Interview Thursday w/ Tutoring Company!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StudentTeach, Feb 28, 2011.

1. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Feb 28, 2011

As many of you know I only teach .5, so I've been looking for another part time job. I applied to an opening at a tutoring center about 25 minutes away (you know the ones like Sylvan, Huntington, etc.) and got a call today that they want me for an interview! I'm excited but I'm not sure what kinds of questions they will ask since I've only interviewed with school districts who ask about things like classroom management, so on and so forth. Has anyone worked for a tutoring company? What was it like? Do you remember what they asked you?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

Similar to a classroom....how do you build rapport, how do you manage the kids (especially the ones that have the children sit around the teacher), how will you keep all the students working....

4. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Mar 4, 2011

I worked for Sylvan...my interview was more about what hours could I work. The pay wasn't great. I made alot more doing tutoring for a private company.

5. shouts

shouts Companion

Mar 8, 2011

They are AWFUL! They charge 75 or more an hour so they can pay you 10-12 - while working with 2 - 4 children simultaneously!

I am seriously thinking about starting my own tutoring company. Those places aren't usually run by real teachers, and somebody is making a lot of money off of unsuspecting parents.

The curriculums and assessments are a joke, but they sell them well.

6. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Mar 8, 2011

They only pay $12 an hour... I'm going to have to pass on this one. It's not close enough for it to be worth all the stress.