Interview today

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Beth2004, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2006

Today is my interview for a 3rd/4th grade looping position in a nearby district. It's at 11:15 so I've got about two more hours and I'm extremely nervous. I think one of the reasons why I'm so nervous is because i've interviewed for 5 positions already for next school year that I haven't gotten so I feel like I must be doing something wrong! I'm trying to stay positive and think about answers to possible questions, but I just can't get the knots out of my stomach. Anyway, I'll post again when I get home later to let everyone know how it went and what questions they asked.

3. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Best of luck! You will be great!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2006

Good luck Beth!!! Let them see what a wonderful addition to their faculty you'll make!!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2006

Thank you. I want a teaching position more than anything else right now and this whole applying/interviewing process is just so nerve-wracking!!

6. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jun 28, 2006

Beth,
    As long as you remember to breath I am sure you will present yourself nicely. Good Luck with the interview my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Justine

7. Pecas

Pecas Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Beth, just be yourself! You don't want to come across as someone you are not!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2006

I feel like the interview went really well. I didn't have enough of my "mini portfolios" for everyone there (i had 5 and 6 people interviewed me) so I didn't hand them out. I'm regretting it now, but I didn't want to leave anyone out. I was interviewed by the principal, vp, 3 teachers and a parent. Here are the questions I can remember:
    Tell me about yourself.
    If we walked into your classroom during your literacy block, what types of things would we see?
    What do you think about phonics instruction at the 3rd grade level?
    How would you begin to plan a math lesson on multiplication?
    How do you teach the writing process?
    How do you relate the curriculum to your student's lives?
    How do you create a safe, nurturing environment for your students?
    How do you accomodate students of different learning abilities?
    Describe a time when you worked with a struggling reader.
    How has your coursework helped you to become a better teacher?
    What in education or in life are you very passionate about?

9. lilbrandie

lilbrandie Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Interview

I just got back from an interview for a middle school reading intervention teaching position. I applied to this district for an elementary position and am not sure why I was called for this interview. I've been called for junior high positions that I have'nt applied for but not elementary ones that I have. It's so frustrating. I'm not familiar with middle school, so the questions I'm asked are so difficult to answer. The worst question is, "Why did you apply for this position?" I don't what to say. I don't want to say the truth, which is , "I'm so desperate for a position that I'll take anything!!"

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 28, 2006

Good Luck. Hope you get the call that you are hired.

11. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Wow you can actually remember the questions afterwards. I always go completly blank after the interview. I think it my brains way of clearing my mind so I can drive home. I also have a tendency to take a long nap afterwards. Is this normal?

12. lilbrandie

lilbrandie Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

I don't remember questions I was asked either. I try to come home and write them down so I can prepare better answers in case they come up again, but that doesn't work too often. I'm actually sitting here trying to remember the name of the person who interviewed me this morning so I can send a thank you card, I'm drawing a blank.

13. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 28, 2006

I swear it is all the stress that is involved in getting ready for the interview that completly wears me out. I have enough energy to drive home and that is that. I have to end up looking up online to figure out who I interviewed with. Sometimes I even have to call someone I know at the school to help me out. I am terrible at remembering names. lol

14. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jun 28, 2006

Hah! I am the same way.. I felt so bad because I really wanted to remember mine to post on here, but the whole way home I kept thinking, I seriously have no clue what they asked me. I could remember 3 out of 20.

Beth, the fact that you feel good about your interview is already a great sign! I can't wait for you to hear back... did you get some sort of timeline? Thanks for posting the questions you were asked. :)

15. hopefulteacher

hopefulteacher Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

i am the same way! i just had an interview 30 minutes ago and i am struggling to remember it at all..
    some ?'s that I can remember:
    how would you plan for students success? (that threw me...are they talking about lesson planning or helping students succeed)

how would you use technology?

but beth i feel the SAME way, don't worry. I want to be a teacher so bad but I get stifled during the interview! Today wasn't such a great interview and i know it. Part of the reason is because it is 95 degrees out and I am in a bright pink sweater, skirt, panty hose, and close-toed shoes...i was sweating so bad but it wasnt because i was nervous!

I felt like my interview today wasn't a total bomb...but it wasn't that strong, unfortunately. It stinks because I was really doing well at my interview yesterday and the ones last week...we just have to keep plugging away!

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

Actually one of the reason we all can not remember the questions is due to adrenaline and stress. Look up on the net short term memory loss and high adrenaline.
    Here is one article there are many more.
    http://www.memorylossonline.com/spring2002/stress.htm

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 28, 2006

My friend a few years ago was at an interview in a suit. At the end she said Gosh I'm sweating like a pig. The interview committee thought that was funny, and they liked her personality. She was hired and is still working there.

18. iharding

iharding Companion

Jun 28, 2006

That's awesome. :D

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2006

That's funny. I was in a suit too, but luckily it was kind of rainy today and only about 75 degrees.
    I didn't joke about sweating :) but I did get excited about one the questions they asked and said, "I'm so glad you asked that! It's my favorite story to tell!" and they all got a chuckle out of that. They asked about a time when I worked with a struggling reader and I told them about a boy I worked with last summer who failed reading and was being held back in 3rd grade, but once school started they promoted him to 4th because he had improved by leaps and bounds over the summer. I think they all really liked that story. I always try to be myself during interviews and I think my personality really shone through today...so we'll see....

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2006

Beth..........best wishes!!!! I bet they loved you.......how could they not? Keep us posted......I'll be crossing those toes and fingers for you!!!!!!

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2006

Also, I know what you mean about going blank after the interview. I do remember most of the questions (there are about 5 or so that I can't remember for the life of me!) but I've been exhausted all day. I had to go to work right after the interview...I'm subbing at the after school/summer program...and I was in a fog all afternoon. My boss said, "You seem like you're not happy about the interview" and I told her I feel like it went well, but I was just out of it and exhausted. You get so worked up before the interview that afterwards your whole body feels like jello!

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2006

Beth,
    This position sounds perfect for you! I hope they recognize how talented you are!! Don't think you are doing something wrong because of the previous interviews.

23. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 28, 2006

Beth2004: Sounds like you nailed this one. Heck I'd hire you just for remembering all those questions! ;) Seriously though, the right school will appreciate you and it's clear you have a lot to offer. Stay positive.

Nasimi77

24. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

Oh, I really hope I get it. Now I'm just playing the infamous waiting game. The principal told me that this was just the first tier of the interview process and that those who make it through this tier will be called for an interview with him and the superintendent. He said he doesn't know when that will be, though, but "hopefully it will be sooner rather than later." He said I'll hear either way. I just hope I get a phone call soon and I'm not sitting around until August waiting to hear something!

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

I hate the waiting game. I'm playing the waiting for an interview game at the moment. I think I'll call the schools I mailed applications out to last week and find out where they are in the process.

26. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

I still have quite a few resumes floating around out there that I haven't heard anything about yet. I mailed out the packet for this position on May 22nd and the deadline was June 5th.

27. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

Well, I just got a call from the principal and I'm being pushed through to the second set of interviews!!!! :)
    He said again that he doesn't know when those interviews will be, but he asked if I'm interviewing anywhere else. I told him that I've applied other places, but I have not interviewed anywhere else and he said that if I do get called to interview somewhere else to give him a call and let him know so that he can get on the superintendent's back to move the process along. The fact that he said that makes me feel like he really wants me in the running! I wish I knew how many other people I was up against, but oh well. I'll just have to do my best.....and there are two openings so we'll see!!! I'm so excited!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

Beth, that sounds soooo good!!

The "let me know if you get another interview" is the best thing he could have said (other than "you're hired now" of course!). When is the next interview??

29. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

He doesn't know when they're going to be. He probably has to work out a schedule with the superintendent (who probably has a million things she's trying to get done right now!). Hopefully it will be soon. At least I know I'm moving on through the process, though!

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 29, 2006

I got the same response when I contacted my school to let them know I wanted to return to work (after 6 years home with the kids.) When I did call, on a Saturday morning, to let them know I had been offered another job, it was less than an hour before they called back to offer me one. I'm happy to say I'm now back where I wanted to be!

I bet this holiday weekend is at exactly the WRONG time for you though!

31. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 29, 2006

Oh oh oh Beth! I am so excited for you! I hope you get it. You should have told him you had another interview on Wednesday or Thursday or something. Actually I bet all the principals and admins are taking next week off.

32. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 29, 2006

Beth: Wow, that is really great news! I am rootin' for ya! :D

N77

33. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 29, 2006

Definitely! Who knows when I'm actually going to get a phone call to set up the interview!

34. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 29, 2006

Beth,
    That is great news!!

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 29, 2006

How exciting! Hopefully they'll call you soon. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

36. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2006

interview with the superintendant

Hi,
    This is my first posting here. I just found this site and it's great!
    I've had two interviews at the school where I feel I belong. I've made it to the superintendant both times. The first time, I was so nervous that I blew the interview. I got some feedback and apparently I didn't mention the phrase, "I want to teach." once during the whole interview.
    I just got a call from the school and they've offered me a 'tentative' position as long as I can pass the superintendant's interview. This is for a different position than last time.

Does anyone have any ideas how to properly handle the stress and nerves?

Oh, what's a good reply to, "What is your view on Education Reform and what have you done towards reform?"

thanks for any help!!!

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2006

What grade/subject are you planning to teach? I think the answer would probably depend on that.

38. terptoteacher

Jun 30, 2006

My first interview with the super was for a 5th grade. I wasn't too excited about it since I had a very tough year last year with a 5th grade. They asked about Educational Reform and what's been my involvement with it.

This new position is a first grade --which I'm totally excited about!!

When I did a search for Educational Reform I got hits for everything from adding technology to the classroom to teaching to the mulitple intelligences to aligning curriculum to the state standards.

I just don't know how to answer that question.

39. terptoteacher

Jun 30, 2006

Last year I had an interview for a fourth grade position. I didn't feel good physically the day before the interview and on the morning of, I woke up with a temp of 103!!! I took some tylenol and thought that would take care of it. ( I thought it would look bad to postpone) I was sweating something fierce during the interview and I don't think I answered any of the questions with great responses. Later that day I went to the dr. who sent me to the ER and I was admitted with a raging bladder infection!!! I was in the hospital for 5 days!! That was definitly the worst interview I've ever had!!!!

40. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 30, 2006

I don't really know-- but I think educational reform is about using research and data based intructional methods/practices. Keeping up to date with research. Continuing education. And like you said aligning with the standards. I'm not really sure, but it probably has to do with NCLB. Maybe the NCLB website would have some information.

41. MissB

MissB Companion

Jun 30, 2006