Interview Questions (2012)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CCinIL, Apr 20, 2012.

1. CCinIL

CCinIL Rookie

Apr 20, 2012

I had my first interview ever on Wednesday. I think it went well but haven't heard back yet, so we'll see. It was for a HS foreign language job. Here are the questions I remember (all in all it was 45 minutes or so long)
    1. Tell us something about yourself we couldn't see in your resume
    2. Tell us about your student teaching experience
    3. What does your classroom look like?
    4. How would you motivate an unmotivated student?
    5. How would you motivate an unmotivated class?
    6. How do you incorporate technology into the classroom
    7. Would you be open to accompanying school trips abroad?
    8. What is your teaching style?
    9. What do you do to encourage students to speak?
    10. 3 words your students would use to describe you
    11. 3 words your colleagues would use to describe you
    12. Do you have any questions for us?

I know there were a few more, but it all seems like a blur now! They also asked me several questions in the target language, obviously to test that I really was fluent. There were 6 interviewers total- intimidating! No matter what, it was good practice for my next interview in 10 days!

3. FallingUp

FallingUp New Member

Apr 26, 2012

This type of question is for people who have previous teaching experience or similar experience.

Interview Question: How did you like teaching (blah)?

I'm never sure how to correctly answer this question. I liked it? Loved it? What do you think the interviewer is looking for when asking this question?

4. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

I had a written question that asked:

What steps would you take to deal with the behavioral issue of a student refusing to do work? When would it be appropriate to involve the administration in this issue?

I was also asked about the common core, and my feelings on the changes.
    What makes a successful team?
    What will you bring to our school and community?

5. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

May 1, 2012

Would anyone be able to send me copies of the notecards txteach2b has been providing? I PM'd her last week to attempt to get a file. However, she hasn't been online since 4/25.

Thank you!

6. michyjane

michyjane Rookie

May 14, 2012

I had an interview today for a huge school district in Houston.
    I want to teach secondary science.

1-Tell me about yourself
    2-How would you motivate students?
    3-If your class was failing what would you do?
    4-Describe a lesson you would carry out.
    4-Are you familiar with Bloom's Taxonomy? How would you use Bloom's Taxonomy?
    5-How would you differentiate instruction?
    6-What are your strengths - what are your weaknesses?
    7-What is your classroom management plan?
    8-What is your discipline plan? How would you handle disruptive students?
    9-What would a student in your class learn besides content?
    10-Our district is diverse. How would you handle this?
    11-How would you meet the needs of special education students in your class?
    12-Do a self-assessment. What are you best at.
    13-How do you feel about being a team player?
    14-Describe an effective teacher.
    15-Do you have any questions for me.

Pretty basic teacher interview. It was my first one ever, but thanks to this website.......I was able to fully prepare myself to answer the questions.

Hope this list of questions helps another candidate.
    Let me know if you have any other questions!

Good Luck.

7. teachintn2

teachintn2 New Member

May 28, 2012

I am living in Nashville and have had 3 interviews so far and have not gotten any of the positions. I am trying to get the word document that someone mentioned from past questions but I am unable to send a pm, any advice. I am copying and pasting various questions but have been doing this for a while. thanks

8. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 5, 2012

I have been on two interviews this year and each interview asked about incorporating literacy into the curriculum, (one interview was for special ed and the other was for ss). Also, classroom management is always a given. Unfortunately, I am horrible at interviewing, i get so nervous i dont know why! Has anyone brought or created a visual that they display (almost like a portfolio) to help support their answers? I practice and practice but i just freeze i guess.

9. Minpinxoxo

Minpinxoxo Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I had an interview today and I am so glad I prepared myself. I actually over-prepared which is a good thing.

From what I can remember these are a few of the questions I was asked:

1-Why do you want to be a teacher?
    2-Tell me about yourself, why should I hire you?
    3-How comfortable are you with using technology in the classroom?
    3-What kind of student were you?
    4-What was your coursework like in college? What did you cover? (my degree is in History not in education so I think she wanted to know more or less what I covered in college and what my knowledge base was)

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

Some questions I've encountered so far (in addition to many that have already been listed):

1) Describe one of your most frustrating experiences with a student and how you handled it.
    2) Tell us about the most frustrating experience you've had with a coworker.
    3) 5 words you would use to describe yourself.

There is also one district that ends every interview with this:
    "If you are offered a job with District X, will you accept it?"

That would seem like a no-brainer at first glance, but I can't help worrying about answering "Yes" to that question, then either getting the same question from a different district (hasn't happened yet) or another offer from a different district. According to committee members, they are obligated to ask that question by the School Board, so I think they understand the reality that the candidate will obviously say "Yes", but might say "No" when an offer is actually made if a better or earlier offer has already been made.

11. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember all of my interview questions from the school that hired me, but I'll just list what comes to mind.

1. How available are you outside of school? Do you have any other commitments?
    2. How do you differentiate reading instruction?
    3. How do you differentiate writing instruction?
    4. How do you differentiate instruction for high-level learners?
    5. In general, how do you motivate students?
    6. How do you motivate reluctant readers to read?
    7. What is your classroom management philosophy and style like?
    8. What do you expect from the administration? From your team members?
    9. How do you plan lessons/units?
    10. How do you integrate other subjects into your lessons?
    11. How late are you willing to stay each day?
    12. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses?
    13. How would you run your classroom on the first day of school?
    14. How do you communicate with parents?
    15. How do your students use technology in your classroom?
    16. How do I assess student learning? How often do I assess student learning?
    17. How do you handle disruptive students? How often do you refer students to the office?
    18. Do you believe in using data to drive instruction?
    19. What is your favorite book? What are your hobbies/interests?
    20. Are you familiar with creating and maintaining a website for your class?
    21. Fairness or equality?
    22. Why do you want to work at this school?
    23. Where do you live? Do you like to travel?
    24. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
    25. Why did you become a teacher?
    26. Have you ever taken students on a field trip? What was that experience like? How did you ensure it was an educational experience?
    27. How do you seek out opportunities for professional development?
    28. How do you use inquiry with your students?
    29. How do you incorporate Bloom's Taxonomy into your lessons?
    30. Which educational theorist do you most identify with and why?
    31. What are your expectations of parents?
    32. We often partner with local colleges. Would you be comfortable being observed by outsiders?
    33. What time do you typically go to bed? What time do you usually wake up?

That's all I can remember for now! Sorry for all the questions...it was a 3 hour interview!

12. miskenzie

miskenzie Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

That's all I can remember for now! Sorry for all the questions...it was a 3 hour interview![/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of the questions!

But I don't envy you for going through that!

13. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 13, 2012

Haha! You are welcome. Although the interview was long, it was worth it in the end! :D

14. SandyMandy

SandyMandy Rookie

Jun 19, 2012

Hi there, I have been reading the posts here for a couple of years and finally signed up for an account!

I'm a career changer and I've taught on temporary contracts or as a LTS for the past three years. I've never interviewed before because I've always been asked to teach at the schools where I've subbed.

Here are some questions I remember from my interview this morning:

1. Tell us about yourself.
    2. What grade level do you prefer?
    3. How do you assess student performance?
    4. What three words would your principal use to describe you?
    5. How would you teach the main idea?
    6. Describe a lesson that didn't go well.
    7. Tell us about a difficult student and how you managed the situation.

There were a few other questions that I can't remember and then I had the chance to ask some questions of my own. It was 30 minutes and with the principal and assistant principal.

What I'm finding out is that what's advertised isn't necessarily what is available. This school had four openings listed, but there were actually only two available and they were at different grade levels than what was stated on the district website. I think the only reason I even got an interview is because I emailed the principal a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how I did, but it was good practice.

15. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jun 19, 2012

Three words (and only three) that describe you.

I used two and one hyphenated word that I asked if I could use prior to using it.

16. dream2bateach

dream2bateach Rookie

Jun 21, 2012

Alright, so I just got back from an interview for a special education teaching position. Since all of my interviews have been for special education positions, these questions are geared more towards that area. However, their may be some questions in here that could be geared towards all areas of education, as well.

--Have you written an IEP before?

**Since I haven't, I said that IEP writing was not addressed in the curriculum at my university, but that I've been working on developing IEP writing skills on my own.

--Being a male teacher, how would you handle a female high school student coming on to you? **This one threw me for a loop. Didn't know the best way to answer this. I basically just said that I would just take her aside and tell her what she was doing is wrong and why it's wrong.

--There's a student in your class who is cussing you out and won't do his work, how do you handle it?

**I said it's best not to escalate the situation, but to take him or her aside at a later time and speak with him one on one. Tell him why what he did was wrong and that he will not get out of doing the assignment.

--One common questions that's been asked in all of my interviews is how I would deal with colleagues.

**I always answer by saying that it's important to work as a team and to have great communication with each other.

--How would you deal with a parent who has unrealistic expectations of their child.

**This one always throws me for a loop also. Anybody know what kind of answer their looking for? I always answer this by saying I would try to lay out alternative options for the student, such as vocational school or something like that, if I honestly don't think the student can go to college.

--Have you worked with parents before?

**Since I haven't, I just explain how I would work with parents. I stress things such as being diplomatic, caring, understanding and trying to understand their side of the story.

--What would your classroom look like?

**I try to tailor this answer to the type of disabilites I'd be working with. So, for example if I was told I'd be working with students with Autsim, I'd stress that my classroom would have lots of visual stimuli, manipulatives, things are labeled, furniture is arranged in a structured way, maybe low level lighting, things like that.

That's all I have for right now. I'm sure there will be more that come to mind and I will be sure to post.

17. TarHeelHannah

TarHeelHannah Rookie

Jun 22, 2012

I had an interview yesterday for a middle school science position. Here are some questions I can remember:

What would you do if you thought your students were getting off to a great start, getting the material, and then 5 weeks down the road, you realize you have a students completely failing and not getting any understanding of the content?

Tells us the types of technology you are familiar with and how would these be integrated in your lessons?

You would be working with a team of 4 teachers. What would you bring to the team and how would you work as a team?

Are you be familiar with Interdisciplinary units? Give us an example of an interdisciplinary unit and what science you could use.

(I am in a Master's program, hence the next questions)

What have you gained from pursuing your higher education?

Our work day runs from 7:20-4pm, and teachers are often responsible for gate duty (for sports games), conferences, meetings, and other requirements. How would you manage your time between your Master's classes and all of the demands of being a teacher.

What is one of your weaknesses?

What would you do if you were in the middle of your laboratory and all of your students are working diligently, and you see two students sitting in the backing chatting rather than up doing the assignment?

Would you be interested in doing any extracurricular activities?

Talk to us about a theory you find useful in a science classroom.

18. momto5boys

momto5boys Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

Three interview questions I hadn't heard before....

1) Are you a rock star teacher?
    2) It is raining. I tell you to go to the roof of the school. What do you do?
    3)You come down from the roof. I tell you to go back to the roof. Another teacher tells you that you don't have to do that. Your job doesn't require that. What do you do?

I answered with these responses:

1) If by rock star you mean enthusiastic, passionate, and will go out on a limb to motivate my students, then yes, I am a rock star.

2) As long as there isn't lightning and I am not carrying a metal umbrella, then yes.

3) There are levels of authority. I am the authority in my classroom. You (the principal) are my authority. I will do whatever you believe is necessary to make our school better, even it means standing on the roof in the rain.

Hope those responses got me the job!!! (fingers crossed)

19. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

wow i have no idea what i would say to those questions!! how interesting!! i think you gave good answers

20. SandyMandy

SandyMandy Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

I'll try to remember some of the questions from my interview that got me a job, not in the order they were asked though!

1. Tell me about yourself and how you came to be a teacher.
    2. Tell me about your subbing experiences.
    3. How have your experiences helped you prepare for an unexpected situation in the classroom?
    4. How do you use technology in the classroom?
    4. What is your grading philosophy?
    5. Have you ever had a difficult parent and how did you deal with that?
    6. What is your behavior plan?

The P. said she didn't need to ask me about how I would motivate an unmotivated student or what my strongest points are because it was apparent from my other answers.

21. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Jun 26, 2012

From a first-round interview for a history/psychology position:

1. Give a 30-second snapshot of who you are and why you are interested in this position and school.
    2. What are three words your colleagues would use to describe you and three words your students would use to describe you? Why?
    3. How does your race affect how you teach?
    4. What is one example of a topic that is often presented as a "single story"? How can you provide students with multiple perspectives on this topic?
    5. What is one concept that students found difficult to grasp? How did you adjust your teaching of this concept to help students to be able to understand it?
    6. Describe what you picture when you think of a model classroom.
    7. How do you use summative and formative assessments in your classroom?
    8. Describe the atmosphere of your classroom.
    9. Give an example of how you have engaged in collaboration with your colleagues.

22. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

What were 3 things you were unprepared for last year?

23. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 3, 2012

1. What would you do if your student cheated on a test?
    2. An aide needs lots of attention and positive reinforcement. How would you deal with this?
    3. How do you communicate with students?
    4. What do you think parents expect from teachers?
    5. If someone told you today's students are much worse than years ago, how would you respond?
    6. If a student asked, "Why do I have to learn this?", how would you respond?
    7. What behaviors reflect creating a good relationship with other staff?
    8. How would you motivate students?
    9. What are the parts of a lesson plan?
    10. What do you want to know about your students?

24. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Jul 7, 2012

1. Tell me about yourself.
    2. Why do you want to be a teacher?
    3. What would your classroom look like?
    4. What is your behavior management plan?
    5. You are teaching a lesson and all but one student understands the material. What would you do?
    6. How do feel about collaborating with other teachers?
    7. A parent comes into your classroom extremely upset. How do you handle the situation?
    8. What are your strengths?

25. Shandi

Shandi New Member

Jul 8, 2012

Some questions I remember from last weeks interviews...

Tell us about your professional background. (Both)
    Tell us about your experiences with FBA. (Both)
    What does your classroom look like? (Both)
    How do you communicate with parents? (MS ELA)
    How would you respond if we came into your class and students in the back row were not engaged in the lesson? (MS ELA)
    You are given an 8th grade curriculum, but your student reads at a first grade level. How do you teach the student? (HS ELA/MATH)
    A student gets up in the middle of class and runs around the classroom for attention. How do you respond? (HS ELA/MATH)

Wish I could remember more!

26. Gryphonic

Gryphonic New Member

Jul 11, 2012

What do you know of RTI?
    Have you ever written an IEP
    Do you know the difference between an annual IEP vs. a tri annual IEP?
    How do you build rapport with your colleagues?
    How do you approach co teaching?

This for for a RSP job at a middle/high school. And they hired me!

27. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 19, 2012

If you were hired here and many years down the road we were throwing your retirement party, what would you want your coworkers to be able to say about you? What would your past students say about you?

I thought I would post this one, because it really threw me. I answered incredibly awkwardly and I think that was one of the moments that cost me that position. I had a hard time suddenly conceptualizing what at the end of my career I would hope to have accomplished and how I would like to have changed the school as a whole.

28. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

I have to post some of the questions my director has been asking interviewees. I really don't think any other people would ask these questions, and they have been throwing the candidates for a loop.

1. What are the three most significant paradigmatic changes in human history?

2. What are the three most influential texts in human history?

3. If you could only teach three texts for the rest of your life, what would they be?

4. What is the relationship between wisdom and compassion?

He also drills them on content knowledge in a very rapid-fire way to make sure they know more than he does about social studies/English/what have you.

It is very uncomfortable to watch the ones who are unprepared crumple, but he's getting what he wants: people with solid content knowledge and a big-picture view of knowledge as chronological. He's moving us to a great books model like St. John's.

29. gofish

gofish New Member

Jul 24, 2012

I had an interview today for a high school science position that I did not get. I was asked about my philosophy on grading. For example, what grade would you give a student if they did no work during the semester and had an F grade going into the final but then got an A on the final. What would their final letter grade be? I did not have an answer for this.

30. Kaseta

Kaseta Rookie

Jul 24, 2012

Here are some of the questions I've remembered and written down after interviews. Most have been scenario type questions.

1. If you could sum up your educational philosophy, motto, or mission in one sentence what would it be.

2. You are presenting a unit on x subject. You feel this unit is one of the most successful, engaging lessons you have taught yet. You are pleased to have the principal observe. After the lesson he/she pulls you aside and informs you that he/she feels it does not align with the state standards. What do you do? How do you respond?

3. How do you make sure your lessons are meeting state standards?

4. What has been your most challenging situation as a teacher?

5. What is one thing you wish you hadn't done, mishandled, or regretted? How do you deal with the repercussions and/or fix the problem?

6. A student makes it obvious he or she does not like you or your teaching methods. Is this student teachable? How do you handle this student? Can you ever make this student respond positively? How?

7. What do you consider at-risk youth?

8. Should all students attend college? Why?

9. How do you feel about lesson planning? Do you create your own lessons? What are in your lesson plans (if you make them)?

10. What is burnout? What causes it? How can it be prevented?

11. If you could advise your new colleagues on how to manage stress, what would you say?

12. What was your most challenging lesson to teach?

13. What was your most challenging class? Why?

14. A student is becoming violent or unruly in your class during a debate gone awry. How do you handle it?

15. What do you feel your role is as an educator?

16. Is it possible to like all your students equally? Is having a favorite student(s) okay? What about those "bad" students every teacher talks about? Did you have any?

17. Students just aren't "getting" the content you're teaching. What do you do?

18. You have a student that shows up, but falls asleep in class everyday. Parents are apathetic, administration is swamped, student is failing. What should you or can you do?

19. You have a student that faints in class unexpectedly. How do you handle this? What if it keeps happening?

20. You have a co-worker who you suspect is acting unethically with students. What should you do? Should you tell your colleagues?

21. How do you feel about ESL programs? Do they have a place in our schools? Do they hurt or benefit the students involved? What about native English speakers, how are they impacted?

31. Skallagrimsson

Skallagrimsson Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

I had an interview today for a social science position, there were only 4 questions... they called it a screening interview.

Three were pretty predictable questions. Tech in the classroom, how to motivate students and what can you do to help outside of the classroom. The fourth caught me unprepared....

What is your experience with standards based grading and how does it effect your grade book?

32. polag

polag Rookie

Aug 9, 2012

Interview Questions

i know very well about group interview and i think that this is very difficult work and we can give a big opportunity to our peoples we can make different books published for our customers.

33. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 20, 2012

This is a little late, but here are the questions I was asked this year. I interviewed for 2 different positions. One was a math position and the other was a math/science position.

1) What courses or experiences will help you in this assignment?

2) What would you do with a student who:
    - Was struggling to finish class work or assignments?
    - A struggling student who did poorly on assignments but tested very well
    - A student who was consistently late because they were hanging out in the smoking area
    - A student with chronic poor attendance
    - A student with a short fuse who lost their temper and left class

3) How would you integrate technology into one of your science classes?

4) How would you assess a unit in your math class?

5) What would you do to help disengaged and/or disinterested students?

6) How would you promote literacy in your math class?

7) What makes you passionate about teaching?

8) How would you provide enrichment opportunities for your students?

9) How would you reach students with different learning styles?

34. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

You are definitely a rock star!!! I love these answers!!

35. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I really appreciate these questions as it helps me prepare for that time when I will interview. Having been in another career as a manager for many years, one thing that I think is missing here is that the interview works both ways. Realizing that jobs are tight, I also realize that working somewhere that is not philosphically on the same page as you are can be very tiring and very difficult. The interview process is an opportunity for you to assess the school/SD as much as it is about them assessing you as a candidate.

No one should care as much about your career as you do and I always appreciated interviewing candidates who demonstrated that to me...

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2012

I agree, Dr Kevlar-- the very best interviews DO work both ways. They're less an interrogation and more a conversation about something both parties enjoy discussing: education.

37. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 21, 2012

This is what I am trying to talk myself into as I prepare for tomorrow's interview! I am an intelligent, passionate, and caring educator and I am just going to meet with other people who feel as strongly about education that I do and have a discussion!!! So....why am I so nervous????

38. Dr Kevlar

Dr Kevlar Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

teacher36: You are nervous because you view this as sort of an "administration on top, get it over with quick" sort of exercise! With jobs in short supply the natural tendency is to view the interviewer as the person with the power - and they are. That does not mean (to me, anyway) that you have to be in reactive mode only.

If they do not like the idea of you asking THEM questions during the interview, what sort of atmosphere do you think will exist if you taught there?

39. serenity74

serenity74 Rookie

Sep 25, 2012

Great points Dr. Kevlar. I have an interview tomorrow and I will be fully prepared to interview the administration!

40. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 15, 2013

Here are the questions I was asked during my interview:
    - how would you set up a class in which you teach reading? (The job was for an English position, with a lot of struggling readers.)
    - what would you do with a student who is struggling and is discouraged with writing?
    - what would you do if a student said 'F... you' to your face?
    - what are your strengths?
    - what are your weaknesses?
    - do you have any questions?

41. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Feb 21, 2013

What techniques will you use to connect students’ prior knowledge, life experience, and interests with learning goals?