Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

Ughh...after teaching summer school this summer it's going to be hard going back to subbing in the fall if nothing comes through. I don't know if I can do it another year. It's not steady and you don't get benefits.

2. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

But, we must be positive. I've heard that a lot of hiring does go on in August.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2006

Here on Long Island, a good majority of the hiring is done in Aug. also.

4. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

is that true, or is it just something they tell us to make us feel better about the situation (sort of like rain being lucky on your wedding day). YUP having a pity party tonight!!!:eek:

5. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

I've heard from two teachers that they were hired in August. However, both of them have been teaching for at least 20 years. I'm also having a pity party tonight.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Some school districts or schools have building subs. A sub that comes in everyday, and they get benefits (not as good as a teacher but some). You may want to call around and ask about those positions. A lot of times they aren't advertised.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 16, 2006

Schools here hire even after school starts. I was hired after school started. In fact I wasn't hired my first year down here until October. My school has to hire someone usually every year after school starts because of increases in enrollment. So girls some places really do hire at the end of the summer and even after school starts.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

I cannot tell you the number of times my school has started Freshman Orientation (the Tues before Labor Day) only to have a brand new teacher-- or 2 or 3-- added to our faculty before the start of classes a week later!! It happens just about every year!! And inevitably it happens because teachers have been hired in public schools. It's a spiral-- district A hires a teacher from B who hires from C.

I hate the fact that so many teachers break contracts-- I personally wouldn't hire them, but that's just my bias. But it does happen!!!!

So, yes, in my experience, a lot does happen at the end.

9. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

I was told not to staple things together, and I never heard of using a folder until now. Maybe I should start stapling. Although the last few applications I did were either faxed or emailed.

10. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2006

We call them stellars. They come in everyday and sub for teachers, parapros, and Special teachers who had called in sick. They may also help out in the office, library,... if they are not needed in the classroom.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2006

I was hired 5 years ago a week after school started. At my current school, we have hired at least one new teacher during the year because of increasing enrollment.

12. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

I've heard about those positions in other states, but none in New Jersey so far.

How about you, NJ, have you heard about any in our area?

13. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I've heard not to staple anything and not to put materials in a folder because they just paper clip the materials and throw away anything else- then they toss it in a pile or in a file.

I guess every school district has their own system...

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

I've heard of them, but they are rare. In one case the women who was a permanent substitute interviewed for teacher positions within the district and never got one. She worked there for 5 years and eventually resigned. The other one I knew about was also not hired for a permanent position. I'm not sure if those positions lead to anything, but I would definitely take one in the meantime.

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 16, 2006

Me too - if they offered bennies!! Right now that is my biggest fear. My husband is self employed and no access to benefits. I am being laid off from my current position and my benefits will last a few months, but then I'm in trouble. For a family - we're talking $1800 a month at least!

16. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

I know how expensive it can be. I'm hoping my COBRA will kick in, otherwise, I'm in the same situation. Although I am only fending for myself, it's still pretty bad. I really hope both of us get lucky and find a job soon! Check the paper today, there's a lot in south Jersey. Nothing in my area.

17. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 16, 2006

We have building subs here in Indianapolis too. If I don't get an actual teaching spot then that is what I think I am doing this year. All I know is the job I had last year is no longer available because they stopped the program I was in but I still got the letter at the end of the year that stated that I would have a job this year. They at that time and still right now do not know what that job will be.

18. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Well at least you have it in writing.

19. Sabrina O'Bryan

Sabrina O'Bryan Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Interviews!!

I have already recieved a third grade postion. Although the third grade postion is 25 mintunes away. I have four other interviews coming up in the next three weeks. All of the other four interviews are within ten mintunes of my home. Of, course I would take an offer closer to home. I just wish I would know where I will be at so I can start decorating my room and getting my classroom things in order.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2006

Have you signed a contract for the third grade position?

21. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 17, 2006

Did you already accept this position? I would be afraid of burning bridges if I left a position that I already accepted. Did you sign a contract or anything? Do they know you are still looking?

22. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

Beth, have you heard anything more yet?

23. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

I was wondering the same thing!!!

24. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 17, 2006

Make that 3, I was wondering if you had heard anything yet also Beth :)

25. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 17, 2006

Make that 4 wondering!!!

26. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

Sabrina,

is the differerence between 25 mins and 10 mins. that important? I wouldn't break a contract over it. If you've already accepted the third grade position, I would stick with it.

27. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 18, 2006

Beth make it five. Petunia

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2006

Beth- count me in too:)

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2006

No, I haven't heard anything yet. I was really hoping to get a phone call yesterday, but didn't so maybe I'll hear something today. The superintendent did tell me that if I hadn't heard anything it's because they hadn't made a decision yet, but I'm just really hoping to hear something soon!

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

I'm also waiting with fingers (and toes) crossed!

31. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jul 18, 2006

i am also waiting anxiously for you. it's funny to feel connected to people that you don't know... but really you do. i'm hoping for you beth!

32. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2006

I hate all this waiting! I just feel like if I had the job I would already know it. That's how I've felt with all of the interviews I've been on and I've always been right up until this point (obviously because I don't have a job yet!). When I got hired for the long-term sub positions this year I knew right away. With the first one I got called 20 mins after my interview to offer me the job and with the second I interviewed on a Friday afternoon and got called at like 9 on Monday morning offering me the job.
    I know that it's probably a long, complicated decision-making process for these people and that they probably have other things going on as well, but I just keep thinking that if I had the job I would have gotten a call yesterday. I try not to think this way, but I can't help it. I just want to get a call letting me know either way so that I can stop wondering!

33. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Hey Beth, after my second interview on a Tuesday, my principal told me he would call me no later than Thursday if I got to the 3rd round because he wanted to do the 3rd round on Friday (he was going to be leaving town for 10 days Friday evening). So, Thursday came and went and I was pretty much crushed that I didn't make it, and had printed off some more resumes to hand-deliver to some schools on that Friday. He ended up calling me Friday night at like 8:15 on his way out of town to tell me that he'd like me to come in for the 3rd round. Totally bizarre...
    So anyway, there's still PLENTY of hope for you.. and they did say they'd let you know by mid-week? Or am I just making that up... if I'm not, it's not quite mid-week yet so hang in there :)

34. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

The school that hired me said they would call within an hour after I left the school. When two hours came and went I was nervous they were not going to hire me after all. Maybe you could drop a Thank You email for the first interview or a quick call? That way you can express your interest without feeling to annoying.

35. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2006

I sent a thank you note to the principal after my first interview 3 weeks ago and then sent one to the superintendent last week after the second interview.

36. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2006

Yes, they did say mid week. :)
    I don't know, maybe part of the reason why I'm getting so discouraged is because subconsciously I don't want to get my hopes up and be totally crushed if I don't get it.

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 18, 2006

CALL THEM! What will it hurt?

38. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Jul 18, 2006

Turn that worry into positive affirmations! Yes, you may get hurt if you don't get it. But, you'll be hurt if you set yourself up for it and you'll also be hurt if you don't expect it. Either way, you won't want to hear bad news. SOOO ~ I the meantime, picture yourself driving up on that first day of school ready to work. This is a wonderful time for you, so enjoy it. So many people just want a chance to interview. You not only had one, but it went very well. I am sending positive thoughts your way. I am happy for all you have done. You go girl! Look at how many people are backing you on this board. That is SO AWESOME! Keep us posted...

39. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 18, 2006

If it were me I might give them a quick call and inquire about where they are in the decision making process and see if there is anything I need to do in the meantime. But that's just me! :)

40. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 18, 2006

I probably won't call just yet. Maybe if I haven't heard anything by Friday, but when I met with them last Wednesday they said that they were going to be finishing up the interviews on Friday and that I would hear something either way by the middle of this week. It's only Tuesday so I think I'll wait a few more days.