Interview questions about Common Core and other new topics?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MacGuffin, Mar 31, 2015.

1. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Mar 31, 2015

I haven't taught in over 3 years and am now back in the market. I've probably had close to 100 interviews over the years and know all the old standard questions, but needless to say I'm a bit out of the loop for things like Common Core, and any other hot topics that have popped up the last few years. So was just looking for recommendations of where I should best spend my minimal time to get hip to any new lingo or programs these days, so I don't sound completely out of the loop. Thanks.

3. teachinIA4137

teachinIA4137 Rookie

Mar 31, 2015

Well you can start with the Common Core website. They have a lot of "What is Common Core?" pages and whatnot. I assume California may have their own set of state standards? Look on their website (just google California Core and see if it pops up). In my state the standards are attached to the DOE website. My state even has a link that says "Core for Parents" which I have found helpful to refresh for interviews in "simple" lingo.

Also, I don't know if this is NEW, but RTI and MTSS seem to be all any school talks about when they mentioned DI, as well as most districts in my area are huge on the Daily 5 for daily literacy. The D5 also has a math component, which I like as a way to format a long math period.

4. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Apr 1, 2015

OK thanks, hopefully that should bring me back up to speed enough so I don't sound completely foolish when it comes up.

5. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Apr 1, 2015

I've been out of teaching for 5 years. In the interviews I've been on this past year, I haven't been asked about the Common Core. I noticed that the newer things that they've asked me about are: differentiated instruction (like how do you differentiate instruction, such as reading, etc.) as well as what is project based learning. Good luck to you! It's a tough field to get back into! I'm to the point of just giving up! It's so frustrating!

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Apr 1, 2015

I have been on two interviews so far this hiring season. One school just told me they are looking for someone who knows about Common Core, but did not ask me anything about it. The second school only asked me if I knew about the standards.

The Common Core site is definitely a great place to start. I know there is also information about Common Core on the Teaching Channel website.

7. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Apr 6, 2015

Thanks for the tips. Not sure how it would even be possible to teach without "differentiated instruction." Is there a classroom somewhere in the world where you can go with "one size fits all?"

8. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Apr 17, 2015

Thanks again, just an update - You were spot on, where did this RTI thing come from? It has already come up about 3 times! When I last taught I'd never heard the term. And yeah, differentiation has always been around, but they seem to want to really stress it and get 'scientific' about it now.