Interview Questions

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Alyssa29, May 23, 2005.

1. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

May 23, 2005

Can anyone help me with the answers to these questions? I have an interview on Wednesday for a 1st grade position.

1. What ways do you evaluate the learning that students have aquired?
    2. How do you motivate students?
    3. What steps do you take to assess a child's knowledge when the student arrives well into the school year?
    4. What do you see as the most critical element in a successful teacher?
    5. What strategies would you employ with the 'low-motivated' student?

I would appreciate any help. I'm trying to go over question that might be asked so I can be prepared. I would really like this positon.

Alyssa

3. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

May 27, 2005

I think you should just answer the questions to the best of your ability. be positive and energetic... Most importantly be yourslef. I just got hired for first grade, it's very exciting!

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 27, 2005

1. tests, projects, oral presentations, class discussions, journals, teacher observation, etc....

2. give them instruction at their level and use a variety of teaching strategies, teach to the senses, use incentive programs, give lots of positive feedback, make connections between the material and their own realities, etc...

3. observation, contact previous teacher, speak with student, diagnostics test, view reports received by student througout the year, etc....

4. being in tune with students' needs and varying strategies to provide for those needs as they change and evlove, positive classroom management and clear and consistent expectations...

5. Don't overwhelm them with too much too soon (small chunks of info), give them opportunities to shine, provide lots of positive feedback, give them incentives to succeed...

Hope some of this helped. It's just a few things off the top of my head. If you have a professional portfolio, use it in answering your questions if you can. In my area, they give the questions to you about 15 min before the interview so that you know what you are going into and can somewhat prepared. In my last interview, the principal told me (after the fact as he was giving me much appreciated feedback on the interview) that I could have marked the pages of my portfolio that supported my answers and as I was answering the questions, I could have opened my portfolio to show the relevant material pertaining to my answers and the question (It was my first interview as a qualfied teacher and I had no idea how to bring up my portfolio in the interview, therefore I had it with me but didn't use it - now I know).

Good luck! Let us know how you did.

5. kellysue

kellysue New Member

May 27, 2005

If you feel comfortable using these statements, this is what they want to hear:
    1. I will use running records, observation, checklists, and work samples to assess.
    2. I try to teach in a fun way. I don't just teach them to read; I try to find a book the child is interested in and will hold his attention. When learning is fun, the children are motivated.
    3. The observation survey by Marie Clay (who is the founder of Reading Recovery) is an excellent assessment tool for any time of the school year. It will provide me with ample clues in all literacy parts.
    4.the most critical element in a successful teacher would certainly include flexibility. She must be able to drop what she planned and follow the child/children/surprise visitor etc.
    5. Referto #2 above. Also, low motivation is usually connected to poor achievement. Find where the child's strengths and weaknesses are and where to take the child next. If the child is not stressed over being behind, he will take-off.

QUOTE=Alyssa29]Can anyone help me with the answers to these questions? I have an interview on Wednesday for a 1st grade position.

1. What ways do you evaluate the learning that students have aquired?
    2. How do you motivate students?
    3. What steps do you take to assess a child's knowledge when the student arrives well into the school year?
    4. What do you see as the most critical element in a successful teacher?
    5. What strategies would you employ with the 'low-motivated' student?

I would appreciate any help. I'm trying to go over question that might be asked so I can be prepared. I would really like this positon.

Alyssa[/QUOTE]

6. Alyssa29

Alyssa29 Rookie

May 28, 2005

Thanks for all the info. It really helps me see in what direction I need to go in when answering questions like these.

7. teach123

teach123 Cohort

May 28, 2005

One of the things I was told I should have mentioned in an interview was to collect data, graph the data, analyze the data, and use that to drive instruction for struggling learners. Our district is huge on that. The other thing I was told is that if you know how to use spreadsheets to graph data, you should mention it in the interview.

8. Looking...

Looking... Rookie

Jun 2, 2005

I've found that no matter how much I try to prepare for interviews by studying possible questions I might be asked, it never works out the way I planned. For example, the interview before last I studied typical behavior management, discipline, etc. type questions, and I was given scenario based questions. The interview I had two days ago went different as well. He spent a good 10 minutes staring at my resume, the same one I had given him over a week before. Then he spent the rest of the time talking about Madeline Hunter, Harry Wong, Erickson, and the difference between the TAAS and TAKS tests.

The best advice I can give you is to TRY to remain calm, believe that you are the best candidate for the job, and not attempt to memorize any answers to possible questions. The answers will come to you and they will probably be better than anything you had rehearsed.