Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2006

2. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2006

I applied for a 4th grade position. My heart really wasn't into it because it's not the grade level I really want. When they asked me that question, I told them that it wasn't the grade that attracted me, it was the district and the school. I told them that I could be happy and successful in any grade as long as I could focus my energies, but that my passion was for the primary grades. They applauded my honesty and guess what???? They just called and offered me a 1st grade!!!:)

3. lilbrandie

lilbrandie Rookie

Jun 30, 2006

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is so great!! I know that it will happen to me eventually. I was offered a science summer camp teaching position today, a small victory. Will have to just keep sending out the resumes.

4. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Congratulation! I think you got it.

5. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 30, 2006

Yay! That's awesome! Honesty always pays off.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2006

I got a call today from someone in the admin building to set up my second interview. It's going to be July 12th at 1:15. I'm really excited!

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

Great news Beth! You are closer than you think!!!!:angel:

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2006

It is great news. :)
    I was worried because when the principal called me last week and told me I was going to pushed through to the next phase he said he wasn't sure when the interview was going to be. I was worried that I wouldn't hear anything for a while. It stinks that I'm going to have to worry about the interview for another 9 days, but at least I know when it's going to be!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

Great news!

10. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

That's great, Beth! Now you have the chance to hand out your mini-portfolios, if you want too. :)

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2006

I plan to!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 4, 2006

Make sure you bring enough LOL.

13. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Beth, that's very exciting! Congratulations. :) I'll be thinking of you at that time.

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 4, 2006

haha...I'm going to bring 5 with me again. I should be alright, though, because when the secretary set up my appt yesterday she said, "You'll be interviewing with the superintendent and Mr. C-----(the principal I already met with)" so I'm thinking it's only going to be the two of them.

15. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 4, 2006

Thanks!

16. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 4, 2006

Beth: So excited you have your interview on the 12th. My prayers will be with you.

Terptoteacher: Congratulations on your 1st grade position!! :)

17. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 5, 2006

Good luck today Beth! Let us know how it goes. :)

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2006

I wish it was today! haha It's not until next Wednesday.

19. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 5, 2006

Oh geez... yeah, duh, the 12th. You poor girl, that's forever away! At least you will be VERY prepared for it! Well, I will wish you luck again in a week. :)

20. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2006

I know, this next week is going to kill me! haha I was just really happy to get the phone call to at least set up the interview...otherwise I'd be sitting here waiting for them to call!

21. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 5, 2006

Good for you! I'm wondering how you answered these questions:
    What do you think about phonics instruction at the 3rd grade level?
    How would you begin to plan a math lesson on multiplication?
    How do you teach the writing process?
    How do you relate the curriculum to your student's lives?

I think I would freeze up on all of these. I have an interview next week for first/fourth grades, which are totally different and now put me on the spot for knowing both inside out!

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 5, 2006

Here is how I answered these questions (vaguely):

What do you think about phonics instruction at the 3rd grade level?
    I think that it is sometimes necessary. As a teacher you need to expect your students to be at many different levels. In third grade there may be some students reading at a 7th grade level while others are still struggling with phonics and if that is the case then the teacher needs to do mini lessons with those students to help them while allowing the other students to read things that are at their own levels.
    How would you begin to plan a math lesson on multiplication?
    When teaching multiplication I think it's important to start with hands-on methods. It is important that they can actually see what they're doing when they are multiplying. In the past I have used counters for the students, drawn out equal groups, and used graph paper to make arrays.--This then lead to a question about using more traditional methods in math versus more contemporary methods and, in short, I said that there needs to be a combination of both.
    How do you teach the writing process?
    I was a little stumped when they asked this one, but I said: When starting to teach the writing process I think modeling is very important. Many times students would rather write something once and then be done with it. By modeling the students are able to see that even adults need to edit and revise their work before publishing it.
    How do you relate the curriculum to your student's lives?
    With this one I discussed a lesson on probablity that I did with 5th graders using dice and coins and said: Students of all ages have a tendancy to say things like, "When am I ever going to use this?" or "Why do I have to know this?" and I think it's important to connect the curriculum to their daily lives so that they understand the importance of what they are learning.

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 5, 2006

Sending a Good Luck Hug.

24. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Beth- Thanks so much for posting your answers. I will have to remember the array method for multiplication. And using hands-on tools. There's so many ways to approach this one and the Everyday Math program is a bit confusing, but that's the only one I have experience with. Also, thinking of something I used to connect the curriculum to their lives is a good one...I have to think about that one. But I'm sure I will can come up with an example. Using money in math is good...also a school store to teach adding and subtracting money.

Thanks again!!!

25. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 6, 2006

Beth - I'm so happy for you. Sounds like he is really interested in you. Best of luck!

26. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 12, 2006

Okay, NOW I can say, GOOD LUCK TODAY BETH! In my experience, the 2nd round is much easier, more relaxed (and you feel a little more confident), than the 1st so you'll look EVEN BETTER to them today. Can't wait to hear about it!

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Go Beth!!!!!

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 12, 2006

Oh wow, thanks you two! I really appreciate you remembering, saraheco! :)
    I've got about an hour and a half to go! I'll post when I get home to let every know how it went.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

Hey I sent you a PM this morning did you get it? Computer is acting funny today.
    Anyway you have less than a hour to go now!

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2006

Good Luck Beth.........we're all rooting for you!!!!!!!!

31. iharding

iharding Companion

Jul 12, 2006

I hope you did great!! Good luck and don't forget to let us know how it went today!!!

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

I can't take the pressure. Sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for you to get back. If I had your number I would be calling you!

33. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

Ok so your interview was at 1:15 so it's only been a little over a half hour. I supppose I should give you an hr than some so you can at least get home.

34. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 12, 2006

Jaime, you're too funny!
    My interview was at 1:15, I got there at around 1:05 and waited until almost 1:30 for them to see me. It was ok, though, because they were both so nice. The principal was there and obviously I had already met him, but I was meeting the superintendent for the first time and she was really sweet. She made me feel comfortable right away. She basically explained that at the 2nd tier of the interview process they're really just trying to get a feel for me and not necessarily asking the same types of questions that I was asked at the first interview. I was just asked things like, "What would you bring to the team and how would working with the team benefit you?" and I was asked to describe my experiences as a long-term substitute....things like that. As saraheco suggested earlier, it was definitely more relaxed. The superintendent actually referred to it as a "chat". :)
    I feel like it went well. She described the benefits and what-not to me because she said that the decision-making is a two way street. I was really happy too because the principal actually complimented me on how well I did at the first interview. So, I'm happy with how it went. They said they will be wrapping up interviews by the end of the week and then I should know either way by the middle of next week. Hopefully it will be sooner than that because this waiting game really stinks :p but I guess I'll survive until then! haha
    Thanks again, everyone!

35. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

that sounds great....I do hope all goes well you sure deserve it

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

ACK you have to wait another week. That stinks. Glad it went well. How many people had a second interview?

37. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 12, 2006

I don't know how many other people there are. They didn't mention it and I didn't ask. There are two openings, though so hopefully that will work in my favor.
    Right now I'm freaking out a little because he asked which of my 3 references would be best to call and I suggested the fifth grade teacher that I worked with as a sub because she spent a great deal of time working with me and has seen me teach several times. He put a mark next to her name on my list so I'm guessing he's going to try to call her, but I just realized that the number I have for her is her school number and she's not there! I don't have her home or cell number either so I just emailed her to ask for it so I can call and give it to him. The reason that's the number I have on there, though is because I applied for this back in May when there was still over a month left of school. ugh! I hope she emails me back soon!

38. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 12, 2006

It's normal for us to put school phone numbers down. What will happen is the secretary will one call and relay the message to her, or the secretary will give them a number to contact her.

39. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 12, 2006

The secretary at that school is much more likely to say "She's not here. It's summer vacation." and hang up. haha

40. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2006

Keeping fingers crossed for you, Beth! Hope all works out!