Interview outfit....please help!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Missangelica14, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Hi all,
    I have been working on interview questions and now I find myself thinking about an appropriate outfit... I don't have formal business attire like a suit or anything and I am trying to think of something that would work...

My ideas so far:

Capris and a polo shirt

A skirt and nice shirt

I feel stuck and just not sure of what to wear.- I can't go out and buy something new and I am trying to find something appropriate for the summer....

Please help!

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 20, 2014

If you have a dress paired with a cardigan that would work. Dress pants and a nice shirt is fine.

Do not wear capris with a polo. Too casual.

A skirt with a nice shirt is ok.

4. 2teach2love

2teach2love Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

On advice from friends, internet searches, etc., I wore black dress pants and a teal shell under a light weight black cardigan. Minimal jewelry, nice shoes.

I agree that capris and a polo are too casual.

A dark skirt with a nice blouse. If arms are bare, wear a light weight jacket or cardigan sweater.

Do a Google image search on: dressing for a teacher job interview. This will bring up some great ideas.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2014

Capris and polos are a no-no.

Dressy shoes are important. Nothing more than a peep toe or sling backs. (No sandals or flip-flops!!)

Suits really are best. Without a suit, layering is key. Cardigan, dress pants, dressy top under the cardi.

6. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Thanks for the reply! I have two possible skirts,one is long and pink, the other is short and black...I am thinking of the black one because it is very hot outside...this black one I have worn before when I was volunteering and it goes to my knees...

As for shirts, I have a nice multicolored sleeveless shirt, a plain pink one and I am looking for a few more ideas....

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

I always wear a suit and really do think they are worth the investment. I got black suit separates at New York and Company, on a sale and with a coupon, for under $100.

But, if you don't want to go the suit route, I echo what everyone else has said. A dark skirt with a dressy top/shell with a cardigan; black dress pants with dressy top/shell with cardigan or blazer; or a simple sheath dress with a cardigan or blazer. For shoes, I go with a classic black pump. The shoes are not shoes that I wear for any other occasion, as they are too conservative. But, they match the suit very well.

Whatever you wear will be fine as long as it is professional and you look neat and polished.

8. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

I feel like it's becoming less and less common to wear suits - but if you can get your hands on one, it will really set you apart.

I would also advise you wear your hair back. I've seen a lot of candidates leave it down. Even though that's stylish, you don't want to risk it falling in your face as you are answering a question.

9. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

I'd rather over dress then under dress, but this is a tough question. If you know someone from the district, that might help? You should wear a skirt though,

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2014

Actually, super dressy might be a regional thing. Where I live, schools encourage candidates to come dressed casually if they are interviewing in the summer. Most of the administrators are in shorts. One P I interviewed with once actually thanked me for listening to her and dressing down. She said that was her first test for the candidate.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 20, 2014

Definitely avoid the khaki and polo route.

For the job I got, I wore black dress sandals, black flowy dress pants, a grey patterned blouse, and a pink blazer. I got everything except the shoes from New York and Co.

I mostly wore pants suits for my other interviews. I wore a dress and a cardi when I got approved by the board.

12. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Like stated dress varies so much from school to school. At the district I teach in, I got a verbal warning because I looped my belt wrong, and was "sagging".

Where I student taught, the fact that I wore dress pants meant I was probably over-dressed, most teachers wore black denim jeans. I was told numerous times that I was probably over-dressing.

13. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Well, my hair won't be a problem... My hair is really short and there is no chance of it falling in my face:)...

14. Missangelica14

Missangelica14 Rookie

Jul 20, 2014

Well, I have decided on a skirt and nice shirt... It's multicolored but really nice... I have been a volunteer at this school and worked there for the last 4 years.. So I am pretty well known!

15. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 20, 2014

Suit!

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2014

I'm glad you decided against capris.

17. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 20, 2014

It's interesting to see how it varies by region. Every interview I have been to, I wore a suite (and I loathe them!) and every person I have seen going in or coming out for an interview is in a suit. I had a black skirt-went to Kohls and got a jacket for $25 on sale. I had shirts to wear underneath. One thing I was told was to NEVER wear open toed shoes. I found a cheap pair of heels on clearance at Kohls.
    Good luck! If they know you already, your outfit you mentioned will be fine!

18. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 21, 2014

I actually got some of those really nice clothes for my first round of interviews right after school. As I've been working, I've seen less and less people coming in with those types of outfits on. Now I see women wearing nice dresses or top and skirt combos, things that I would teach in if I knew parents were coming in or something.

So this time, I wore a khaki skirt, white cami with a reddish/pinkish light sweater thing, and OPEN TOED SHOES, which I never thought I would do. But heels hurt my feet so bad, and these were the only shoes I could find that fit me and went with my outfit the night before the interview (I got the call to come in to interview the day before). They were wedge sandals. It worked though- I got the job offer that same day!

I have interviewed in the south though, so maybe that's why it worked?

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2014

These things tend to vary geographically, but even in less conservative areas,it's best to present a polished, pulled together, professional look...that can e a suit, a skirt and cardi, a dress...be neat, be positive and remember, 'you're never fully dressed without a smile!'

20. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

Dress casual is subjective.

My summer super casual depending on the weather here is shorts and a t-shirt but that's so no go on an interview. Wearing jeans? I still dress jeans up with a nice blouse and shoes like a Friday night date outfit with a 3/4 sleeve cardigan or blazer.

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2014

One of the rules of thumb that can be a gentle guide: wear what you would wear on a work day, dressing it up slightly. For a sub, I think you were probably spot on, especially since they know you, but dressing it up some will be fine. I don't do suits, but I would also not wear denim to school, so I am already in a different mode. At schools here, no denim or jeans, no sneakers, no open BACKED shoes when teaching, with open toes somewhat questionable in some districts. Nothing too revealing in any sense of the word, no leggings, nothing too tight or too sloppy, and nothing that would resemble evening wear. Pretty much stuff you would already know. Capri's that are nice are fine. Obviously, no skorts, shorts, or sweats. Leggings have become a hot bed of controversy in the school, along with the counterparts Jeggings. Too short and too long are not favored, and they aren't big on patterned hose. A nice dress, jumper, slacks with a nice top, maybe with a blazer or sweater works in the school year. I agree that if you know the school is dressed down in the summer, I would be neat and ready to work, but I would lose the full suit and heels. Just a thought. I am sure that closer to NYC the fashion factor escalates. A rule I learned a long time ago is to be outside when the employees come out after work, and see what they are wearing. You can dress on the slightly better end of that "scale" and avoid either extreme of too dressy and sloppy.