Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Just wanted to point out that there are over 200 posts - people are thinking about you girl! We are all ALL pulling for you, Beth. Hugs to you and best wishes.:)

2. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 21, 2006

I interviewed in May for a position that I really wanted. I didn't get it, so I called the principal back and asked him what I could have done better at the interview. He told me that the person he hired brought a portfolio and a leave behind with info about herself. I graduated in 1983, so I don't have a portfolio, but when I went to my last interview, I took a folder that had my resume, credential info, copies of my Praxis ll test scores, etc. in the brads in the middle. In the pockets, I put my behavior management plan. My classroom procedures, my class rules, a page with "what to do when you are done", a sample newsletter I would send home weekly, and some 1st day activity sheets. He was very impressed with all the info I left him.

Asking how to improve is always a good thing. They might not tell you anything, but I really think it helped me to get some constructive criticism from a principal.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 21, 2006

Anyone interested we still have a 2nd grade position available (one of our teachers didn't show up for pre-planning and informed the assistant principal today that she was going to take another position in a school 2 counties over. If interested we start school next Friday.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Where are you in GA?

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2006

I have asked two principals now for feedback. One never responded to my email and the other sent me a letter. The letter just said that all of the candidates were well qualified, but the person hired had the certification(s) that were more flexible.

6. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2006

I had another interview on Thursday with the Principal and a teacher in the same grade. Before I went in a guy was coming out and I noticed he didn't have a portfolio. When I started my interview I pulled my portfolio out right away to have it handy. During the interview the teacher asked to see the portfolio and I was able to show some of my work - including a classroom management "puzzle". THe Principal seemed to like that.

At the end, the Principal showed me the pay scale. I didn't ask to see it, but just commented that the teacher and I were discussing tuition reimbursement. Since she had the pay scale out, I asked about the BA+12. I know you aren't supposed to ask about salaries on the first interview...so I felt a little odd about that part. But the Principal told me to write the numbers down. Has anyone experienced this?

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 22, 2006

At my last interview the superintendent went over the payscale and all of the benefits with me. She also discussed tuition reimbursement since I will be starting graduate courses this year.

8. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2006

Right, the superintendent usually handles that part. Do you know how many other candidates met with the Super for that position?

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 22, 2006

I actually called the principal asking for feedback. I didn't think he'd answer an email.

10. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2006

That's a good idea. I usually get the secretary when I call.

11. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 22, 2006

When the secretary answered, I told her I had interviewed for a position there and just needed to ask the principal a quick question about it. She put me right through. Of course, this might have been a fluke, but it's worth a try.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 22, 2006

No, I have no idea how many others there were.

13. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2006

Keep on going with those interviews...you must be getting close to landing one soon!

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2006

Beth,
    You are going to get the next one! You have to! Lots of good luck. You should be well prepared it isn't until until Thursday the 3rd right?

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 22, 2006

Yep, it's Thursday the 3rd at 2pm. Unfortunately I have to work from 7-1 that day (I was supposed to work until 3:30, but told them I couldn't) but I guess working that morning will keep my mind off of the interview. I'm going to make up more mini portfolios to bring with me and I may add some lesson plans and sample newsletters to them rather than just my resume, license, philosophy, etc.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 22, 2006

I included a list of my procedures and info about my behavior management plan, a sample copy of my newsletter, a sample schedule, my class rules, a page on what a balanced literacy program includes, a glyph I plan to use the 1st day of school and another get to know me activity in my last "leave behind" folder. The principal seemed really impressed with what I had with me. Plus I had notebooks in my briefcase with copies of the 3rd grade standards and lesson plan examples.

I was more prepared for this interview than any I've been on and it seemed so easy compared to the rest.

Good luck, I know you will do well!

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 22, 2006

JaimeMarie,

Sorry for the delay, my mother is in the hospital. I am in Newton Co. about 35 miles east of Atlanta.

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

I am sorry to hear your mother is in the hospital. I hope she is able to return home soon.
    Where is it in relation to Marrietta (where my brothers both live)?

19. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

Marietta is NW of Atlanta, probably at least 50 miles from Newton County. Drive time is at least an hour. I'm in Canton, which is about 30 minutes north of Marietta.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

Ok so I want to be closer to you than Melissa if I decide to move down there.:) Hopefully I will have a job in Maine and not have to leave. My brother who has lived there for six years has been pestering me to come down. My other brother is only staying for a short while than going back to PA.
    Well I should go finish getting ready for work.