Interview questions (2008)

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lemonhead, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2008

I would never want to yell at my students. I also wouldn't want to think that there was nothing more for me to learn from my students.

2. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 15, 2008

Question I had today...You are in a public place (the store for example) and a parent comes up to you and starts talking badly about another student. What would you do?

I sort of stammered on this one and I don't know why. I do not think it is appropriate to talk about another student in public, good or bad, with another parent. You never know who that parent is going to talk to or who is over hearing you. (I told the interviewer that) I said that I would just sort of say something noncommital and slip away (be nonconfontational). Now I think I should have said that I would tell the parent that it is not appropriate for me to discuss another student and be aliitle more assertive.

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 15, 2008

Another question...What if after teaching standards ABC and assessing, you realize that students did not understand standard C? If I walked into your classroom the following week what would I see you doing?

I said I would reteach the standard. I would work in small group or one-on-one with those students that needed the most help and give some challenge work to those that "got it."

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

I think I would say something about how I would tell the parent that I don't talk about other students with parents, just like I don't talk about their child with other parents.

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Mar 15, 2008

That's a good answer!

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 15, 2008

I would add that I would review and revise my teaching strategy also.

7. alrober2

alrober2 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

Briana:
    I have around 40 hours of classroom observation time. (Originally I was an education major and changed it to English, because I had to work fulltime to help support my family.) I have taken 29 credit hours of education classes. In addition, I have been calling the local high schools to see if I could possibly observe in their English classes to not only acquire knowledge but to network with schools that potentially may have openings. Next week I am observing in one of the classrooms all day. I have also signed up to start subbing. Unfortunately after the training I will only be subbing for 1month before school lets out for the summer.

In the county I live they have a mass interview day in June. All of the schools who have openings post it and if they like you they do an on the spot interview that day. I am trying to do anything that I can to improve my chances. I even listed all of my education classes and observation time on my resume under a section I labeled: Education related course work.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions?

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

I think you are being very proactive. I think where you listed your observation times and classes is fine. This shows that you are willing to learn and are dedicated.

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 21, 2008

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday when I asked the job application question on a seperate thread. It does make me feel a little better that I'm not the only one that has uncertainties. Lots of wonderful suggestions/advice here. For future reference, I will post my questions here. I do have a long list of questions that my acp came up with. We'll share the important ones here. Thanks, again. You guys ROCK!!!!

10. mrsbrown2007

mrsbrown2007 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008

I also like this thread!

I don't have any questions at the moment, but a VERY good teacher friend of mine (who knows many principals) said that if you aren't sure what your answer should be, think of how you would want your own children to be treated. You could even say, "Since I would like my kids to be treated this way... then I would do it that way..."

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2008

Interview Question: What is one of your greatest accomplishments?

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2008

Interview Question: How do you handle tension?

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 23, 2008

Here are a few others that have been suggested may be asked:

As a new teacher, what help do you think you would need most in getting ready for the classroom?

How have your previous experiences prepared you for the classroom?

What training or experience have you had in developing curriculum or in teaching?

What do you think the most important thing about teaching is?

What is the best way to deal with a “troublemaker”?

How can you calm an upset parent who does not like what you are teaching?

14. Camel

Camel Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

Oooh, I am happy you listed that one, because I am not sure how I would answer it. I don't have any training in dealing with ELL students, and so far in my student teaching I haven't ran across any (western PA is not the most diverse place in the world).

I'm going to have to do some research on this topic! Anyone care to share their experiences? I am thinking I would say something along the line of making my lessons more visual (animations, pictures, concept maps, stuff like that) and making sure I teach important vocabulary along with whatever material is being covered, but that's just off the top of my head.

15. blarney469

blarney469 Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

Interview Question: In your opinion what are the most important issues facing your profession today?

I think this is another loaded question....for example, If you talk about AYP, a huge issue, are you being negative? Should you only talk about things you can impact? ....hmmmm....or both?

16. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Mar 24, 2008

I wasn't directly asked this in my interview, but I did talk about it in response to a question about differentiated instruction.

I have a few students who are still learning English and I have done some of the things you mentioned, using visual cues and stressing vocabulary. Since I teach science, there is a lot of terminology and a lot of my students need the vocabulary help, not just the ELL students! I would expand on this to include alternative assessment. Instead of writing an essay about a topic, have them draw it. I did this a couple of times (for the whole class, not just ELL) and it really helped me understand where they were having trouble. Some of my ELL students did the best work in the class!

I also have them work in groups a lot. A few of my students are biliungual and they were really able to help out by translating and also helping socially--sometimes it is really hard for the ELL kids to make friends. Even among the students who aren't bilingual, you'll be able to tell who will be a patient partner and may be able to help out (because some of them definitely are not--groups should be non-random!).

Also, give them more time when testing if it is taking a while just to read the question. Make sure you are available to clarify wording. I just had a Korean student take a test about photosynthesis and he did not understand the terms "pine needles" or "cactus thorns." I did a Google image search and showed him pictures to put him on the right track.

~Briana~

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 24, 2008

I know it is probably not the answer they are looking for but I think teachers have to be all things to all people. There are so many more things we have to do besides teach. Major issues like ESL, state testing, childhood obesity, drugs, multiculturalism, broken families, budget cuts...the list goes on.

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2008

I know what I would want to say....

For me, it's children's total lack of interest in education. This is more of a problem in the upper grade, but for some reason, many lose their interest by the time they get into 4th,5th grade. What happened? There's something wrong if kids, who are normally curious in the world, loses interest in learning.

19. smalltowngal

Mar 24, 2008

Peachy, that's a very good answer!!

20. LangArtsGuy

LangArtsGuy Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

that is the same thing that comes to mind for me

21. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 25, 2008

Here is a question that might have cost me a job last year. I knew I blew it.

Discuss a time when you used poor judgement or made a poor decision in the classroom? How would you or how did you resolve the issue?

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2008

oooh, what a horrible question. I wouldn't know where to begin with this one.

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

Question: Discuss a time when you used poor judgement or made a poor decision in the classroom? How would you or how did you resolve the issue?

Yikes. The first thing I thought of was some sort of classroom management thing that could easily be rectified.

I'm thinking about a situation where kids are always arguing about friends not sharing supplies. Then you make a decision to not allow supply sharing (I'm talking about their own school supplies twistables, colored pencils etc.). Later, you discover this sent the wrong message (and kids are now not sharing other things as well). So rather than banning school supply sharing, you decide to allow them to share but begin stressing kindness and sharing in the form of character education. You then see that the kids share better and are learning and important life skill at the same time.

Okay I admit I have nothing!

Lemon

24. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008

Just curious as to what you said that you thought killed it for you??

Lemon

25. athomp

athomp Rookie

Mar 26, 2008

How will you teach to students with diverse backgrounds? (different races, socio-economic backgrounds)

26. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 26, 2008

Question: Discuss a time when you used poor judgement or made a poor decision in the classroom? How would you or how did you resolve the issue?

I would respond this way:
    "During my 1st grade student teaching, I gave a girl several chances to correct her behavior during a group activity. When she didn't "shape up" I had her leave the group activity and put her head down on her desk. She just bawled with her head down. I realized that wasn't the best way to handle her misbehavior. When time permitted, I pulled her aside and apologized to her and explained why I was frustrated. She gave me a big hug and we discussed ideas of how to help her stay on track the next time we had a group activity.... it was a learning experience for both of us. When the event was over I reflected on my actions and what steps I would take with future similar situations to prevent the situation & behavior."

My intent is to convey that I know I am human and make mistakes, I admit my mistakes, reflect on them, and try to improve my teaching from the experience.

27. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 27, 2008

I mistakenly mentioned a time when I got to class angry because the night before, my best friend gave me two consecutive bits of bad advice while I was driving that resulted in a fender bender and my insurance rates going up.
    The kids knew my mind was elsewhere and I lost control of the class. When the interviewer asked me how I handled it, I said something stupid like "I didn't do anything".
    I knew I would not here from them after that, even though I did my student teaching with this district three years earlier.

28. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

I see- I bet you wanted a "do-over" on that one!!;)

Live and learn, huh?

Lemon

29. athomp

athomp Rookie

Mar 27, 2008

How will you teach to students with diverse backgrounds? (different cultures, socio-economic backgrounds)

Does anyone have any insight to this interview question? I've been asked it before...

30. smalltowngal

Mar 27, 2008

I would be sure to mention how your lessons relate to their real lives. And use a variety of teaching strategies that would meet this diverse need.

31. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

I agree with STG and I would mention how you try to build a classroom community, allow them to share things about themselves and their families and embrace the different cultures. Be sure you don't say something like you put your blinders on and treat them all the same no matter where they come from.

32. anavi

anavi Guest

Mar 27, 2008

Interview question:
    Why do you want to teach 2nd grade?

33. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 28, 2008

That would be easy for me because of my own experience. I went to an elementary school that was extremely diverse. For example, we had a large chinese community & we would study some of their customs & would have school events such as the celebration of the chinese new year. I just love those memories (few that I can remember). We also sampled some of the foods & did those chips that come in different colors --- don't know the name other than chinese potato chips. We also had international day & that was a big festivity. I had this beautiful skirt that had mariachi musicians on it & so I chose to represent Mexico. I still have the picture from that event.

I loved elementary school it provided me with some of the best memories of my life. :D

34. smalltowngal

Mar 28, 2008

You'd have to build on your own experiences to answer this question. For me (having taught 2nd grade before) it would be that are a little more independent students, but that you still need to model for them appropriate ways to do things. They still love their teacher no matter what. Here in Texas, 2nd grade curriculum is a lot of reviews of what they did in 1st to master those skills, so you could go into how to make your lessons a little more challenging to ensure their mastery.

35. athomp

athomp Rookie

Mar 28, 2008

You are a teacher in a high-need school. You conducted a diagnostic at the beginning of the year and learned that 50% of your students are performing two or more years below grade level.

It is now five weeks into the school year, and more than half of your students are failing your class (as measured by their scores on the first exam, weekly quizzes, and daily work grades). Report cards will be sent to parents in just over a week.

a. What steps will you take immediately and during the next few months to address this challenge?
    b. What do you expect these students to be able to achieve at the end of the year?

36. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 28, 2008

Yikes- Half the class more than 2 years below grade level? I don't know what to say to that. Why are they in the grade they are in?

37. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

INTERVIEW QUESTION: What would you expect from your principal?

38. mdp67

mdp67 Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

INTERVIEW QUESTION:
    Why would we hire you over another candidate?

39. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 29, 2008

Well, being a relatively new teacher, I can bring a freshness and eagerness into my teaching. I am enthusiastic about my work, have many new ideas to try and am not set in a specific teaching style. I am open to trying new things, have a great grip on new technology and have the desire to utilize it in my classroom. However, I am not fresh out of college, I do have 4 solid years of substituting under my belt. I know the teachers here, the kids here, I understand what goes on in a school, and, in particular, how things are done here.

40. smalltowngal

Mar 29, 2008

Support and backing with any problems that might creep up in the classroom, other coworkers, or with parents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.