Interview Rescheduling

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SSteacher1215, May 12, 2015.

1. SSteacher1215

SSteacher1215 New Member

May 12, 2015

Hi Everyone!

I have a quick question or need some advice. I recently applied for a position at the school I student taught at. They are holding an interview on a specific date for all candidates. However, I will be out of town that week. How do I go about rescheduling and can I even ask to be rescheduled or is this rude? Please help!

3. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

May 12, 2015

You can (very politely) ask if there's any way to arrange a phone interview or set up an interview on another date. They may be able to accommodate you- I was able to arrange something similar once.

If not, though, you'll have to decided if you really want the interview enough to change your plans (if you can).

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 12, 2015

They may accommodate you and they may not - sorry to say. I got called for an interview a few years ago that was the same week I was going on a cruise paid for by my mother. I couldn't come back early from a cruise and I couldn't tell my mother I couldn't go when she'd paid for it months ago. They told me they'd try to reschedule but I never heard back. Hopefully, you will have more luck.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 12, 2015

Here's how it works in my district:

Personnel (HR) emails to ask when I'm available to sit on an interview panel. I give them days/times that I'm free. Then, they set up interviews based on my availability.

Unfortunately, if someone can't make it on that particular day/time, they're outta luck. :(

6. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

May 12, 2015

Yeah, if you want the job then I would try to change your plans. A lot of places are really stuck doing these interviews on one day so that the interview team can stay in tact.

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 12, 2015

In my district, you would be out of luck if you could not meet when the interview team convened. I would suggest that you try to change your plans.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 13, 2015

I realize that you may not be able to change your plans. Plan A would be to ask if you can reschedule. Plan B would be to move forward and congratulate yourself that you made it to the interview stage. That means that your cover letter and resume must be effective so you may have to continue applying elsewhere.

9. SSteacher1215

SSteacher1215 New Member

May 13, 2015

Thank you for all your help. The trip was planned months in advance and out of the country. I will try and ask to be rescheduled. It is the week of Memorial Day when people w.usually go on vacation. Hopefully they are able to reschedule.