Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

oh that stinks. some people!

2. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, she's a tough one. I'm just worried that something like that will happen and the principal will think I did that intentionally so that he couldn't get a hold of her. I'm hoping she emails me back so I can call him with her phone number.

3. Sabrina O'Bryan

Sabrina O'Bryan Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

You willl do fine! During my first interview I was so nerveous but I made it. Clam down and relax, which is easier said than done. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

OH I hope she emails you back soon.

5. thecottage

thecottage Guest

Jul 12, 2006

Yeah, I know. I was just waiting about a TA job, so I can't imagine what the rest of you are going through!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

6. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Beth! I've been dying to get back home to my computer today to see how it went. It sounds like it went very well and to know that there are 2 open positions AND they were asking which references to call, it sounds REALLY good for you. The principal, even if he calls and doesn't get her, you've got other references on there too so if he can't get ahold of the amount of references that he needs, I'm sure he'll just select one of the other references to call.
    I'm so excited for you!!! :)

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

I just got this email from the teacher I was trying to get a hold of yesterday.

Bethany,

I tried to call you yesterday and today but guess I don't have the right number and *** said that you're not in the system. I called the principal today and gave you rave reviews. My summer is going well. Would like some better weather. The principal sounded excited about you and of course I told him how wonderful you really are. Anyways, my home number is *** in the event you need it. I hope you get the job. You deserve it. Maybe we can do lunch one of these days. Take care. Let me know if you need anything.

I emailed her back thanking her and telling her that she's the best. haha I'm also curious how she knew who to call because I didn't give her any names or numbers when I emailed about the phone number problem. He must've called and left a message on her school voicemail. Anyway, I feel much better about it now!

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2006

Sounds as though everything is falling into place!

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

I hope so. I really want this job. I got such a good feeling from the principal and the teachers at the school and then from the superintendent yesterday as well. I feel like this position would be a really good fit for me.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

I hope you get it Beth!
    I just mailed out packet number 103.

11. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 13, 2006

Beth,

I have read alot of your posts and have come to a conclusion... you will be an absolutely terrific teacher. From the sound of things it appears that the principal for these two positions has decided this also. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that you finally get the opportunity to show a classroom of kids and their parents how great you really are at making sure they get a terrific education.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

Wow, thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words.:love:
    I'm hoping that the principal feels that way also.
    Thanks again!

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2006

Beth,
    When they call your references it is a GREAT sign! What grades are the positions for? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fourth grade position for you!

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

Both of the openings are for 3rd grade this year and then looping with the same class to 4th grade next school year.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2006

Oh Beth, I'm so excited for you!!!!!! What a glowing review the 5th grade teacher had for you! Things are looking up!:D :love:

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

Thanks!!
    Yeah, she's great. That's one of the reasons why I suggested her when the principal asked me which of my references would be best to call. :)

17. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

Beth-
    things sound really good for you and that teacher actually calling the school and giving the recommendation and stuff is just great-that was really good of her!!
    BTW-where in MA are you? I am in North Central MA.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

I'm in Southeastern, MA

19. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

Are you sending packets to districts you previously sent to?

I can't even find that many within an hour of my house.

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

Oh they aren't all with in four hrs of my home! Some are the same districts. Everytime a job is posted I apply to it.

21. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 13, 2006

They say persistence pays off. Let's hope so!

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 13, 2006

At this point it is paying out. I think I am going broke trying to send them out.

23. norogo

norogo Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

Beth-what town are you trying to get the job in?

24. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 13, 2006

I PM'd you. :)

25. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

Beth,

I think I know exactly how you feel. I have gone on so so so many interviews and it just totally kills you when you get a rejection call You question if you are made for this career? I am glad to hear that you have a possible position. I have a few interviews this coming week and I am so nervous. Why is it so hard to find a job in the east? Uggh! I am in southern CT and it totally bites. I hope to hear that you got the job soon! And if you don't, it will be okay!!

26. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

Good luck, good luck, good luck Beth! That's very exciting that they called your references!

27. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

mrsamieb,

It isn't just the east that is difficult, I went through the same thing in the Midwest (Kentucky) for several years working as a para, private school teacher, adult ed. teacher, and finally saying forget this and moving to GA to accept a teaching position. By the way, it was the best decision I have ever made. I love it here, the kids are great, and I really like the area, warm, very little bad weather, close enough to be able to reach Altanta if I need to go there (35 miles east). By the way for any of you still looking and who would be willing to move south if you go to www.teachgeorgia.org and fill out the app for newton county you still have a chance I heard today that they still have openings and school starts in 2 weeks from today.

By the way, Beth have you had any news?

28. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

It's funny you should say that after hearing NO for the umteenth time I applied for a school district in Alpharetta. My dad now lives there. Of course I had no business doing that since my husband doesn't have a job there... but I got like not kidding 10 calls for interviews. If we could move I would at this point!

29. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 14, 2006

Alpharetta is a vvvery nice area (insert the word wealthy for vvvery) from what I have been told. Are you sure you couldn't convince your husband to move south? Alot of companies have branches or even headquarters here in the area. Another friend moved from Minnesota to take a position and her husband came down. That lasted 2 weeks. He was then hired in computer programming and working in Alpharetta. They live here in Newton.

30. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 14, 2006

He put his name out there, he's an engineer. But it wouldn't happen this school year. I would love to leave near my dad too! Maybe next year if I don't get a job this year!

31. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 14, 2006

In NJ, really? Are you in a really rural area? We have so many school districts in this state. Some with only 1 or 2 schools in them. Did you pull up the school lists to make it easier on you? They list by county so that helps. I found it on the NJDOE website and printed it out. It's an excel worksheet.

32. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 14, 2006

I got mine down to $1.10 first class, $.69 regular. It is really adding up! Hopefully, like NJ said, persistance pays off. I plan to send 10 this week and another 10 next week. Hopefully they'll get sick of seeing my name and hire me just to get me off their backs.
    :D

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

How are you doing it so cheap? Sometimes mine come to 1.59 if I have to put the application in there to. I put them in a black folder. Maybe that is why. The secretary at the central office in the district I para for said she likes them in folders because the envelops just go in the trash.

34. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

I usually am not including the application in my packets. I send the cover letter, the resume, and a copy of my certificate in a folder. Maybe your folder is heavier than mine or maybe you are including much more paperwork? Maybe I need to include more!!!:eek:
    One tidbit that an administrator passed on to me - staple or paperclip your paperwork together if it is not in a folder. They hate opening an envelope and having the papers fly all over the place...:D

35. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

This is what is in my packets: cover letter, resume (two pages), application (usually four pages), copy of cert., copy of transcripts (2 pages), and three letters of reference. So inside the folder I have between 13 and 15 pages. Oh and the front cover of my folder has an opening and I put a piece of paper in there with my name on it.

36. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

There you go! I don't enclose nearly as much as you do. As I said above, I don't send an application and I don't send my transcripts and resume unless requested to do so.
    Maybe that's why I don't get the calls!!:eek:

Maybe you lucky new job holders can give us a hint as to what you enclosed in your packets?!?!

37. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Actually the reason I send all of that stuff is because the ads state to send it.

38. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

Gotcha!
    Most of my packets are "cold calls" because there are very few positions listed. Gee - could that be because most of our yearly school budgets were rejected by the masses this year?:rolleyes:

I would be happy as an aide at this point! At least its a foot in the door.

39. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

This is getting depressing. I didn't hear back from my interview on Tuesday. The Principal/Super said she would let me know by the end of the week.

I am in a rural area by the way, and I have been mostly applying to ads. I'm getting a little frustrated. I've had 3 interviews this summer and nothing has panned out. THe thing is i dont know why. Is it the interview, my references, or just not the right school.

40. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

If you have other districts around you that are not advertising, you may want to send packets to them anyway.
    I would love to answer it for you, but I haven't been called for any interviews yet :(
    I feel like a leper (is that how you spell it?). I am very discouraged. I did call two districts for sub packets because I have to face the fact that I might not have a job in September.