interview question help

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by soldier86, May 12, 2012.

1. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 12, 2012

I need some advice on an interview question that keeps coming up. The question is "What do you think will be the hardest part of becoming a teacher from the non-tradtional program"? My answer has been "The hardest part I anticipate is the overall transition. Although I believe I have a solid background to begin teaching, I know I have a lot to learn. Once I am given a mentor and begin teaching I will do everything I can to be an effective and productive teacher. Therefore I believe I can overcome this obstacle without any major issues" . Is this a good answer? are there better answers out there?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

I think it seems like you are relying too much on having a teacher mentor. Are you certain that you'll be getting one at all? If I were hiring a teacher, I'd want to know that that person could handle the job. It's one thing to have to learn the ropes of a new job, but it's another thing entirely to hide behind or fall back on a mentor or to pin your success on having a good mentor.

Keep in mind that I am not on an interview committee or anything like that. People who interview candidates might have a different perspective.

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 12, 2012

I would lean less on the mentor because so many times nowadays , with budget cuts, do you really get a true mentor. I know I was flat out told at my interview that I'd be expected to be competent in my classroom with little mentoring. An occasional question being asked to another teacher, sure...but having a true mentor may be the case. Focus on being confident in your own abilities. :thumb:

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

hmmm. I don't like transition as the thing that would be the hardest part. Even a fresh grad from a regular school would struggle a little with the transition. In other words, I don't feel that the answer "overall transition" goes with the question.

I would probably say that you "are aware that many times people look at non traditional certification as inferior to the traditional. Because of this, I may have to work harder to gain others confidence even though I went through an excellent program, (student taught, have realworld experience or whatever). I have no problem with this because I am up for any challenge as long as I am teaching kids in a wonderful ______ like this one."

Okay, a little cheesy but you get what I am saying I hope. Match your answer with what they are asking you. So something like what I said would match.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Great point. A few years ago our alternatively certified teachers got mentors, but not anymore.

7. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

May 13, 2012

Lemonhead I love that answer! Yeah it may be a little cheesy but I like how it shows confidence and the ability to accept a challenge. Hopefully I will get a chance to use this answer. Thank you.

8. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 13, 2012

Solider if I remember correctly...you used to be in the military right? If I am right, then bring that up! I agree with other posters...mentors went the way of classroom supplies when the recession hit. Admins and other teachers when interviewing expect you to be ready to go from day one.

I would say something along the lines of I went through an alternate program, but I am just as good, if not better qualified, than those who went through a traditional program. Mention your student teaching experience and any leadership positions you might have had in the military. Mention working and going to school (hard work ethic).

I would use a lot of metaphors and similes. For example, when I was in the classroom it reminded me of such and such leading in the military. Or another example, I see my professional and life experience as a huge benefit to my teaching because when dealing with difficult situations in (name base, country) it made dealing with (grade, subject) much easier.

I wouldn't hide from the alternative path...I would embrace it. Make the interview committees think that not only can you lead a classroom but you could storm Normandy as well!