Interview tips, advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs. McAuley, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Mrs. McAuley

Mrs. McAuley Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Hello All,

Not to bore you with the details, I have 2 years experience being an assistant teacher in a day care and then a early learning center in the pre-k room..
    I am now living in the UK and am taking my CDA through distance learning, so upon returning to the US I can get certified and have all the course work done already..
    While I am here I'm trying to get an unqualified assistant teacher job, so I can continue gaining experience whilst learning.
    In general, what are some tips for an interview?
    I was thinking of brining my official class pic w/ my old class, as well as a binder I have with printables, art activities and sample lesson plans. I also have reference letters from the Director and parents I used to babysit for (not affiliated w/ the center).
    Do you think it may also me worth taking along some of the kid books I have and educational toys (jacobs ladder, match cards, puzzle..things like that).. or would that be over kill?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

I'd skip on the educational toys for now...definitely bring your binder and reference letters.

Also, just a little reminder...eye contact is most beneficial.
    Good luck! :love:

4. imat

imat Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

I sit in on interviews about five times a year for our child development program of 58 plus and growing of teacher and assistant teachers. The main thing we all look for is that you are talking to the question. Eye contact, smile and enjoy being there even though you are nervous. Remember that if they ask you at the end if you have anything to add always sell yourself! We ask this question every time and hope to get an answer but most of the time we do not. :unsure: This really helps us in making a final decision.

Good Luck!:2up:

Tami
    Kids World Exploration