;)

She said she'd like to schedule me for a formal interview with a team of teachers/parents and a lesson. It looks like it might be on Thursday-she's going to call or e-mail about it. I'm going to be brainstorming a cool language arts/social studies lesson that can be done hands-on (apparently several of the kids I might have are very anti-paper/pencil). Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm off to go get the lamp post. If I don't get the job, someone else can do a Narnia theme and I'll give it to them. But perhaps if I get it, the fates will see they HAVE to give me the job. ;)

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 11, 2009

That's awesome Jem! The fact that they like your pink hair has got to be a positive sign! You're clearly of the same mind set :). I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous for Thursday. Any idea how many other people they're considering for the position?

Is the school close to where you guys are thinking of buying a house?

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 11, 2009

No idea on the other candidates. Sounds like pay might be a bit low, as she said the public schools pay more. It can't be worse than my last job, however.

The school is about 10 minutes from the place we're moving to right now. We're in this new place for at least 6 months, and then month-to-month afterwards while we try to find a place to buy. We haven't decided on where to buy, but all the places in this county are thisclose to each other. It won't be more than a 25 minute from any house we pick. I would LOVE to live in Fairfax, where the school is, but we haven't seen anything good come on the market yet. But it's all in God's hands. If I do get this job, the whole road to it was a bit of a miracle, so I'm sure anything after it will be a miracle as well.

Off to buy my lamp post! ;)

13. KDS

KDS Companion

May 11, 2009

i want a Narnia closet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    so glad to hear the interview went GREAT!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

OMG Jem!! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you! You so deserve to be in a school where you can let your creative juices flow.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 11, 2009

Thank you so much, guys!

One of my ideas for Sprout was to 'rent' themed rooms out. So I would collect all the items needed for a Hogwarts, or a Narnia, and then teachers could check them out for a month or so. Then teachers wouldn't have to store all the decorations, or hunt them down. I would need more space for that.

TeacherShelly had suggested doing that with holiday decorations, too. I'm toying with it. It would be fun to get really solid palm trees and movie reels and Narnia closets, etc. Make them and buy them from Stumps. Teachers could maybe even join a co-op and then sign up for the themes they want during different weeks.

My brain never stops. And the light is fabulous. I have it in my Sprout room at the moment-it looks like a real streetlamp.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 11, 2009

Sounds like a great interview, Jem! Good luck!

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

Jem, that sounds wonderful. It seems to be the perfect fit for you.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 11, 2009

Jem-it sounds like the interview went really well and the school is a perfect fit for you. Wishing you luck!

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

SECOND INTERVIEW TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!

1:30. Eight questions with a panel of teachers, and then I have to present a 10 minute math or language arts lesson. If they like what they see, I'll be asked back early next week to teach a 45 minute lesson to the sixth graders.

Yeah!!! Now I just need to think of a kick-butt hands-on creative lesson for math or language arts. I was going to do a Robert Frost poem with the kids next week, comparing poetry to a mystery. I'm going to start out by giving them clues to a mystery that they need to solve, and then they will hear R. Frost read his apples poem, and they will have to find the clues in the poem to figure out it's meaning.

Any suggestions for tomorrow? I really wish it were social studies, because I have an amazing Constitutional Convention lesson I could present on.

20. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 13, 2009

Oh Jem, I so hope you get this job! You kept me refreshed all summer long with the ideas you talked about during the summer. We could have a great time doing some brainstorming!

21. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 13, 2009

good luck, jem! that is great!

22. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Good luck!! You could do a grammar lesson where it's more interactive. I think it's called Verb Smash... something like that. It's in the Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson.

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 13, 2009

Good Luck tomorrow!

24. smalltowngal

May 13, 2009

Good luck tomorrow, Jem!

25. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 13, 2009

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 13, 2009

Jem, I hope all goes well with your lesson. Best wishes to you.

27. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 13, 2009

This sounds just pErFeCt!!! I'll think of you at 1:30 sharp tomorrow!

A 10 minute lesson?? Jeez, that sounds challenging. But you can do it!!

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 14, 2009

Good luck!

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Thanks, guys! I'm getting ready right now. I made copies this morning of letters of rec, my resume, my philosophy, certifications, etc., and I'm putting together packets. My lesson is ready to be typed up-it's a 4 part lesson. The kids start by learning about area/perimeter with graph paper. Then they get a challenge from me-they have x amount of space to build a raised garden in, and have to design garden beds that will fit. They have to have so much room to walk around them, etc, and they have to use the least amount of supplies possibles (all the details are laid out for them). So then they get more graph paper to play with, and when they think they know what they want to do, I'll give them popsickle sticks or really thin dowels to cut up and make a mini-model out of. Once they've done that, we'll go outside with string and stakes, and they will actually measure out and place their 'boxes' to see if did it. If the school wanted, they could then invite the parents to join us on a Saturday morning to build the boxes and create a school garden.

I don't actually have to TEACH the lesson, as this is a week-long project. I'm just talking about it. I'm pretty excited-I love the project aspect of it, and I'm really glad I'm doing math.

30. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

Sounds fantastic! The kids will love it!!

31. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Hope it went well!

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

Jem, sounds like a fun lesson and I can't wait to hear the details.

33. Sunny Teacher

Sunny Teacher Rookie

May 14, 2009

How did it go Jem??

34. smalltowngal

May 14, 2009

Jem-that sounds like a great lesson!!! Hopefully it went well!

35. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 14, 2009

The interview went smashingly.

I got there a few minutes late, as the dude driving down the two lane road to get there was going 20 miles an hour. Literally. And the road is very long and very windy. Grrr.

But get there I did. The 1/2 teacher was there, the 3/4 teacher was there, the 7/8 teacher was there and the director was there. They asked me 8 questions, and luckily gave me a list of them to look at while they asked them. This is important, because I often forget the question after it's been asked. I don't know if it's stupidity or my ADHD, but I have terrible time with my short-term memory. I think the questions went well. I knocked it out of the park with the 'what book study or unit would you like to do with the kids'. I told them Narnia, with an author study on C. S. Lewis, taking a look at how his views on spirituality and religion shaped the moral tones in his books. I said I would bring in history, as WWI had a huge effect on his writing, as well as his friendship with Token. Students could study the relationship between Narnia and Middle Earth, and draw parallels/find differences while studying the Lewis/Tolken friendship. I said you could even bring in science and research parallel universes and time travel, etc. The weird thing is, all that just kind of spilled out. I hadn't planned about any of that ahead of time, and I hadn't even thought about Lewis/Tolken since my mom and I heard a radio interview on their friendship back when I was in middle school. Sometimes the brain does funny things. I was so stunned by my answer that I had to come home and google it to make sure Tolken and Lewis really WERE friends. They are. I'm weird.

They liked my lesson a lot, and we finished with so much time that I got a chance to walk them through my portfolio and ask them a bit about their classrooms. When the director saw me to my car, she kept saying the lesson was fabulous and I did really well and she didn't know how I just came to find them but was really happy, etc. She said she already knows she wants me to come in next week to teach a lesson to the kids, and will be calling me with a date and time.

I'm very happy, but also EXHAUSTED. It's like all the stress of the last week has suddenly hit me like a mac truck. Moving, interviews, dh's job stress-bam. I've been laying on the couch reading random blogs for the last hour, and now I have to unpack a few boxes so I can go over to our old condo and get the dishes. Fun, fun!

36. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Well, your life is not boring!

37. smalltowngal

May 14, 2009

Jem-that's amazing!!!!!! And I think you are destined to work in this school when something as trivial as a friendship between two authors that you haven't heard in years finds itself in an interview answer many years later. I wish you the best of luck in the next round. I wonder how many other candidates they have for the next round. Good luck!

38. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 14, 2009

That sounds great, Jem! I'm so excited for you!

39. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Yea, Jem!

40. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2009

Really, who DOES have a boring life? Isn't a busy time of year for us all? I feel like this year just flew- family, work, professional learning, outside interests...I think if we had a real 'peek' into each other's lives we'd be amazed at how much we ALL juggle, do, enjoy, accomplish. ;)

Life is too short to be bored...spice it up!! :rolleyes:

41. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 14, 2009

Jem, wow! I'm so impressed, as usual, with the way you synthesize tons of information bouncing around your head into a concrete, cohesive idea. Those people at the school are lucky they found you.