Interview, not sure

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Jul 29, 2013.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Hello friends,
    I had an interview today, first of the year. It was tough in that I think my nerves got the best of me. I had answers for all of the questions, but it felt a bit awkward sometimes. I don't think they liked me much based on the vibe in the room, but I left with my head high. It really is a lovely district and I'm sure they'll find someone amazing. I don't expect to be called back so I'm a bit bummed to be back to the drawing board.
    How do you bounce back from what you think might have been a not so stellar performance? I really did study for this interview so it wasn't so much that I didn't know what to say, but that I just don't think I organized my thoughts as well as I felt I could have if I weren't so darn nervous. Oh well. Better luck next time, if there is a next time. Wow, I sound so defeated.
    Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.
    acl

3. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 29, 2013

I am sure your interview went better than you think - after all, we are our own worst critics:)

I had a phone interview in June that went terrible. A) Because it was a phone interview and I feel I better portray myself in person as I sound like a child on the phone haha B) It was hard for me to hear the questions since it was a panel so I kept saying "Pardon?" or "I'm sorry?" C) They asked some questions that I felt ended up in me repeating myself multiple times.

My advice is to keep practicing. Sometimes while I'm driving I will answer questions in my head. Example: One time I spent about an hour talking to myself about the Common Core State Standards, haha!

Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts that you hear good news:)

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jul 29, 2013

Just keep trying and going to interviews. I don't think there is any trick to it, just keep trying and do your best. I thought I didn't really have a chance at getting offered my current position... then I got a email saying I got the job. Just keep trying!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Maybe writing a thank you note with verbiage conveying that while you were a bit nervous on the interview, you know that you would be a good fit for the position. Clarify any answers you felt were fuzzy...and thank them again for their consideration. Couldn't hurt. Wishing you well.:love:

6. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

There are some administrators who intentionally react in a very deadpan way during interviews- I had a friend who found out after she got her job that they did that to see how an applicant would respond. Even if you don't think that's what it was, try not to beat yourself up. I've gotten two jobs from interviews where I felt like the response was lukewarm. I ran into someone on the panel later in the year and she said my interview was amazing.

7. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Haha. That's funny that you said that because that's exactly what I did not long after I left the interview, and I believe I got that idea from something you said on this forum before. While I wasn't super excited about how the interview went, I was quite pleased with how my thank you note turned out. Too bad i couldn't have had both a good interview and awesome follow-up email. We'll see if I hear anything. Thanks.

8. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 29, 2013

Thank you. I hope that's the case. Either way, it does make me feel a little better :)

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 29, 2013

I cried on the phone to my mom all the way home from an interview I thought didn't go well. I was offered the job and still work there. You just never know!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

:thumb: fingers crossed for you...glad my advice was helpful.:blush:

11. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 29, 2013

I went on an interview and thought it was absolutely horrible - I thought there was absolutely no chance that they'd call me back and the next day they called me and asked me to come back for a demo lesson. So you never know!

12. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Jul 30, 2013

I should add too that the principal from my original panel interview both remembered my name and recognized me even though I ended up working in a different building, so for her to come out and tell me how awesome my interview was before I could even introduce myself to her again... was incredible! So, you just never know. Good luck!

13. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

It's official. I didn't advance to the second round of interviews. Even though I'm not surprised, this feels like a kick in the gut. It has been my only interview this summer, and it was for a full-time English teacher position in a public school. It would have been awesome. I can fix my mistakes, mostly letting my nerves take over during the interview, for next time, but I'm so worried there won't be a next time. I feel so defeated and depressed. I am glad to actually have closure and respect the school district for letting me know as soon as they knew, but ouch! I keep having visions of myself as an old woman who went to school for years to be a teacher, but never got a chance. I know, not a very optimistic attitude, but that's how I feel. I can't move or take other big risks because I am married with three awesome children. So, not sure what to do next. There hasn't been a new posting anywhere near me in a few weeks. I remember things picked up a bit in the first week of August last year so I'm really hoping to see more postings soon.
    I want to thank you all for your comments. It was so helpful.