Interview Tips?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by biologyland, Dec 12, 2011.

1. biologyland

biologyland Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

Hey everyone.

I have been working as a long-term sub in an earth science II/astronomy class in an inner-city school. Last week, they asked me if I would like to interview for another position with this school (a biology one, yay!) that would start in January.

While I'm sad at the thought of leaving these kids that I've finally bonded with, I am excited about a potential full-time, benefited position (living paycheck to paycheck is not fun). My only concern is that I've never landed a teaching job from an interview before. The few that I went to I was passed over for applicants with more experience or the positions were filled internally (I live in a rural area and commute to the city right now). I had applied to this school district over the summer, but the computer system glitched on my application and no one at the school board was able to access it (talk about bad luck, right?).

So, I'm understandably nervous about it. I've been with the school for a while and I know my administrators very well, so that's definitely a bonus. I also really understand the (usually crazy) dynamic of the school. Other than that, I'm at a total loss.

What do I wear? My interview is before the school day starts, so do I pull out the suit and wear it all day or do I wear clothes that I normally would for a day of teaching?

What kind of questions should I expect? What were the most random questions you ever got at interviews? All of the interviews I have been on have given at least one question that threw me off my game a little bit.

I'm also a very anxious person, (I have untreated generalized anxiety disorder) so any tips on how to keep calm would be appreciated!

Sorry if this is in the wrong place; I'm just freaking out a tiny bit.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2011

I would pull out the suit. If it would bother you to wear it all day, then bring a change of clothes.

I would also go in feeling more confident because you know the administration and teachers as well as the school and the students.

4. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 12, 2011

It's always better to overdress for an interview, so you wouldn't be in the wrong for wearing a suit. Do you know with whom the interview would be taking place? If you trust a teacher in the building you may ask them what it was like being interviewed, specifically regarding the curveball questions.
    Being on your "home court" should help your anxieties. You also have direct experience in teaching to use when answering questions. You have done well with these students as implied by how you have "bonded" with them.
    A few general tips. Make eye contact but don't stair. You can use your hands when speaking, but do not be over the top - a little gesticulating is normal and shows engagement. When answering questions, try to answer the question by using direct experience. It doesn't matter the question even if it is a hypothetical. The interviewer is trying to figure out WHO you are and WHAT have you done. Answering with experiences answers both of these questions. Finally, you will most likely be asked if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Be sure to have a couple if not several. Having questions shows you are engaged, interested, and shows initiative. Try to include a question based off a question or statement the interveiwer asked during the question. Again, this shows engagement and attentiveness to what is being said.
    Good luck with the interview. From your original post it sounds like you have done well with your class. Keep that in mind and you will be fine.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 12, 2011

Wear the suit!!! Also, don't wear cologne. I was on an interview panel recently and one of the candidates was wearing far too much cologne. It gave me an instand headache and I was irritable throughout the interview.

Yes, you'll be nervous, but try your best to smile.

Also, like someone else mentioned, have a couple of questions in mind that you can ask at the end of the interview.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.