Interview Monday!!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by maebowler, Jan 25, 2007.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 25, 2007

I'm driving home today and my cell phone rings. A school wants me to come in for a 6th grade Math/Science/Social Studies position interview. It is a permanent contract, not LTS. I think it is for this school year because they haven't posted a whole lot yet for next year. I don't know what to expect. I have my middle school science license, but it said they preferred a math license. Any ideas on what to expect? It has been a year since I had middle school interviews and I don't have experience teaching middle school. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Jan 25, 2007

I would not worry about not having the math license; chances are if they contacted you then they know what license you have. It is difficult / impossible to find someone with all three, so I am sure that as long as you can prove that you are not a math dummy, you will be fine. The stress leading up to the interviews are always worse than the actually interview.

GOOD LUCK!!

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2007

Since middle school is new to you, be prepared to discuss how you will handle classroom routines, such as organization, grading, and classroom management. There are some great ideas on this site. In my interview (for the job I got), they really focused on organization and independence because those were weaknesses of the person I was replacing.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2007

HIt the website of the school or district. Find out what they emphasize, what they perceive to be their strengths and so on.

6. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jan 30, 2007

It was an interesting interview. A hodge podge of questions. I will find out later this week and the job would start Monday. I don't think I will get the offer, but my future mother-in-law said that I am being too hard on myself. Funny moment, I'm sitting in the chair waiting to go in and the secretary ask me who I am waiting for and I told her I was her for an interview, she said oh, I'm sorry I thought you were one of the students. Always, Always

7. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Feb 1, 2007

I would get that all of the time when I was subbing.... I was actually threatened with detention for impersonating a teacher:confused:

8. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Feb 1, 2007

alt edu:
    It sounds cliche, but someday you will laugh at that memory if you didn't at the time. :D If it happens again, smile/ laugh, hand them a business card and just tell them thank you for the compliment on the youthful looks. But make sure you always go into a school dress very professional, and leave off any kind of indication of youthful appearance, such as denim anything, low cut tops(if you are female) t-shirts-even the nicer ones, atheletic/tennis shoes unless you're teaching P.E., chewing gum. Dress as if you are going to church! which in my area down south would be just right. ;)

9. alt edu

alt edu Companion

Feb 1, 2007

I did laugh at it, and still do when I think about it. I actually do dress very "church like":angel: , that is why at first I thought that it was a joke. I found out later it was "career day"... what are the odds. I think he was more embarrassed than I was.:eek: And I was sure to thank him. I am only 27, but it is ok by me if I look 10 years younger:rolleyes:

10. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Feb 1, 2007

Career day , hmmm? Well, I am 47 going on 48. If someone actually had the gumption to ask me if I was a student, I'd trully have to fall in to floor and laugh until I wet myself!!!:D If I looked 10 years younger, that'd definitely be okay with me. 20 years???? nah, they'd have to be full of malarky to try and pull that one.... or be a car salesperson!!!:rolleyes:

11. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Feb 3, 2007

No go on this job. My current principal told me not to accept the position until I talked to him. There is most likely going to be a full-time, contract position opening up at the school I am at in late February. I would love that position. I'm not sure what the grade would be yet.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 3, 2007

I'm sorry about the one that got away, but that sounds SO promising!!!