Interview Prep

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ll1301, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ll1301

ll1301 Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

Hi everyone! I just got a call back today for a first grade teacher interview! I just graduated in May and this is my very first teacher interview, so I am VERY nervous. What kinds of tips/suggestions or sample interview questions should I expect? I did my student teaching and one other internship in a 1st grade classroom, so I believe I have an advantage there. But any suggestions or tips would be great! Thank you!!!!!! :confused: :help: :cool:

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2013

You should check out the job seekers forum. There is a wealth of information in that forum about doing well at an interview. There's way more info there than I can possibly type.

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

Definitely check out the job seekers forum...lots of interview questions to think about and other situations people have been in. Do lots and lots of research on the school and district. Be prepared to ask them a few questions. Have some samples and things to wow them with. And most of all, be yourself!!! Good luck!!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

Good luck!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 10, 2013

Definitely check out the interview questions on the job seeker forum. The one piece of advice I can give is to remember to make your answers specific. So, for example if they ask you "how do you plan your lessons and what are the essential components of your lesson plans" instead of just saying you have an opening activity, then blah, then blah, then closing and just list the parts, give an example. So think of a lesson and relate each part to it. "First I determine the objective of the lesson, which was adding one digit numbers. next I decide on my opening activity, which was....., then I..." Basically your goal is to have them picture the lesson and have it be a specific answer that relates to something YOU have done, not just give them the standard parts of a lesson plan.

So, think of lots of scenarios in your head that relate to questions you may be asked: how you handled a discipline problem, how you differentiate your lessons, how you work with small groups, how you help struggling readers, how you work with a student two grade levels ahead in reading, how you meet the needs of students with IEPs or who are ELLs, how you communicate with parents...

Good luck!