Interview questions (2008)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lemonhead, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 25, 2008

Could your strength be a particular subject you really excel?

2. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 25, 2008

For my strength I normally say something about my ability to connect with the students and explain things in a way they understand.

~Briana~

3. Shannon1980

Shannon1980 Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

That's what I have said in the past that I have a great ability to establish a great repour with my students?

4. brittee

brittee Rookie

Apr 25, 2008

Here are some questions from my last interview:

-types of modifications and accomodations used
    -how to help struggling students
    -how do you use assessment mapping
    -information you would bring to an IAT to inform them about a struggling student
    -enrichment/differentiation

Those were some of the topics :) I hope this helps others!!

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 25, 2008

I’d say my greatest strength is that I can present information in a way where students can understand it. I am very good at bringing age appropriate, real life examples into the lesson and leading higher level thinking discussion, even on difficult information. I hear a lot of “Oh, now I get it!” when I teach. In fact, recently after subbing in a 5th grade class, I had a parent of a student approach me and comment how much her child got out of my industrial revolution lesson. She said her daughter came home and talked about how I explained it so it wasn’t so boring and that the material made sense to her.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2008

Ok just came back from a district job fair. Here are some of the questions I was asked:

1. What formal/informal assessments would you use to evaluate student success?

2. Describe how you would plan for your students' diversity.

3. What are some strategies that you use for Reading?

I was very comfortable with the answers I gave for all of them but #3. I think I answered it the right way because I described a balanced literacy program, Read Aloud where I model, Shared Reading, and Guided Reading.

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 26, 2008

Those are pretty good questions. Each one of them could leave someone with the deer-in-the-headlights look.

I bet you did great STG. I can't wait until you hear something:)

Lemon

8. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

A really difficult question I've been asked on more than one occasion is "How do you teach literacy in your classroom?"

For an elementary candidate, that's such an enormously broad question, since literacy is integrated into everything I do. I make sure to mention this in my answer, but the question makes me wonder what other people say when they're asked about this.

9. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

I teach literacy in my classroom using a balanced approach which includes modeling literacy during read alouds, practicing with shared reading, and then focusing on specific literacy skills in guided reading. Literacy is also taught using environmental print in the classroom, word walls words, and plenty of books of varying levels. Students also have book bags where they have several books they are reading or have read to build fluency.

10. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Nice answer STG!

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

STG, hope u don't mind but I'm saving your answer! :whistle:

12. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

I don't mind at all, Teachling!

Thank you, jw!

13. Shannon1980

Shannon1980 Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

How do you guys answer the "classroom management" question? I have been saying the same thing in my past interviews and I'm starting to question my answer?
    I have an interview tomorrow!

Q: How would you describe your classroom management?

14. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Your classroom management should be your philosophy and procedure. Also, it should include your classroom layout and organizational methods.

15. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

I always start out by stating that behaviors come up when a student is bored or doesn't understand so I make sure my lessons are student-centered and engaging the students. I also use strategies that require 100% participation. Students write down their answer to a question, as they write, I monitor, seeing who is getting it and who still needs some extra help.

Then I go into how the students and I develop the rules of the classroom and how we compare a great classroom to a not so good classroom and what we would see in each of them. And then go into philosophy of management (Harry Wong, Love&Logic)

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

I was having difficulty understand this since I am finding so much info & have not done this yet. Regarding procedure, do you outline certain rules/principles?

17. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

Or you could just talk about the importance of having procedures in place from day one. Explaining the procedure, modeling the procedure, and then having the students practice each procedure, and maybe role play correct and incorrect procedures and with the incorrect role play have the student discuss what should have been done.

18. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

I discuss my system, which for my 1st grade class was the "Red light, Green light" card system. I also, discuss with the class the rules & procedures and we practice them. My last district also used PBIS so I discuss how I incorporated a district plan into my classroom management program.

19. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

In case it helps anyone, here are the questions from my interview today:

How do you handle a student who is disrespectful to you?
    What do you know about Vygotsky?
    How do you know how long to spend on your objectives?
    How do you know what to teach?
    How do you know when a student "got" it?
    What do you do with a student who doesn't "get" it?
    Have you worked with Pacing Guides or Curriculum Maps?
    As a new teacher, how long of an adjustment period will you need before you start contributing to the school and faculty in general? What will you do at that point?
    What math theorists and reading theorists are you familiar with and what can you tell me about them?

20. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Chuck...what grade level(s) were you interviewing?

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Thanks for posting the questions. Those are definitely challenging questions. I'm going to save these for future reference and come up with good answers for them.

22. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

Those are some tough questions, chuckie!! I'm sure I would have stumbled on most, if not all, of them.

23. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

24. smalltowngal

Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised they asked you some of these questions. I've been on about 10 interviews and most of these have never been brought up.

25. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

JW13 - it was for a high school special education position. While I am certified to teach that level, I am really not interested in teaching it. I'd prefer Elementary or Elementary Special Ed. I tried to find out in advance what the interview was for, but it was just classified as a "screening interview", not for a particular position even though it ended up being specifically for HS special ed.

26. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Jessica,

I hope they help. I copied and pasted all the questions from this thread and have been thinking up good answers, so I wanted to add my own. I hadn't seen any of these posted already.

-Charlotte

27. chuckie

chuckie Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

JW13 & Small Town Girl,

Yeah, the Vyogtsky question really threw me. I could remember his "Zone of Proximal Development" but for the life of me couldn't remember WHAT it was.

The math and reading theorists question REALLY threw me. She even gave me example of theorists names to jog my memory, but I didn't recognize any of them and wasn't able to retain their names in my memory so I can't even look them up. I was just wondering if this was something that is expected from most districts, but maybe not based on your reactions.

Unfortunately I don't think the interview went that well. I was able to answer the others questions, but the ones I couldn't, really stand out. It's not terrible because I'm not interested in the high school job anyway, but I probably blew it for any elementary positions that might open up.

Oh well, it was a learning experience!!!
    -Charlotte

28. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 28, 2008

Well, chuckie, don't feel bad. I don't think I would have been at all prepared for the theorist questions. I have never even discussed theorists since my child psych and ed. methods classes 12-15yrs. ago. I have never heard an admin. reference anything of that nature during my teaching career. I even had to look up Vygotsky when you posted the question. But, the other questions were fabulouse...thanks for posting.

29. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2008

Those are about the best answers I can come up with. I think I would blank out on half of those questions in an actual interview!

30. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Apr 28, 2008

Thanks Newbie...I appeciate the reply. I'm in the process of getting ready for a teaching fair down there. :)

31. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Okay. At least in these parts, it's customary for men to wear suits to their teacher interviews. I find this both puzzling and phony, but I am willing to play along. Plus, I clean up pretty nicely. *winky faced winky*

Now. I am sitting here in my suit and ready to take off for an interview, but I am reluctant to put on my tie.

I look better without it.

I feel better without it.

The suit is money.

The no-tie look suits ME better.

Should I go without it? Or is this an unforgivable stylistic faux paux?

Normally I've dutifully worn it, but it usually makes me feel like a big stiff. Literally.

Edit: I realize this is hardly an "interview question" but...well..sorta it is.

32. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

Proteus
    As long as you look professional and tidy(shirt nicely ironed and crisp), you do not need the tie.

33. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Righteous. Thanks!

34. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

No Problem...GOOD LUCK!

35. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2008

If you don't feel comfortable with it but still look professional, then don't wear the tie. Good luck!

36. Proteus

Proteus Rookie

Apr 29, 2008

Thanks. I nailed it. The whole no tie thing led to a relaxed Zen state wherein the interview was not an interview but an easy, engaged conversation wherein all the important "interviewy" things came up.

In that tie, I start pretending to be a grownup and nothing feels right.

I will never wear one again.

37. smalltowngal

Apr 29, 2008

GREAT!! Here's hoping they call you soon to offer you the job!

38. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Apr 29, 2008

Glad to hear it, Proteus! Perhaps you'll be posting on our who-got-a-job thread soon!

In my student teaching reflection class this semester one of my male classmates told us about how he asked his students how he could improve and across the board they all said LOSE THE TIE!!! It apparently made him really uptight and less approachable. So there's something to this no-tie thing. :)

~Briana~

39. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Apr 29, 2008

I never thought I would say this but I wish my suit had three buttons. I bought it before my interview in August for my job. I've worn the thing twice and tried it on for my interview next Thursday. It's gotten quite loose! Exciting, but I know my interview season might not quite be over yet. It will be okay, as you are sitting for interviews, and it's not as noticable....I may hit up TJ Max or JcPenney again before this interview.

40. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 29, 2008

I know what you mean I have a hard time finding suits that fit. I can't buy suits because I don't wear the same size in the top & bottom. I tried to make do with separate pieces that coordinate. I'm starting to hate shopping for clothes. Hopefully, I'll get a job soon & won't have to worry about it. :woot:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.