interview questions from this morning

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jun 19, 2014.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 19, 2014

I interviewed at a top school district this morning. I did screw up on two questions but overall it was my best interview yet because for some reason I wasn't nervous. They were very nice which helped. I know that I don't have a chance at this district but I'm using this experience to help guide me on what I need to improve on and for giving me some boost of confidence in future interviews.

The questions were:
    Interview questions from my interview this morning:
    1. Tell us about your background/training and why you want to work in this district.
    2. What is your favorite thing about teaching at the elementary level?
    3. Tell us about the most difficult experience you went through in teaching.
    4. How do you a handle a student who is difficult behavioral wise?
    5. What do you think the biggest challenge facing a 5th grader in reading?
    6. Describe a typical 5th grader?
    7. How do you communicate with parents to keep them updated with everything that is going on with students/academics?
    8. What is project-based learning to you?
    9. Besides tests and quizzes, how else do you assess students learning and how do you use this to assess your teaching/lessons?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

3. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Thank you so much for posting!!! This is a great tool!! May I ask which questions you had a bit of an issue with? In past interviews, there have always been 1-2 questions that I didn't quite nail. I see two that you have listed that are similar to ones that I have had a problem with.

4. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 19, 2014

I went blank on the what is project-based learning (probably one of the easiest). I kept apologizing because I couldn't pull my words together. I don't even know what I said. Also, the one on describing the 5th grader/ what issues 5th graders would have in reading. I was thrown off with that one. I didn't know what to say. At the beginning of the interview they said they had 2 5th grade positions opened so that's probably why they wanted me to answer that.

5. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jun 19, 2014

Yeah..I was looking at that question about 5th graders and reading and I couldn't even really think of anything either. I know I would have struggled trying to put something together without having to ask them to be more specific. To me a question like that could apply to any grade level..I don't know. It seems crazy, yes I have a master's and I did extremely well in all of my content classes for elementary ed, but for some reason language arts is not my strongest subject to teach. I was great at L.A. when I was in school, but teaching it is a different story. Whereas math was my worst subject in school, but I love teaching it lol!

6. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

Would a good answer be fluency might be an issue which would then affect comprehension? And maybe another problem would be getting them interested in reading?

7. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 20, 2014

I mumbled something at first....maybe something about not pronouncing words...something ridiculous.I think I ended up with something along with them not being motivated.