Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 18, 2006

Waiting with you in Ohio, Beth!!

2. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 18, 2006

Got my fingers crossed for you too Beth!!! Good luck.
    with all these good vibes going out to you, you can't go wrong!
    :love:

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 18, 2006

Beth, I too am keeping high hopes for you. I know how exhausting the waiting process is. I also think that when adminstrators say they will "call by such-and-such-a-day" there just isn't as much urgency with them as there is with you the prospective new teacher that so badly wants that much deserved job! Keep that in mind in case you don't hear anything by mid-week. If you don't hear anything by Wednesday, treat yourself to a pedicure or go out and take a stroll, or buy some new shoes! (I always love doing that) ;) But don't necessarily take it as a "bad sign". They are indeed busy and from the sounds of it you were a very impressive candidate! Hang in there, I am confident you will get the right job eventually, and it could very well be this one. :)

4. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

I'm there with ya Beth, it's a nail biting wait.

To you all still looking...there is hope! I just got a call for an interview from a school I sent my resume to a few weeks ago. There wasn't an el ed teacher position open, but I guess there is now since I was called. Let's hope the 4th times the charm. I'm a nervous wreck again because the last 3 didn't work out for one reason or another.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

NJ I hope the fourth works out for you. I after Thursday I will have been on 6 interviews this year, and I went on five last summer.
    So hopefully I will get one of these!

6. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 18, 2006

Sending out positive vibes for both of us!

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Good Luck njeledtecher!

8. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 20, 2006

BETH - any news? Just wanting to check in. Still sending positives your way...

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 20, 2006

Still nothing...

10. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Sorry - not trying to bug you about it. Just want to let you know that my principal waited 4 days longer than she told me. This happened because she had to go to meetings and really forgot. She was worried that I had gotten a job elsewhere. I hadn't, but I had lost a little hope. However, it all worked out well. Have a great day! :)

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 20, 2006

Thanks, Texas Gal. :)
    You're not bugging me, I'm just a little discouraged about the whole thing. Your story makes me feel better, though. Let's hope that is the case in my situation!

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 20, 2006

I'm really losing it! haha
    My phone just rang and I jumped up off the couch and ran to the phone with my heart pounding just to look at the caller ID and see that it was my boss from the after school program. I wanted to say, "Why would you call me? Don't you know I'm waiting for a very important phone call?!" but I didn't say that..... ;)

13. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 20, 2006

oh you poor thing!! Well you've got me the same way! Everytime an email pops up where Beth2004 has posted for "interview today," I get extremely anxious for it to come up b/c I think you're posting that you have gotten a call!!! Hang in there Beth. :)

14. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 20, 2006

Still keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

15. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Jul 20, 2006

OMG I was like that too...your not alone!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

Oh Beth I hope they call you soon. I am going to be the same way now that I had these three interviews! I actually had a call today that I didn't recognize the number and thought it was maybe someone calling from their cell phone. But it was another school calling for an interview.
    I hope you can hang in there. I am glad I will be waitressing the next four days to keep me busy.

17. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 20, 2006

JaimeMarie...maybe I should move to Maine! That's great that you're getting so many calls. I just had another interview today. I'm starting to get a cold and don't feel well, but I think it went ok. When I got home I got a rejection letter from my last interview where the Principal asked me if I would be around the next week for the 2nd round. It's so hard to tell what they're thinking when they say things like this.
    Beth- keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

18. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 20, 2006

Good Luck Beth, I hope they contact you soon!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2006

NJ not sure you want to move to Maine. You do know I sent out 104 applications by mail for just ME. And applied on line to ten schools in Maine. And I applied to schools 6 hrs away. My next interview is 4.5 hrs from my home out in the middle of no-where-ville.
    JOY!

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 21, 2006

I just got a call from the principal and I didn't get the position. He did say that with other teachers leaving and what-not they're looking at some other possible openings that they'd like to consider me for, but as of right now there's nothing.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Oh I'm so sorry Beth. That stinks.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

Oh, I'm so sorry!

23. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 21, 2006

Now that's officially 6 different positions (7 if you count the fact that there were 2 3rd grades at this school) that I've interviewed for this year and haven't gotten. I'm starting to feel like I'm never going to get hired. At least I've already got another interview lined up for the week after next.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

But it only takes ONE!!

The right one will come along, hang in there!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2006

Don't feel bad Beth. I have been on six interviews this year for 11 different positions. We will get something!

26. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2006

I'm sorry, Beth.

27. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I am so sorry Beth. I will keep you in my thoughts. HUGS!

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2006

I'm so sorry to hear that; think positive for next week!

29. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I'm sorry too.. it's nice they will consider you if something else opens up... it's also nice, like you said, that you have an interview coming up to prepare for. Plus, that will make #8! Didn't I read somewhere that it takes an average teacher 8 interviews (or positions to interview for in your case)... so maybe that's your lucky position.
    When they ask "why should we hire you" or "why do you want to work for us" at the next school, you can say, "b/c I'm very familiar with the community and have many connections to the community (or something similar), I've got plenty of experience in the 5th grade," and maybe look something up on their website that you like that the school does to add.
    Gosh, I'm really sorry. We were all really hoping for you. This job market is absolutely ridiculous. You're handling it very well, don't let it get you down.

30. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 21, 2006

Actually, this last one was my 8th interview, but this next one will be the 8th position I've interview for this year.
    I'm in the process of looking at their website now to try to see what their mission and goals are. I was trying to see if they listed the curriculum (math, ELA, etc) that they use so I could try to familiarize myself with it, but it doesn't look like they do.

31. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

If the principal, superintendent, or teachers do newsletters that are on there then look closely at those too. I said something like "I was reading your 'Friday Reports' online and I love how the school is so involved w/the community and provides plenty of opportunity for parents and families to come to the school... they have "family movie night" etc. and I love being able to visit w/my students and their families in a casual setting like that, so I mentioned it. They also have afterschool intervention program and an intramural program so I mentioned how interested (and available) I was to do something like that. When I said something about the "Friday Reports" that the principal does online, I'm pretty sure he blushed! I really think that's probably the only thing that made me stand out from anyone else..
    p.s. we'll go with the number of positions you're interviewing for then and since it's the 8th one, it's the lucky one ;)

32. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 21, 2006

I'm so sorry Beth, I know how it feels to go through that over and over and over. Just hang in there, I know it's tough.....

33. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2006

Sorry to hear that Beth...........they are really missing out. It is THEIR loss! Hang in there.............we are all here for you!:love:

34. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 21, 2006

Hang in there! You may find out at this next interview that it is the PERFECT school for you! There is a school out there for you, and any interview might be the one that gets you the job...so stay as positive as possible and wow! them at your next interview.

35. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

That is frustrating Beth, I hope that this next interview will be the one! Good luck next week.

36. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 21, 2006

Best of luck at your interview. Lucky #8!!!

37. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 21, 2006

I'm right there with you Beth...hang in there! Good luck on your next interview.

38. MrsRich219

MrsRich219 Companion

Jul 21, 2006

Beth....the best is YET to come! Hang in there!

39. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 21, 2006

Beth: it seems kinda weird, but I have been told that it is a good idea to call interviewers that did not offer you a job and ask if there is any advice they have to give you about interviewing more effectively. Obviously I have no idea what your interviews are like, but getting someone else's perspective, especially a hirers perspective could be really helpful in your next interview. It requires swallowing some pride, but it puts them on the spot more than you really, so why not try it? With that said, I admit that I personally have never done it. :) just an idea.

40. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 21, 2006

I called once to find out why I did not receive a call for an interview once since I was told to expect one and to see if there was any way I could improve my resume and cover letters. I was told I was not qualified (this was for a support position) for the position and this was why I was not asked to come in for an interview. When I went over how I was qualified the person was dumb founded and then had to say she had no idea why I was not offered an interview. It turned out they probably had already known who they were going to hire and the job posting was just a formality. I did however receive a genuine apology.