Interview Thursday! What to Bring?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Sagette, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Nov 30, 2009

Interview Thursday! What to Bring? Update

I will have extra copies of my resume and references and my portfolio.
    Am I missing anything?

This is my first interview outside the district I've been working in since graduating so I'm really nervous :)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 30, 2009

Bring your enthusiasm and passion for this profession.

4. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 30, 2009

Congrats on getting an interview!! That's all I brought with me on my interview...along with czacza's advice:) They were much more interested in what I had to say, rather than what I brought (with the exception of exceptional student work). Good luck and try your best not to stress:)

5. FKS

FKS New Member

Nov 30, 2009

I agree with the other teachers; just be yourself and you can't go wrong. I also second bringing good examples of student work.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2009

I think what you're bringing is enough. If there's anything else you already have that can help you sell yourself bring it, if not I wouldn't worry about anything else. Good luck!

7. samcat

samcat New Member

Dec 2, 2009

Congrats and good luck!
    If you're portolio doesnt include it already, you should take some of your best lesson plans, too. This will help to illustrate your teaching philosophy.

8. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 3, 2009

I had an interview today as well and they didn't ask to see anything. In the past one other time I didn't get asked either. Do you offer? I was told before that you shouldn't offer. Maybe during a second interview they would like to see the portfolio. I hate interviews!!!

9. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Dec 3, 2009

Well, it wasn't the best interview ever :( I stumbled a bit in the beginning over my own introduction :rolleyes: But in the bright side, it was my first real panel interview and now I know what to expect.

I wouldn't worry so much about the portfolio, I referenced it once when talking about Marie Clay, but other than that, no one asked to see it. So I'll continue to bring it, but I know to worry less about that and focus more on practice answering questions without stumbling.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 3, 2009

Sagette-I'm sorry it didn't go great. Hopefully, you got a lot of good information in there, though. So much of the time I have a hard time with the "tell me about yourself question." No matter how much I practice it, my nerves at the beginning of the interview cause me to have problems with it.

11. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Dec 6, 2009

I agree with the "tell me about yourself question!" This is so funny considering that we can't get this question wrong. hahah I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish we could just tape one interview and send it to employers haha Would be soo much easier than going through the process over and over again.

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2009

Do you have any photos??? Pictures of you in your previous school setting, etc...will show let them see you in action. :)

13. groisamomma

groisamomma Rookie

Dec 6, 2009

I've never applied in a school district before (I'm teaching private school for 9 years). What are some things to include in my portfolio?

I know this will sound weird, but I've never had to draw up a formal lesson plan for math; the only lesson plans I submitted were very short synapses in my daily lesson plan book. For my M.Ed. program, I had to do two of those long ones, though. Do you need to do them for every single day's lesson for every single class?

I find that hard to believe; it took me almost two hours to complete the lesson plan for college! How is there time to teach the lesson?

14. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I do have a section of pictures, but even when I referenced my portfolio, no one has ever asked to see it :( I tought I was doing something wrong, but this has been the case for many of my colleagues as well.

15. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I have in my portfolio:
    Table of contents
    Philosophy of Education
    Cetificates
    Transcripts
    Copies of Lesson Plans (plans that I actually did in the classroom and are realistic) with some samples of student work
    FBA
    IRI
    Classroom and Student Photos scrapbook style

I was told that I had too much stuff in mine and so I took quite a bit out when I interviewed. I know this isn't what I'm supposed to say, but I really wouldn't spend so much time on the portfolio. I would spend the time researching the district you are interviewing at and practicing interview questions. I wish I had done this :(

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2009

I don't think it would hurt to add some pictures of you in action or perhaps working on a unit or theme. You can get some inexpensive think booklets at several photo shops. I think it's just nice to have just in case.
    Let us know how your interview goes! :)