Interview question advice!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by laurenmarie, Dec 18, 2013.

1. laurenmarie

laurenmarie New Member

Dec 18, 2013

Hi all! Okay so here's the deal... I've been pre-hired by a local school district and am guaranteed a teaching job. I still need to wait for calls from schools and go to interviews with principals. I have gone to 3 interviews but no luck and I have another interview this Thursday for a 5th grade position. I'm nervous but feel prepared for particular questions. I'm a little stuck on what I would answer for the following situation/question: How would you answer students when they say "You're not my real teacher!" or "We didn't do it this way" or "Why do I have to do this since you're not really my teacher?" This is a tough question for me as they will be 5th graders. Any advice would be greatly welcomed!

3. teachart

teachart Comrade

Dec 19, 2013

I am not a classroom teacher, but a first year art teacher and my 5th graders were really attached to their last art teacher that they had for years.

I went in on the first day and said look, there are things that I need to teach, and I may not teach the same as the last teacher. But let's brainstorm a list of things you like about art and projects you are looking forward to. I can't promise we'll be able to do everything on the list but we can try, and if you approach me respectfully with an idea during the year I will consider it.

We created the list. I don't think I've actually done any of their project ideas yet but I plan to do at least one, but they have been on "my side" ever since, even though I changed all the classroom procedures they were familiar with.

I'm sure more experienced teachers can offer better advice, but maybe this will help.

4. Mrs Teacher

Mrs Teacher Rookie

Dec 22, 2013

I would start by saying that it's better to prepare for the day in such a way to prevent kids from even saying this at all. I'm assuming you'll be replacing a teacher who left/retired?

You'll want to begin your "year" as if it's the beginning of September of a typical year. You'll want students to get to know you and you'll want to get to know them. Perhaps you'll bring in a read aloud picture book that is relevant to the experience. I think you'll have to use your first day to have the conversation regarding the fact that you are now their new teacher and that means things may be different. Explain how they will really excel if you are able to teach according to your style which is why they should not be concerned about changes... but reassure them that you'll be very clear about your style and expectations.

The key is to not assume the students know your expectations. Approach everything you do with an initial explanation and rationale (in the same way we state objectives). It's also important to hear about their previous routines and expectations because if they are familiar with a certain way and they're successful in that way, it would be beneficial to take advantage of that.

There's a fine balance between running your class as a democracy and running your class as a dictatorship. The students need to know that you are the boss and your decision is final, but they also need to know that their opinion/input will always be considered... but it will not result in endless debates for the rest of the year. This can be achieved with consistency and a firm yet respectful tone.