Interview Question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Schuyler, May 23, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

May 23, 2007

Do interviewers typically get into the nitty gritty (i.e. - how have you taught phonemic awareness, time, etc.). Also, what do you do when interviewers don't get up to shake hands?

3. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

May 23, 2007

I can't help with the phonemic awareness, but I would say you walk up to them and extend your hand. I was in a similar situation with a large group and I just leaned over the table and they got the picture and shook my hand when I reached for them.

4. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 23, 2007

Phonemic awareness is the ability to manipulate sounds at the phoneme level. ( individual sounds) Some activites include changing or deleting the intial sound or final sound, blending and segmenting sounds ( ex. the sounds in cat are /c/ //a/ /t/.) ( the word is 'stop.' Take away the /s/ and you have top'.)There are many, many activites to do! Phonemic awareness activites are usually short mini-lessons (10-20 minutes) and should be engaging and involve lots of sound and word play. They are great for transition times. It is one of the earliest predictors of reading success, and very neccesary in Kinder and first grade. Poetry and songs are also great activities for phonemic awareness. If you google it you will find a multitude of information!

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 23, 2007

Kat53 is right on the mark. Phonemic awareness is also a big part of balanced literacy which is the trend in reading. So think about how you would incorporate phonemic awareness activiites in your lessons.

6. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 24, 2007

Sometimes, I've been waved to sit down at a table or to a designated chair. Instead of shaking hands at the beginning, I just make it a point to shake hands with each person at the end of the interview.

7. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

May 24, 2007

I rarely get the opportunity to shake hands with the interviewing committee other than the person who brings me into the room, which is usually the principal. I'm usually asked to sit right away and the table is too big to just lean over and shake hands. Instead, after they introduce themselves I say something like, "Very nice to meet you all." I do try to shake hands when I leave if possible.