Interview on Monday! HELP!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by elismom, Aug 1, 2007.

1. elismom

elismom Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Hi Everyone!
    I am so excited! I have an interview for my dream job on Monday! Here's the catch...I've been out of teaching for 7 years raising my babies! Now, I feel like I need to be updated on the latest "buzz words" and teacher strategies that are hot topics in teacher circles. I am a passionate teacher and I don't want my lack of knowledge regarding the latest trends to get in the way of them seeing what a great candidate I am! If you can offer any help I would surely appreciate it! Thank-you so much!

3. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

Try this website for a review of some relevant terms. Best of luck to you. Be sure to work into the conversation how you have had so much experience with your kids for the past 7 years. It is relevant.

Good luck!

http://glossary.plasmalink.com/glossary.html

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2007

Check out the interview thread on this forum! It has it all.

5. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I've been on several interviews this summer after just graduating with my Masters'. I would say to be sure you have some examples of using differentiated instruction in the classroom to reach all types of learners. Many interviews asked me what "effective reading instruction" looks like: and I feel like they are looking for scaffolding the pillars of reading instruction (phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, vocabulary) as was as instructional techniques (choral reading, paired reading, independent literacy centers). Another thing that helped me get to an interview with the superintendent (I think) was answering the hypothetical questions with examples that you actually DID. Although I am not a mother, if I were you I would play up that experience to your advantage too. Schools want parents on their side, and parents can connect well with a teacher who is experienced as a parent. Another "buzz" question I've gotten a few times is "How do you integrate technology into the classroom." That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I hope this helps!

6. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

Hi! I am coming back after 3 years home with my kids, but I feel just like you. I've been lucky enough to have 7 interviews in the past few months so here are the current trends in questions I have had....
    *technology integration
    *differentiated instruction
    *instructional stategies
    *data driven instruction
    *formative and summative assesments
    *how assesment drives instruction
    *adaptations and modifications for special ed students

Some of these are just different ways of saying the same thing, but whatever makes them happy :)

Oh, and I think we have something else in common too...I have a little Eli at home!

7. elismom

elismom Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

That helps SO much!

thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! That is extremely helpful! You guys really understood where I was coming from! I really feel better. That's great you have an Eli! (it's a great name, isn't it??) :)

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

Best of luck to you! I stayed home for over 14 years and I did have some really tough interviews. Sometimes I thought they were actually trying to humiliate me with questions they knew I couldn't answer just to prove that I was too old. And I just knew I was still a great teacher! Last summer I interviewed with a school who asked me questions about how I teach (not about teaching terms). I had a great feeling about the job, got hired and had a great "first" year. Be confident in what you can accomplish! But of course, brush up on the new lingo.

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

It sure is! Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your interviews and everything:)