Interview Questions Help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by megawinn, Aug 29, 2009.

1. megawinn

megawinn Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

I'm getting really frustrated with my job search. Sorry to vent, but I just graduated this April, knowing that the job market would be tough, but thinking that maybe I would get a job. I had interviews lined up before I even graduated and have had several this summer. I have had a couple of especially frustrating interviews. I had a great interview with one school, the principal went on and on about how great my interview was and how he really liked how enthusiastic I was. Then, he pulled the Social Studies Department Chair out of her class to introduce us, saying that I might be working with her soon. I left feeling like I pretty much had the job. A few days later, he called to let me know that I didn't but he was POSITIVE I would get a job soon. A few weeks later he called me back to let me know that another position had opened up in the school and that we wanted me to come back for "a little chat." He then had me meet the vice principal only to call me a few days later to turn me down again. It gets more frustrating though. I had the same thing happen at another school. I interviewed twice but this time I got rejected by a letter. I know I am a new teacher and don't have much experience but they have my resume and they know that before they call me in for these interviews. I must be doing something wrong in the interview process. I always show up 15 minutes early, dressed sharply and prepared with extra resumes and letters of recommendation. I must just have the wrong answers. Here are the question that I think trip me up:

Why should we hire you over the other applicants?

This one is difficult for me. Honestly, what I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm. I have wanted to teach since kindergarten when I lined up my stuffed animals and taught them in my bedroom. I am good at this and I LOVE it. I am the teacher who will come early, stay late, and always be happy at work. But I feel like principals get this answer too often. What else could I say?

How would you incorporate numeracy and literacy into your curriculum?

Well I feel like the literacy is pretty straightforward. Social Studies is all about reading and interpreting information, from primary documents to texts analyzing them. But numeracy??? HELP!

Those two are the most difficult interview questions I've had. I really want to teach. I've been substitute teaching this year but it's difficult to come to someone else's classroom and wish I had my own. I'm really hoping someone can help me out with my interviewing issues.

Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2009

Why should we hire you over the other applicants?

This one is difficult for me. Honestly, what I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm. I have wanted to teach since kindergarten when I lined up my stuffed animals and taught them in my bedroom. I am good at this and I LOVE it. I am the teacher who will come early, stay late, and always be happy at work. But I feel like principals get this answer too often. What else could I say Nowhere in your answer do you mention teaching any material. You imply that you'll be a happy teacher, and one who cares, but you don't mention results. Are you good at coming up with alternate explanations when the first one doesn't explain something well? Do you have a good sense of what's going on beyond your immediate personal space-- so important when someone at the other end of the room is fooling around. How did student teaching go?-- did the kids seem to understand what you taught? How about college-- did you learn any new methodologies that someone like me simply hasn't seen? How about interaction with parents-- what did you do there?? Technology use-- can you use whatever is available to help kids learn??? How about standardized testing-- do you have any experience there??

As much as a principal wants a happy dedicated employee, he probably NEEDS one who can get him results.

How would you incorporate numeracy and literacy into your curriculum?

Well I feel like the literacy is pretty straightforward. Social Studies is all about reading and interpreting information, from primary documents to texts analyzing them. But numeracy??? HELP!

As a math teacher and a mom, I've got to tell you: education is ALL about literacy. An adult with no math sense can still function (albeit poorly) in society. But an adult who can't read well can't apply for a job or hold one down. And one who can't write well is in deep trouble. Colleges are constantly complaining that we're graduating a generation of kids who can't read or write effectively, and that they have to give non-credit classes in an attempt to get them caught up. Lieteracy is so much more than reading the texts and the documents, it's about comprehending what you read and about being able to convey that information to another person.

Ask any politician, and he or she will tell you how easy it is to lie with statistics. A general proclaming a mere 5% casualty rate sounds like he's had a good day. But show those same 200 body bags arriving at Andrews Airforce base, and you have a different picture entirely. Look at the Vietnam war-- the first war on TV, as opposed to Korea just a few years before. All of a sudden all those casualty numbers became real people, and the reaction to the war changed sharply. In my own classes, I've seen that a lot of kids have trouble visualizing numbers. Talk about the deficit or the trade imbalance with China... the numbers are so big that they become meaningless. Lots of kids have trouble figuring out how many zeros are in a billion But explain it in terms of how many long a billion minutes is, and it suddenly becomes real.

Does that help at all???