interview notes/questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by atxteacher, Aug 12, 2014.

1. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Is it appropriate to have a little cheat sheet to have out during the interview? If so, what would be some things you would put on it?

I was thinking: the questions I would want to ask the panel, maybe bullet points of things to remember...

My first EVER in person interview is tomorrow.. I am stressed out to the max.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

I've never brought anything like that with me, nor would I. I've sat on panels before, too. If a candidate walked in and had a 'cheat sheet', I'd think they were ill prepared and were using it as a crutch. :2cents: :sorry:

4. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 12, 2014

I asked my mother in law about this because I was having issues remembering everything I wanted to say during interviews. She said she would never have an issue with it (she does panel interviews, she is a principal). I would probably ask if you are able to use it, maybe explain that it's talking points that you don't want to forget to mention. I have notes during IEP meetings and parent/teacher conferences so that I don't forget to mention things, so why should it be different in an interview? I would think you should only use bullet points though, and keep it limited. That's just my personal opinion though!

5. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

What I do is write answers to possible questions down, questions to ask the principal, and some info on the school on a piece of paper or notebook. Then I study everything, even right before the interview. Then, at the interview, I do my best.

The studying helps! You want to show the principal you know your stuff rather than looking back at notes. I think it's different than notes from IEP meetings and parent/teacher conferences, since you have that job when you're in those meetings (Sorry chitown! Just want to state my opinion, no hard feelings! :) )

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

Hope the interview went well! Yes, yes, yes - have notes for the interview. The interview is actually happening in both directions, and it shows forethought and organization to have some notes to refer to.

7. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

It is today at 2:30.. i am freaking. out.!!!!

8. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

Although there are good points as why it would be okay to bring notes, I'm going to agree with the "no" group. Only because it might seem like you're unprepared. To whip them out when it's time to ask THEM questions, I don't think that would be bad.

Good luck today! Let us know how it went! :thumb:

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

I don't think I would have it out right in front of you during the interview, but I would bring something that had questions that I wanted to ask on it. The interview process is so nerve-racking that it's easy to forget questions and things that you want to discuss.

Good luck!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 13, 2014

Well, I guess one way you could get around it is ask if they would mind if you took your own notes during the interview. If it's a small pad you could probably have some of your own "cheats" on it already. I personally have never taken anything into an interview except for my portfolio and an extra copy of my resume (you wouldn't believe how many interviewers don't have it on hand).

11. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Stick with your portfolio. I practiced my questions out loud (talking to myself) and evaluated my responses and energy and that helped me.

I got to the interview about 20 minutes early and sat in the parking lot going through my portfolio and questions and walked in 15 minutes early and got started right away.

They didn't ask to see my portfolio once but I gestured to it a lot and when asked a question I turned to that section and answered. I didn't even look at the portfolio except at the end with the "do you have any questions for us" and but I just wanted it front and center and they remarked on me coming extremely prepared.

You got this so just breath and GO! :thumb: