Interview Length

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kellian1, Jun 7, 2012.

1. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Interview Length?

Hi everyone,

Been lurking around this site for a few years and finally took the plunge :)

Anyway, I'm a new teacher, just got my certification a few months ago (social studies, yes I know should have gone math or science). I'm also a bit of an older new teacher (mid-late 30's).

I just had an interview with a school district that seemed pretty short to me. I've only been on 1 other teaching interview so far, and the previous one was with 3 people and was about 30-40 minutes.

This interview was the the department head, and went a little something like this:

I was told what subjects they were looking for, they told me a little about the position, then asked me the following

"tell me a little about yourself" - I tried to keep it short and we had a pretty ok back and forth but I could tell I was overexcited and probably talked a little to much. I was then asked what subjects I student taught, and was asked how my student teaching was and how it ended.

I basically answered the student teacher questions by saying how I taught, how the kids responded and what they felt like my last day or so there.I was then asked if I had any questions, I had one, and that was it. The whole thing was maybe 10-15 minutes (and that includes the question I asked).

I was told that the first interview is a "power interview" (I don't know what that is). I ended the interview by giving my electronic portfolio and that was it.

I have absolutely no read on how it went, the shortness is concerning. It did seem like the interviewer attended the same college I did as they knew alot about it, and perhaps even did their student teaching at the same school I did. As I mentioned both I got nods of approval as if they had familiarity with it.

So needless to say I'm confused and nervous about it. I've sent alot of resumes to school districts in the state and out of state and only had 2 calls/interviews in the last 6 months (though I guess I should feel lucky I've had 2 so far :) ), and i have very little experience with how to take what happened today.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

I can see these "power interviews" becoming more popular as they attempt to see as many candidates as possible and narrow the list with each step...first a power interview, then a more "legit" one, and finally perhaps a demo.

I figure it would be hard to determine how these first interviews go. Any indication of what their next move would be and when?

4. ktqt

ktqt Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

My first interview was for 15 minutes. The school had scheduled them for this length and they were only interviewing for 6 applicants. That said, we all worked within the school to some length (I tutored there). So they knew us some at that point.

Most of my interviews have been 40 minutes-1 hour. My longest was 2 hours and I still was not offered that job, so you just never know!

I was just offered a position where the interview was slightly over 1 hour. But I don't think time is the perfect gauge to how you did.

5. ktqt

ktqt Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

ps: E-mail those principals! Call those schools! Drop of resumes in person! Let them know you WANT this. If I had only filled out applications I would not have heard back from ONE SINGLE SCHOOL. I know it for a fact. Since the beginning of May, I have been on 7 interviews with 2 more lined up that I will probably need to cancel. Though I realize this might not be the norm, I attribute it to being extremely persistent.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised by the length, especially if this is a power interview. They are trying to learn a little more about you other than your cover letter and resume. They want to make sure that you are even able to teach the subjects that they are looking for. Give it a few days and see if you get called for a more formal interview.

7. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for the responses everyone! I was unfamiliar with the term power interview, so at least it makes sense now why it was shorter than I was expecting.

The interviewer didn't say anything other than thanks for coming in, so I have no idea what their plan is, time frame, or even how many other people they are interviewing.

I do know the school is having finals the end of next week, so I would think something would happen before then(sample lessons and all before the end of the year...maybe? not sure how that would work).

I emailed the interviewer a thank you note, that spoke to my interest and skills again, and hit one point I thought I missed in the power interview.

So here is hoping they call me! :thumb:

PS - Yeah I've tried to be as diligent as possible, most of my state does everything with online applications. I try to fish around as much as possible for email addresses and contact information as much as I can! When a school has a great website it's easy, when they don't...it can be a little more challenging

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 7, 2012

My interview was about thirty minutes, and the second one with the superintendent was about ten minutes but she didn't really ask any questions. It must have been enough!

9. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 7, 2012

Interviews I have been on over my career have ranged from a short ten miniutes to all day long affairs meeting with several individuals or groups over the process.

I found that length seems to have little to do with a job offer. For example, the ten minute interview resulted with me getting the job and the all day affairs resulted in no job. Each place has their own process.

10. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 7, 2012

11. kellian1

kellian1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Thanks for that! :thumb:

You don't know the amount of times people have said "why did you go Social Studies?". I always say because it's a passion of mine and if I'm going to try and teach others, It's always better if its something you like and feel good about