Interview Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsB2B, Jun 13, 2010.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 13, 2010

Hi Everyone!

It's been a long time since I was on here (i've been busy)!

I finally completed my Master's degree and AIG certification (gifted students).

My husband was just transferred and we are moving about 2 hours away. I have an interview on Tuesday and really really really want this job. It's for a third grade teaching position (not AIG).

All of my administrators have a lot of respect for me and have no doubt that I will get it, but I'm the one going to the interview!

I have some ideas about what will make me stand out. Would anyone mind giving me some feedback?

-I had my students write reference letters for me. I gave them a format and starting sentence, but they picked out details and things about me to say. Then they peer edited and I have not read them. (i did this before and got the job- everyone was amazed by the effort)

-my 5th grade students wrote and produced a newscast this year. I thought about showing the principal on my iPad (got it for graduation). I want to show that I'm not afraid of technology and I will be able to use the iPad in class.

-I thought about writing a proposal of things that I want to accomplish professionally and for the school (ie. write a grant for technology, write a grant for a greenhouse to grow our own food-goes along with the nutrition in schools thing, pursue Nat'l Boards, start a school newscast, etc.). However, I don't want it to come across as "i'm coming in to change things or take over." I just want her to know that I have give a lot of thought to where I want to go in education. I seriously do want to pursue these things, it's not just fluff.

-share a student made independent project. I had my 3rd graders do independent projects. I picked the big topic and they focused on one small area (ie. I said solar system, he picked the moon). He did an amazing job and thought it would be cool to show.

Any other ideas???? I have heard of the proposal thing for administrator interviews, but not for teaching.

The interview is for 3rd grade in a rural school. The school does not have a lot of technology from what I remember. However, the district I am currently in uses A LOT. Like iPod Touch carts for classrooms, interactive boards, etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice offered! I truly appreciate it!!

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

A big part of deciding how far to go with your interview will depend on who is interviewing you. Is it a panel of principals, someone from the superintendent's office, or the principal him/herself?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2010

I think the reference letters from the students would be great to include. I think I would leave out the proposals unless you get a good feel from the interview panel. Going into a school with little technology, I might not show the IPad thing, but then again, that could be a springboard for them to try and get more technology.

Good luck!

5. tra072011

tra072011 New Member

May 17, 2012

Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

6. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

May 18, 2012

I really like the moon thing. You can talk about how you differentiate by not requiring the same project, but by evaluating the work involved.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

I would concentrate on my teaching skills, on using the interview to best showcase how strong a teacher I am. Many of the things you mention showcase the talents of particular students, but take the focus away from you. Interviews are too short to risk sharing the spotlight, if you know what I mean.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 18, 2012

Alice---I think it's the early morning again---this OP is from two years ago. tra brought it back for unknown reasons.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2012

:lol::lol:

10. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 18, 2012

I included an unsolicited student reco in my package. I was told it helped to get me my job here. It was completely unsolicited, though, which maybe casts it in a different light. Not sure.