Interview Protocols, Etiquette, Etc.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

OK, when I go on interviews, I definitely shake the person's hand when I step into the room. I also shake hands at the end thanking them for their time.

I also like printing out a few copies of my resume, whole bunch of letters of rec, & other documents all professionally together in a folder for each person on the interviewing board to KEEP.

I already know my interviewers for this particular interview I'll be going on, so I'll just shake their hands at the beginning, NOT the end. What do you guys think?

Also, at the end, when this employer asks if I have questions, I have a few that I'll ask. I also plan to throw in that my mom, who worked 20+ yrs for the dist & just retired last yr really enjoyed working for this dist. I don't think a little name-dropping will do any harm. (They can feel free to ask about my mom as an employee. She had an impeccable record.)

3. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Aug 20, 2011

Sounds great! Good luck Ms. I I know this is the interview/job you've been waiting all summer for just be yourself and you will NAIL it.

If the slight chance they go with someone else at least you have District 2!

4. Galois

Galois Companion

Aug 20, 2011

All the best in your interview, Ms. I. I shook hands before and after in my last interview which was last Wednesday. I was interviewed by the principal/director and vice director. I didn't have any questions for them when asked. I said they already mentioned everything. Besides, I don't want to ask about salary. I felt very at ease in talking to them. The principal replied to my email (which includes a cover letter, resume, and recommendation letter) before hand and mentioned in the email that I come over and take a look if the school is the right fit for me - this said a lot of things. But, I still have to go through the interview process and wait for the result in the afternoon, which I got, since they still have to interview another applicant right after me.

A lot of things depend on what one has done before the interview: one's character, personality, training, experience (This will be my first permanent teaching job. I'm a sub.), recommendations (a major part I got the job - one of my references or recommenders is a math department head who has worked with the principal before. Networking found my way through this department head who eventually gave me a recommendation letter), etc. Anything needs hard work if one wants to succeed. One also has to perservere in this job market. Don't give up. Again, all the best in your search.

5. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 20, 2011

I think it's okay to shake hands at the the beginning and ending. I hope it all works out for you.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2011

I would treat them the same as interviewers you don't know. Most interviewers try to approach each interview professionally, so I would take your cues from them.

I would definitely follow the same "end advice" and shake hands, thank them, send followup note or email.

Good luck!

7. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 20, 2011

I, too, think that you should treat the interviewers with the same level of professionalism and respect that you show others that are unfamiliar to you. I would caution against using your mom's name in the conversation at the end... hopefully your last name is enough for them to make the connection. That's just me though... I would prefer to let "me" make the impression rather than a relative. The reason being is that even though you believe her to have an exemplary record... that may or may not be the case for others. Good luck on the interview!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

Good input, thanks a lot guys! :) Actually, my mom kind of told me to bring up her name. There's really no way of the interviewers knowing who my mom is if I don't mention it because she worked in a different kind of dept. I hope I get an interview question, such as, "What makes you unique or stand out from the other applicants?" Then, amongst saying other things, I can bring up about how loyal an employee I am (& speaking of loyalty), that's a time I could ease into mentioning how my mom was an employee here for 20+ yrs before she retired last yr & how I plan to have that same loyalty with this district that she had. So I think there's a way to fit that in nicely! ;)

I welcome more comments! :)

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2011

I wouldn't mention your mom in relation to what you do or will do. You want to leave them with an impression of you as a strong, independent leader.

I think it's fine to bring her up if they ask why you want to work there, but probably not in a y other context. Besides, if they don't know her, or know of her, dropping the name is unlikely to be overly helpful. You've been there for 10 years yourself, so your reputation and history with the district should be the big selling point as far as that goes.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2011

Yeah, mollydoll, I was thinking the same thing. Honestly, I still don't think mentioning that will hurt though. Eh, maybe I'll leave that out.