Interview Next Tuesday

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TXowl, Aug 6, 2010.

1. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 6, 2010

After I had almost given up I got a call today for an interview!! I have applied to 45 districts around Texas and emailed principals for every opening. The interview is the 3rd interview I've had in this particular district, the first 2 were at a different campus. Now I'm starting to freak out a little. The woman who called me from HR only told me it was a science position, but didn't say which grade level. It's a PK-5 school so I'm not sure how to go into the interview.

I'm trying to stay positive and think that the 3rd time will be the charm in this district. My biggest problem right now is getting a duplicate copy of my vehicle registration. I must have thrown it away accidentally because I can't find it, but I found last years. The school is on an army post so I HAVE to have it to get a visitor's pass. Fingers crossed I can get a duplicate in time, otherwise I'll be renting a car to go on post (only need a rental agreement for that pass). Looking for a teaching job is getting soooo expensive (did I mention this district is 3.5 hours away?).

Sorry for the rambling... I'm just really nervous.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

best wishes to you

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

WOW----> Wishing you luck and keeping my fingers crossed that you find the necessary paperwork.

5. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

Aug 6, 2010

Go knock them dead! I hear you about expensive... I was lucky enough to find a job but I have to move my family about 2 hours away for it... we have put about 10,000 into getting our house ready to sell! Ouch! Keep positive!

6. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck! I definitely hear you about the expensive part-my closest interview was an hour from home, farthest was about 5 hours. I had given up on a job for this year when I got a call from the district I live in for an AmeriCorps position, so it is possible for you to get a job yet!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck!!!!

9. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 6, 2010

I hope you do well.
    Good luck!!

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck!

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck! Cannot wait to hear your update!

12. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 6, 2010

I called the visitors' center to double check and they said I don't need the registration! Woo hoo!! Now I have one less thing to be nervous about.

Should I call HR on Monday to see if I can find out what grade level the position is for? I can definitely just go in with a science focus, but it's always easier to tailor my examples to the correct grade.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2010

I would not worry about it personally. I would just go over the interview thread here. The questions will mainly apply to any grade level. Enjoy the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

14. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 7, 2010

I wouldnt call, I would just go in with the science ideas. The P will probably let you know in the interview. I would come up with some lesson ideas and then tailor them during the interview if you find out what grade it will be for (who knows, you may be teaching a few grades). Good luck!

15. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 9, 2010

I am get really excited for my interview now. I'm leaving tomorrow evening to go stay with a friend who lives near the district (my interview is at 9 am on Tuesday and is 3.5 hours from where I live).

I am going against my nature and being incredibly optimistic. I am going into this interview with the idea that I am the BEST person for the job and they will hire me. I normally don't handle change or not being in controlvery well, but I am ready for this. If I get hired I will have to move up there in less than a week. Teacher training begins Friday and last through the following week and then school starts.

I have prepped by doing my research on the school and making myself a list of possible questions to ask. This will be my third interview in this district and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the third time will be the charm! :D

16. CrayolaCrayon

CrayolaCrayon Companion

Aug 9, 2010

You sound so optimistic and prepared for this interview. That's great!!

Best of luck tomorrow! I can't wait to hear how good it goes.

17. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes. Seems like your very prepared and ready to land this job.

18. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Interview UPDATE

So I had the interview this morning. It turned out to be for a science lab position, which I would LOVE. They had people scheduled for only 10 minutes each for interviews, and I was the last one (so they interviewed a max of 8 people). My interview actually went over and was 15 minutes long. I thought it went really well. I gave better answers than even I expected, and I made sure to use examples from my student teaching. I walked away knowing that I did everything I could in the interview, and now it's up to them. They are making their decision today and HR will call the person who they choose either today or tomorrow. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next 24 hours!

19. LostTeacher

LostTeacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Looking for a job is extremely expensive! I spent over $200 for one district's interviews (suits, demo stuff, etc.)
    GOOD LUCK!!! =)

20. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Good luck! I know how hard it is out there! Try and remain calm and be yourself on your interview. Make sure you let your passion for teaching shine through. I will be thinking about you!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

Hope you hear good news soon!

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2010

Fingers and toes crossed!!!

23. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2010

Good luck!

24. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 11, 2010

Didn't get the job I guess

I guess I didn't get it. HR never called today. I'm even more upset after not getting this one than any of the others because I know that I did my absolute best in the interview and still didn't get the job. This is the WORST feeling!

I've spent the last 2 years of my life and over $15K getting my masters and certifications. I don't know what to do. New teacher orientation starts tomorrow and Friday for most districts and school starts the 23rd. Everyone keeps telling me I'll get something, but if I can't get the job when I absolutely nailed the interview then it's hopeless. I don't know whether to scream or cry!!!

25. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Im so sorry Riceowl :/ keep your head up. I know the right job it out there for you!!

26. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

Try to take a little bit off today and get back in the groove. Take a little bit of time off and then try to get back out there.

Write down why you are doing this and put it in your wallet and take it out and remember why you ARE a teacher! Good luck and best wishes! If you don't keep trying you will never find that job! Keep you head high and remember what it is all for!