Interview-Portfolio question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by COMrs.S, May 9, 2012.

1. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

May 9, 2012

Good evening! Yesterday, I got a call from a principal asking me to come in for an interview. :D I have wanted to work in this school district for the past four years. I am so happy that I received his call. He mentioned that I might want to bring in a portfolio to help answer questions.

I honestly haven't created a portfolio since I student taught (Fall '07).

I was thinking of bringing my laptop and flash drive as my portfolio. I was thinking that if questions come up and I have an example, I could just open up the doc on my laptop.

What do you think about this?

Thank you so much! :)

3. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 9, 2012

I think doing that is a great idea! It will also show how technologically-savvy you are.

Just make sure that, if you don't already, you get everything organized and into neat files so that you're able to pull things up quickly.

Good luck!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 9, 2012

I'm all about technology, but I think many people still want that tangible portfolio. Besides, documents on a computer aren't really cutting edge. ;)

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2012

I would print them. This way it can be passed around and touched...or left behind if needed.

6. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 10, 2012

I agree. Tech-savvy is good, but I feel that might think you grabbed your computer at the last minute versus creating a portfolio.

I would put together a little folder or binder of a few of your documents, pictures, whatever you have that exemplify you as a teacher. You can always keep it in your bag and only take it out if they request it, or if a question that comes up is related to something in the binder.

That's what happened to me last week - the principal said, "So tell me about Data Collection...." and I was like, "Well, actually!" and pulled out a few old progress reports, data charts, behavior graphs, etc. and he totally loved it. So it can be good!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 10, 2012

Only do this if you are creating an E-Portfolio that is set up so they can go through it. If you have everything in your computer already it is simple an can be done in a few minutes using Adobe Acrobat (the pay one not the free one).

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 10, 2012

I always create a mini-portfolio on my best selling points to leave with the principle. I'm a portfolio fanatic and I love putting together artifacts of my teaching ability, techniques, and skills-- I have two right now: my first one from student teaching and my second one from when I interviewed at my school three years ago.

My second one had to be created because I switched from teaching in NY to NJ and the techniques are different. I also switched from public and private, so they have different "wants". For my updated portfolio, I dumped all the wordy parts (my philosophy on teaching, explanations of each artifact, etc) and just put artifacts in-- lesson plans, assessment tools, student work that I had saved, science notebook entries, screenshots of my teacher web-site I used for classroom resources, etc. I geared it towards the qualifications that the school wanted, as well as, any documentation I could find on areas they were specifically trying to improve on (school goals, strategic plan for the school, etc).

The mini-portfolio I left with the principal had about 4-5 of my best artifacts so she could share it with other faculty. I also made sure to follow up with e-mails about 2-3 times over the next 5 weeks to help extend what I was capable of doing. [For example, the principal was interested in a web-site that I created, so I sent her a link with a brief explanation about it and then I put a tracker on my site to see if she went to the site-- she did, so I was pretty excited about it]

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help out :)

9. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

May 13, 2012

Thank you all so much for the advice! I spent my Saturday creating a portfolio. Luckily, I already had everything I needed...I just needed to print and organize! :) Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday! :D

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2012

Good luck! :)