Interview Questions (2009)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AnonyMS, Mar 9, 2009.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

jjackson-I would elaborate more on those answers. Is there a particular story that happened that made you want to help kids? How would you use sports and real life situations to motivate students? How would you use technology and manipulatives to get results from your students?

2. jjackson224

jjackson224 Rookie

May 19, 2009

Why did you decide to become a teacher?

I enjoy the daily interaction with the students and I enjoy seeing students succeed and that smile on a students face after they make an “A” on a test.

What approaches do you utilize to motivate your students?

I use positive reinforcement as well relating as many lessons and activities to things that the students like, such as sports, shopping and many real life situations.

What specific teaching strategies do you use to achieve results with students?

I believe the students have to be able to SEE what is going on, by me modeling it. They actually have to TOUCH the activity involving manipulatives. They would have to DO the activity with worksheets. Lastly, ASSESSMENT to make sure the students understand what was being taught.

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

May 19, 2009

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

Does that help at all?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 19, 2009

It's been a billion years since I did a formal lesson plan, so my answer will probably be different than most.

I think a good lesson plan should:
    - remind students of the prior knowledge they need for today's lesson
    - include some sort of "hook" or real life application to pique their interest
    - increase in complexity as it goes on.
    - include a chance for students to practice new skills, with a variety of types of examples
    - be flexible, in the event of a fire drill, a blown projector bulb, or a class that has amnesia about yesterday's lesson
    - be easy to follow, in the event that the teacher is out and someone else has to teach the lesson
    - inlude a summary at the end
    - be appropriate to the time allotted to teach the lesson

6. jjackson224

jjackson224 Rookie

May 19, 2009

thank you..Here is what I have now. I am having the most trouble with the 2nd one.

Why did you decide to become a teacher?
    I started out working as a substitute teacher and I figured I would do that until I graduated from college. After subbing for the first year, I loved interacting with the kids on a daily basis. I then thought I could maybe be a teacher but was hesitant to make that commitment because I often heard horror stories from teachers about parents, grading and other stuff. But it came to me in my final semester of college and towards the end of my second year of substitute teaching. I took over a teaching position as a long term sub and then it all came to me when I actually started doing daily lessons that built off each other. After watching kids succeed and get excited over learning something new, that I taught them became very rewarding for me and I decided then I was going to be a teacher. It became a passion of mine because I knew I was making a difference to our future.

What approaches do you utilize to motivate your students?
    I use positive reinforcement as well relating as many lessons and activities to things that the students like, such as sports, shopping and many real life situations. I also get to know my students individually to determine what motivates them personally and I use that to help that child go farther.

What specific teaching strategies do you use to achieve results with students?
    SIOP is a lesson planning and teaching style I have been taught and I find it useful. I believe the students have to be able to SEE what is going on, by me modeling it. They actually have to TOUCH the activity involving manipulatives. They would have to DO the activity with worksheets. Lastly, ASSESSMENT to make sure the students understand what was being taught. It takes multiple strategies to reach the multiple learning styles I have in a classroom to ensure all students successfully understand the lesson.

7. jjackson224

jjackson224 Rookie

May 19, 2009

7th grade Math

8. jjackson224

jjackson224 Rookie

May 19, 2009

One last Question. WHY should we hire you?

9. smalltowngal

May 19, 2009

jjackson-this is the question where you need to reaffirm the qualities that make you the best teacher for the job...you're passion for teaching, experience in a particular program the district/school uses,etc.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

I would recommend one or two changes:

11. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 20, 2009

How do you challenge students?

12. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 20, 2009

13. teachertime

teachertime Companion

May 25, 2009

How would you answer this question?

A parent comes to you and complains, “What you are teaching isn't irrelevant to his needs.” How would you respond?

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 25, 2009

Isn't irrelevant? Did you mean isn't relevent?

15. teachertime

teachertime Companion

May 25, 2009

oops. I'm actually more interested in how to answer the question than if the question is worded correctly. One can understand the meaning. Thanks

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  16. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 25, 2009

Had these last week

Tell me about a time when you had to tell a parent something they did not like to hear.

Tell me about a time when you had to tell a coworker something they did not like to hear.

It's important to be both a leader and a follower. Tell me about a time when you were a follower.

17. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 25, 2009

You know, "tell me about a time" questions are hard! Does anyone else have a hard time thinking of a very specific situation on the spot??? Because I certainly do!

18. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 26, 2009

Questions from today's interview that I can remember....

*Tell Me About Yourself

*We are getting a new science curriculum/text next year, how will you use it?

*You have 50 minutes for reading, tell me what this time will look like

*We use the workshop model, what do you think of when you hear "workshop model"?

*What experience in diversity do you have?

*How do you build classroom community? EXT with time restraints?

*Parents are very involved and contact you by e-mail. What do you do if you get an e-mail from a parent about something they disagree with you about?

*The team meets once a week at a certain time. How will you build community with other teachers?

19. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 26, 2009

i think this is a really random question because it all depends on what student you're talking about so i think the answer would differ depending on the student...anyway i think i would discuss state and curriculum standards. if the parent felt their student wasnt beling challenged enough or was being too challenged I would discuss how i differentiate the instruction to amend that. also i would make sure to have examples of his work to provide.

20. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 26, 2009

i'm interested to hear your answer to some of these, especially the workshop and science curriculum question.

21. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 26, 2009

22. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 26, 2009

Hope that helps! I can give you my answers to the other ones if needed. =)

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 26, 2009

Thanks for posting your answers to those questions, MrsHoot!

24. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

May 26, 2009

Here's one that totally left me surprised:

What are your expectations for your special ed students?

I interviewed for (but didn't get) a position as a second grade inclusion teacher back in February. I had never been asked that question before, but I think I answered it pretty well. I basically said that, while I make accommodations for the students who require it, I have high expectations for all of my students. It's been a few months since the interview, so I definitely do not remember my exact answer and what else I added to it.

25. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

May 26, 2009

I like the high expectations part and I definetly would add something about them achieving their IEPs goals (as a start)!

26. dani0

dani0 Rookie

May 28, 2009

I would love to have that as well... Thank you! =)

27. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

28. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

Just google reading and writing workshop, you'll get plenty of info.

29. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

That was the same question I got on my screening interview today. Had no idea. Must google that ASAP. lol

I also had
    How do you involve ELL parents if they can not speak English. I was stumped a bit.

My answer: translate all take home documents, have parents participate in things that do not require them to come into the classroom if they want, work directly with a translator.
    I could not think of anything else.

30. UrbanTeacher180

UrbanTeacher180 New Member

Jun 9, 2009

Essay

Hi Everyone - I am new to the forum. The ELL question is difficult. I always ask my para to write a note home (in Spanish) every day in the student planners informing them of their child's behavior/homework etc.

I have a question - I am thinking of applying for a position outside my district and I am having trouble w/ the essay question:

'Please describe your best moment or time as a teacher and what does that best moment illustrate about your personality.'

I can define a few of my best moments - but how it illustrates my personality? Any ideas?

31. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jun 10, 2009

After much reflection over my DEVASTATING interview with the school I work in. I thought I would pass on this question because I'm not really sure what they want from my answer...

A child in your class is told to sit down. The child refuses and says "I don't have to." What do you do?

32. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

i think this is basically asking for an explanation of your discipline systme with an example. so you might say somehting about first giveing the child a warning and explainign that you have given a direction and he needs to folllow it. if the child still refuses then he will need to move his card to yellow (or whatever system you might use)

33. smalltowngal

Jun 10, 2009

I agree with rose that this is a chance to show your discipline system. Of course, it will be different for each teacher. I'd first politely ask again for the child to sit down. My system looks like this:

Verbal warning.
    Sign my discipline book (this is where I would turn to my discipline sheet in my portfolio so I could show them exactly what I'm talking about).
    Consequence developed by student and agreed on by the teacher
    Call to parent
    Referral to principal.

Every student follows this system, though the consequence will differ depending on what the student comes up with. And at the beginning of the year, the students are told the consequence has to fit the "crime" and that if they cannot come up with an appropriate consequence, then I come up with one for them.

34. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

I have a majority of EL parents in my class the last two years.
    I still invite them into the classroom to help. They usually know enough to understand what they can do to help you! :)

35. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Total ditto.

Before I discuss how I would respond to the student, I would begin by saying that I'm a firm believer that as long as it's not a distraction to the other students and it's safe, a student can stand, kneel, lean, etc. at their desk. Some students just can't sit. I even have times where I stand at a table or desk to work on something.

Now, if the student was distracting the other students or if the activity required the student to sit in his/her chair, I would give the student a warning and also given them a 30 second window of time to get seated. I may something like, "Billy, I'm going to help Sally for a minute and when I'm done, I expect you to be seated." If all you do is stand over them and wait for them to comply, it could turn into a real power struggle. When the window of time to comply has passed and if the student still is not seated, I would have them "refocus" by taking a time out/filling out a form stating the misbehavior and what they're going to do to fix the problem (basically what stg does with the discipline book). This idea is great because it provides you with instant documentation! If the student still does not comply after refocusing, they would receive a consequence. IMO, an appropriate consequence for this situation may include removal from the group they sit with. Part of sitting with a group involves respecting others while they're learning and if you're standing is distracting, you can't be part of the group anymore. I would have the student sit elsewhere in the classroom, alone for a bit. I would give them the opportunity to rejoin the group and the next consequence would be a phone call to their parent and finally, an office referral.

36. dani0

dani0 Rookie

Jun 10, 2009

Need some help with these questions:
    1)Describe the assessment techniques you will use to evaluate student learning.

2)Describe how you will promote sensitivity to racial, cultural, religious, and ethnic differences in your classroom.

Just not sure what the best way would be to answer...

37. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

Hi and Welcome!

I like this question because it gives you the chance to showcase what's different about you! Are you creative, funny, or good at thinking on your feet? Maybe try to think of the personality trait then the moment. One of my favorite moments teaching was with a student who transferred into my southern class from nyc and was behind in academics and probably in culture shock. I was working 1 on 1 with him and started sorted his word cards for spelling, -og family words: dawg, lawg, hawg and he cracked up laughing. I've used this story to illustrate I can think on my feet, have a good sense of humor and connect with students on a person level.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

38. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 10, 2009

I can one-up that one. I just went to an interview where the P actually said to me, "Tell us about yourself... and special education." I'm thinking in my head, "Jeesh lady... we don't have that kind of time." :lol:

39. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Describe the assessment techniques you will use to evaluate student learning.

To evaluate student learning, I use both informal and formal assessments from simple observations to checklists to formal assessments used school, district, and state-wide. The most useful strategy I use to assess student learning is to simply ask the students questions throughout the lesson or activity.

Describe how you will promote sensitivity to racial, cultural, religious, and ethnic differences in your classroom.

To promote a multi-cultural sensitive community, I would provide opportunities to learn about other cultures from bringing in guest speakers to showcasing books about other cultures, races, etc.

40. pete

pete New Member

Jun 13, 2009

My first interview in many years is on Tuesday. I am an ESL instructor applying for a Language Arts (7-8) position. I wondered about the following questions:

1. Describe motivational methods and skills that have helped you to become a better teacher.

2. What type of activities would you implement within your lessons to promote higher level learning skills?

3. Describe an innovative non-traditional teaching strategy that has been successful for you as an educator.

Thanks. You young teachers have the best ideas!! I am always "stealing" them from the classrooms I visit as an ESL instructor!!