Interview suits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WaterfallLady, Dec 26, 2013.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2013

I'm moving, so I'm going to need to interview for jobs for the next school year. That means I will need to get an interview suit. I am a woman, kind of petite, and I have no sense of style. I need to find a store that will walk me through every part of the outfit. My fiance goes to Men's Wearhouse for that. I obviously can't. Where can I go?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 26, 2013

Many high-end department stores have personal shoppers.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2013

Like Macys? Or are we talking so high end that I've never uttered their names?

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 26, 2013

I know Dillard's has a shopping service, and they are similar to Macy's.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 26, 2013

Take a fashionable friend shopping with you. That would help, too.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 26, 2013

None of my friends have great personal style. The ones that do don't understand what is needed for a professional interview suit.

I checked Macys and the nearest mall that offers personal shoppers is 2.5 hours away. I can't find any info. about Dillards but I will try calling them Monday. If only I could rent a fashionista.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 26, 2013

I'm the "on call" person in my circle of friends who need fashion advice. I love clothes and love to shop.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 26, 2013

I think you're overthinking this. Go to any store that sells women's clothing that is higher-scale than Walmart, and SOMEBODY will be able to help you out.

10. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Dec 26, 2013

Ann Taylor has great sales, and the associates would help you. You can't go wrong with a basic black suit, with a colorful shell or blouse underneath.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 26, 2013

I went to Ann Taylor with my mom the other day and the sales associates were more than eager to assist. She didn't need any help whatsoever (as far as matching/coordinating), but if she did, that would be the place to go.

The main reason she shops there is that they have clothes for petite women. She's barely 5 feet tall!

My advice would be to ASK! I think most stores will be willing to help you out.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 26, 2013

I purchased my suit from The Limited.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 27, 2013

I shop at some medium priced stores. They are all happy to help.

14. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Dec 27, 2013

You can find something at most larger mall stores. I have some suits from LeSuit and Kasper.(I think they are in the same brand.) They sell them at Carson's, Macy's, etc. Good luck.

15. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Dec 27, 2013

I bought my interview suit at New York and Company.

16. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2013

I always buy suits (and everything else) from talbots. They have excellent sales associates and a wide variety of sizes in their bigger stores. Very classic, so they won't soon go out of style.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

I followed this idea - I got a basic black suit at Macy's, and then a colorful blouse to wear under it at LOFT. I don't really like being helped by the salespeople, so this worked well for me.

18. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Dec 27, 2013

Banana Republic Outlet

I don't know if you have any outlet malls near you, but I have one about 45 minutes away and love to shop at the Banana Republic and Ann Taylor outlets, specifically their petite section.

I was just there yesterday and got a nice two-piece suit at BR for right at $100. To give you an idea I'm 4'10" and wear size 00S and it's hard to find those sizes.

So, I would check to see if you have any outlets in driving distance, and maybe call them first to see if they have your sizes in stock!

19. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2013

Good idea. The Ann Taylor Outlet and Banana Republic Outlet are right by each other. It's a drive. Is the customer service as good at the outlet? Luckily, I'm not too petite. Just some of the department store sizes start too big. All the stores people mentioned should be fine. I'm not sure about Talbots but I think there is one on the way to the outlet.

20. flewthecoop

flewthecoop Rookie

Dec 27, 2013

Ann taylor or dillards. I've done probably close to 100 interviews from jobs to competing in the miss america org. With a suit jacket, it should be fitted, but not tight enough it won't button, and should hit at the top of your hips or lower waist. It should also indent with your natural curve of your waist. Pants are okay to wear, I prefer skirts myself. If you do wear hose they should be a matte nude to match your exact skin color (victorias secret), and pumps to compliment your suit color (preferrably black all the way). Nude pumps are also in style and would look good with a skirt. Your heel should be between 2-2.5 inches or you can wear some nice pointed toe flats. Always wear closed toed shoes to an interview. A nice undershirt to compliment your skin tone and the suit should be worn, go with a solid color. Add a nice statement necklace or some stud earrings and you will look put together without being overdone. You could also look for a nice dress with thick material and put a blazer over it. Your makeup if you wear any should be something you wear everyday. Avoid heavy perfume. For nail polish if you wear it, go with a nude color that doesn't stand out. Pinterest should have some good ideas if you want to browse. Good luck!

21. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2013

Great advice! Anything different if you are interviewing in a more conservative area?

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

That is so true! I was shopping last winter, trying to decide if I should try a couple of dresses on. Someone's husband told me no on one of them. :lol:

23. flewthecoop

flewthecoop Rookie

Dec 28, 2013

In a more conservative area I would definitely choose an all black suit with a skirt. Hose aren't really "in" anymore but i would choose to wear a pair for this type of interview. A plain button down shirt of any color would look good under. I forgot to write the first time that your skirt should hit just above your knee caps. I don't think age matters for that rule, I do think that length and fit pull you together. Make sure whatever you choose you feel comfortable in. I think a small heel with a skirt gives you better posture and I wouldn't wear flats with a skirt to an interview- whatever you choose remember closed toe. Nude listick and polish are a good way to go. Don't hesitate to spend a little extra on your suit (ps I got one at dillards for about 50 when the original price was 200). I've been able to throw on the jacket with black pants and wear it to work and I've also worn my skirt with nice tops.

24. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Dec 28, 2013

I bought my suit at Banana Republic (I got the jacket, pants, and skirt). I bought it when they were doing a 40% off sale. It's black, very conservative, and classic. I bought a couple of solid color button down shirts (light pink and light blue) to go with it. The skirt hits below the knee, and i always wear hose because I think it makes the outfit look more "put together." I got some nice, short heels with a pointed toe from Nine West. I had a lot of issues personally when I was trying to find a suit I could wear to interviews at department stores because they all seemed so frilly. Plus I felt like the sales associates at BR really helped me find a proper fit.