Interview Today--I'm excited!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SpecialEdTeache, Feb 19, 2010.

1. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Feb 19, 2010

Hello everyone!

Well, I finally got my SPED endorsement in December!!!! Yeh!!!! Today at 4:30 is my interview. I have four yrs. tching exp. in another state, am 57, and am interviewing at a very diverse inner city school.

My question is, what kinds of questions do you think I'll get? My prof. said he thought they'd want to know more about how I work with kids and strategies. Now, I'm very good at working with kids with special needs, but the reason I don't have a job yet is I get anxious b4 interviews and can't remember well when asked spur of the moment questions (which is what happens in interviews). Everytime I prepare really well, it doesn't help.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. Do I need to know much about the laws?

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 19, 2010

Shoot, sorry I didn't see this post in time to answer your questions. How did it go?

And I've never had anyone ask me about special ed law in an interview.

4. SpecialEdTeache

Feb 19, 2010

You know, thanks for asking. It went well. She said at the end that she couldn't make me an offer, just recommend me to HR (but didn't say that she WOULD recommend me to HR). So, I'm waiting 'till next week. But, it feels good to know I interviewed well. Didn't get nervous this time. So, that was nice. She didn't ask me ANYTHING about SPED law, either :) She was mainly wondering about how I would work with the kids and strategies I would use in various scenarios.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Feb 19, 2010

Aww, I'm sorry it didn't result in an offer. But hey, at least you got some practice in. Now you'll know what to expect next time. All of my interviews were pretty much the same. They would just throw scenarios at me and ask what I'd do in that situation. A lot of behavior/classroom management questions, general background questions, ideas and plans, etc. I always hated the question, "Do you have any questions for us?" Always stumped me. I'd always try to go in prepared to ask some ground-shaking question and just end up saying something stupid like, "How many other folks are you interviewing and when can I expect to hear back from you either way?" Duh...

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 20, 2010

IT sounds as though it went really well... we'll keep our fingers crossed for good news!

7. SpecialEdTeache

Feb 20, 2010

Thanks Alice! You know, it was as if I instinctively knew how to answer almost every question. That amazed me. What is disturbing about the position is that they have a large number of kids, some with IEPs, some not, who have severe behavior issues and constantly disrupt the class. So, it would be extremely challenging.

So, I am praying about whether I should accept it if it is offered. It is very difficult b/c I REALLY want to teach.

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2010

Glad it went well! Good luck!

9. SpecialEdTeache

Feb 21, 2010

Thanks, Jessica!

10. Evian

Evian Rookie

Feb 25, 2010

How do you go about applying for teaching positions in your area? Is there some sort of consortium where school districts post their job openings? In Chicago, I faxed over 167 schools. I hand delivered about 25 resumes to the principal. Is that allowed where you are trying to get in?

I get nervous too on interviews! It normal. Have you tried working as a sub first? This got me into several good schools. It is the best way to find out which schools are run right and which ones have a revolving doors mentality.

11. SpecialEdTeache

Feb 26, 2010

Evian, the Dept. of Educ. posts jobs, by category, online. We have to fill out the online applications, in my state, for each school system, and the one I interviewed with recently requires you to have a criminal background check updated every 6 months to be considered for an interview.

12. g.r.i.t.s.teach

g.r.i.t.s.teach Rookie

Mar 1, 2010

SpecialEdTeache 2-20

What is disturbing about the position is that they have a large number of kids, some with IEPs, some not, who have severe behavior issues and constantly disrupt the class. So, it would be extremely challenging.

So, I am praying about whether I should accept it if it is offered. It is very difficult b/c I REALLY want to teach.

I just wanted to let you know from experience that your first instincts and second thoughts on a position means you might not want to take the job. Besides the class being "extremely challenging", what did you think of the principal? What was your instinct about her? Is this the right place for you as a first year Special Education teacher (or were those 4 years sp ed in the other state?). I know you "really want to teach", and you might just take anything, but if you are already having second thoughts...I just had an sp ed experience that was "challenging" and I just wanted to teach and didn't take the signs. If you want me to talk more in depth or explain the situation or have any questions, just PM me.

***My computer won't allow me to quote messages in reply!