Interview Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jam5146, Jun 19, 2018.

1. jam5146

jam5146 Guest

Jun 19, 2018

Sorry if this seems like an uneducated question. I was recently asked for two instructional concepts relevant to middle school Language Arts, then I had to identify the questioning strategy and specific questions I would use with students. I know I should know this, but I'm not quite sure what they mean by "instructional concepts". Is it referring to different ELA concepts, such as text-dependent questions and analyzing a theme or is it different ways to teach the concepts?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2018

I would think that instructional concepts are the same as instructional strategies.

4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 20, 2018

This is the type of interview question that I would place in the challenging category. It's not only what I would call a three-in-one question, but it relates to a critical aspect of instruction that often requires several minutes of planning time - not just a few seconds as in an interview.

The interview question was intentionally broad, so your first task would be to narrow it to a specific ELA domain - e.g. reading, writing, grammar, oral language development. Assuming that they meant to use the word strategy in place of concept, you would then need to select two common instructional strategies that would be appropriate for a given lesson. For example, for a reading lesson you might choose to use semantic mapping and reflective questioning. Since they had asked for specific questions that you would use, ideally you would need to draw on an actual lesson that you had previously taught and share a few examples of reflective questions that were asked of the students. In the absence of sufficient prior teaching experience, this question may be especially challenging for a new teacher and seems a bit unfair to me.

A better way to structure the question would be to ask the candidate to: a) list the ELA domains, b) select one domain, and c) describe two instructional strategies that would be appropriate to use in a lesson for the given domain. Specific questions that a candidate would use with students - relative to a given scenario/lesson - should have been addressed in a separate interview question.

How did you respond to the question?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018